Medicine - Staten Island UNiversity Hospital

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Takeheed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
THey should call it: Staten Island "UNiversity" 'Ho-spit-all'.
OK, bottom line. I am telling you the honest truth. From hereon, if you fold you will be replying to this post in 6 mos crying, but I won't be following up.
I am a 2nd yr @ SIUH fortunate enough to have gotten another categorical position at another instution. A real residency. If you don't read on, just take this advice: Do NOT rank this program. Prelim or categorical. Unless you live 10 minutes away from this place or if you are a foreign grad in desperate need of a spot. Period. There's nothing else good about this program. All the stuff they told you at interviews are not true. You are overworked and do not learn anything. You will carry 12 patients a day for about 6 months. Crappy electives where you will be pulled to cover for people b.c the work just got them so sick to get out of bed. During this time all you do are H&Ps and write notes and discharges. Scutted like a monkey without a grain of education. Chasing films to be read, calling attendings and dealing with disgruntaled family. If you really want to do medicine. Don't come here. You will become a very bad physician and in the end you can't really blame the program. Only yourself b/c u decided to come here. There are no formal attending rounds. You review a patient at nauseum only to hope to get down in time for lunch. After 2 yrs, I still don't understand how they can call it a "university" hospital. the downstate students just hate it there. They laugh at the 1st yrs agony. Second yrs just do admit notes and don't know anything else b.c they've escaped the grind of being an intern, so they are never reachable. Thrid yrs... forget it. The free food is usually gone and people are animals. They order tons of kosher food only to have the jewish chief snag them home or bring them over to the chairman of medicine like a servant. THe afternoon lectures are nothing better than a fart. They usually are unorganized and are bootlegged DVDs. Come on are we still in med school studying from Kaplan? None of the attendings care about teaching. AS long as patients are admitted and leave, the hospital gets paid. THe patient care is among the worse I've ever seen. Nurses not drawing blood? and telling you what orders to write? Social work telling u when to discharge the patient? BUt they were just admitted? That's ok, we got pay from the insurance already. THe program director tries to make it better. BUt sometimes I feel he's out of the loop. Or maybe he's just the puppet. It will get worse now that Richmond University is closing. You will be taking care of the whole island...about a million people. Oh yeah if ya ain't lebanese, then become one. You ain't gonna be happy here. If you are indian or pakistani, you may stand a chance. They are coming up. Forget about all the bs about fellowships. Most women stand no chance at cardio. OK, enough. I know rankings are coming up soon and I wish someone gave me this advice 2 yrs ago. Don't be fooled. Do NOT rank it unless it is a last back up and you have no where else to go or if you grew up on the island and you are close. There are people who live in staten island and their commute is horrendous b.c of the trucks on the expressway in the AM. Best of luck to all of you. You can do better. Rememer: OVerworked and no learning. Become a good doctor!:luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, Takeheed,

Thanks for your post, I had an interview at Richmond Univ. program in staten island, they did not mention anything about closing the hospital at the interview. Could you tell me more about this?

Hi, Takeheed,

Thanks for your post, I had an interview at Richmond Univ. program in staten island, they did not mention anything about closing the hospital at the interview. Could you tell me more about this?

I didn't hear anything about Richmond Hospital closing.....where did you get this information?

THey should call it: Staten Island "UNiversity" 'Ho-spit-all'.
OK, bottom line. I am telling you the honest truth. From hereon, if you fold you will be replying to this post in 6 mos crying, but I won't be following up.
I am a 2nd yr @ SIUH fortunate enough to have gotten another categorical position at another instution. A real residency. If you don't read on, just take this advice: Do NOT rank this program. Prelim or categorical. Unless you live 10 minutes away from this place or if you are a foreign grad in desperate need of a spot. Period. There's nothing else good about this program. All the stuff they told you at interviews are not true. You are overworked and do not learn anything. You will carry 12 patients a day for about 6 months. Crappy electives where you will be pulled to cover for people b.c the work just got them so sick to get out of bed. During this time all you do are H&Ps and write notes and discharges. Scutted like a monkey without a grain of education. Chasing films to be read, calling attendings and dealing with disgruntaled family. If you really want to do medicine. Don't come here. You will become a very bad physician and in the end you can't really blame the program. Only yourself b/c u decided to come here. There are no formal attending rounds. You review a patient at nauseum only to hope to get down in time for lunch. After 2 yrs, I still don't understand how they can call it a "university" hospital. the downstate students just hate it there. They laugh at the 1st yrs agony. Second yrs just do admit notes and don't know anything else b.c they've escaped the grind of being an intern, so they are never reachable. Thrid yrs... forget it. The free food is usually gone and people are animals. They order tons of kosher food only to have the jewish chief snag them home or bring them over to the chairman of medicine like a servant. THe afternoon lectures are nothing better than a fart. They usually are unorganized and are bootlegged DVDs. Come on are we still in med school studying from Kaplan? None of the attendings care about teaching. AS long as patients are admitted and leave, the hospital gets paid. THe patient care is among the worse I've ever seen. Nurses not drawing blood? and telling you what orders to write? Social work telling u when to discharge the patient? BUt they were just admitted? That's ok, we got pay from the insurance already. THe program director tries to make it better. BUt sometimes I feel he's out of the loop. Or maybe he's just the puppet. It will get worse now that Richmond University is closing. You will be taking care of the whole island...about a million people. Oh yeah if ya ain't lebanese, then become one. You ain't gonna be happy here. If you are indian or pakistani, you may stand a chance. They are coming up. Forget about all the bs about fellowships. Most women stand no chance at cardio. OK, enough. I know rankings are coming up soon and I wish someone gave me this advice 2 yrs ago. Don't be fooled. Do NOT rank it unless it is a last back up and you have no where else to go or if you grew up on the island and you are close. There are people who live in staten island and their commute is horrendous b.c of the trucks on the expressway in the AM. Best of luck to all of you. You can do better. Rememer: OVerworked and no learning. Become a good doctor!:luck:

It seems someone is a little upset. There is no surprise in what you say. I think you made a bad choice ranking the program the first time around. From the people who have a choice, nobody would even interview here.

It seems someone is a little upset. There is no surprise in what you say. I think you made a bad choice ranking the program the first time around. From the people who have a choice, nobody would even interview here.

It's really like any other NYC community hospital. Only has the word "University" attached to it. Made up of IMGs almost entirely.

Hi, I am an IMG with 250s in 1 and ck cs pass, no attempts, fresh grad. How's the program? Should I rank it low

Status
Not open for further replies.