Mediocre applicant: research year off?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
S

StudentX

Assuming I end up with a 215 on Step 1 and "good" but not stellar clinical evals and LOR's coming from a "top 20" school, what do I need to do to improve my chances of landing a residency anywhere in the U.S.? I know acing Step 2 is a must, but would a year off of research make a difference?

Members don't see this ad.

StudentX said:
Assuming I end up with a 215 on Step 1 and "good" but not stellar clinical evals and LOR's coming from a "top 20" school, what do I need to do to improve my chances of landing a residency anywhere in the U.S.? I know acing Step 2 is a must, but would a year off of research make a difference?

I recently matched and scored lower than you did on step 1. I did do a lot better on step 2 and took it early enough to include on my application. I think it really helped me. I would apply and if you don't match then consider taking a year for research or something else to help your application. My 2 cents anyway. Good luck.

StudentX said:
I know acing Step 2 is a must, but would a year off of research make a difference?

maybe. at the more academic programs, perhaps. at the more clinical programs, no. i always enourage people to take a year off "to do research" because they want to do research not because they think it will look better on their application. coming from someone who took 2 years off (and who would do it all over again), i will say that a year goes by quickly and will earn you a decent ARVO poster, but the people who can actually publish their research in a decent peer reviewed journal within 1 year are few and far between. should you decide to do this, make sure you work with a PI who knows and understands your goals of jumping into a project and getting started immediately. i've seen too many people spin their wheels for six months with no results and very little to show at the end of a year (except for compounded interest on their student loans ;) ). PM me if you have any more questions.

good luck!

Acing Step 2 isn't even a must. I had a slightly better score on Step 1 and matched in ophtho. I still haven't taken Step 2. I plan on taking it in a month (with no pressure other than to simply pass). Pass = Ophtho residency.