Medicine vs. Dentistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ladybug70

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
People all around me tell me I'm crazy for going into medicine as opposed to denistry. They say that dentists go through less schooling and get to the "money" faster. Also, it's easier to get into and it's just and easier profession. I"ve always disliked dentistry, so I could never do it, but is there any truth in this rubbish??

Members don't see this ad.

hey lady bug, before this medicine vs dentistry debate gets completely out of hand (again), you should just search the forums. There have been many many threads on this topic. there was a memorable one just about a few weeks ago. check it out.

There is some truth to it. You can search and find a million threads on this all over SDN and the internet.

Just do what you think you would enjoy. Don't go into something based on the schooling/money.

Members don't see this ad :)
Seriously, if you want money and less schooling, look into banking. Do what is in your heart.

I concur. Its not all about less school, easier job, and more $$. If that was the case, dealing drugs would be the best job ever. :D

Both are very tough and demanding careers, although medicine in general tends to be more so. Medicine in general also tends to pay more the dentistry.

I concur. Its not all about less school, easier job, and more $$. If that was the case, dealing drugs would be the best job ever. :D
on a similar note, I've got docs and nurses always telling me to go to pharmacy school instead of med school. the hours are better and the pay is still good.

maybe as a backup plan.

Well you don't need to do residency in dentistry- so that's less "schooling" and faster money. But then again, that also means you have to be a dentist. Ugh!

People all around me tell me I'm crazy for going into medicine as opposed to denistry. They say that dentists go through less schooling and get to the "money" faster. Also, it's easier to get into and it's just and easier profession. I"ve always disliked dentistry, so I could never do it, but is there any truth in this rubbish??

For the love of god people, it is a forgone conclusion that pharmacy and dentistry is way better than medicine, so stop generating these threads and reminding premeds they made a mistake.

For the love of god people, it is a forgone conclusion that pharmacy and dentistry is way better than medicine, so stop generating these threads and reminding premeds they made a mistake.
SDN is the only place where this is a 'foregone' conclusion. No med student in my class nor doctor that I've spoken with have said that pharamcy or dentistry is a better profession---and we are a school with both a dental and pharmacy school in our university. I think this is more of a personal opinion than an obvious fact, at least where I am.

Don't forget about podiatrists. They can make MAD money. Seeing as how I'm getting shafted this acceptance cycle, podiatry looks pretty good right about now.

Don't forget about podiatrists. They can make MAD money. Seeing as how I'm getting shafted this acceptance cycle, podiatry looks pretty good right about now.

There are enough doctors that wish they had been shafted like you so they could have done something else. I don't know about podiatry though.

Dutchman, you seem to know so much (and exzaggerate) about the potential pitfalls of medicine (and you advertise them like its your dying wish). So, I'm just curious: what exactly ARE you? High school student? College student? Med student? Resident? Doctor?