Mediocre PCAT and Creighton Distance Program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Joleybear

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Will this likely keep me from acceptance? The backstory is I am a mother of 3 kids, 2 have disabilities (autism/nonverbal) and I only applied to Creighton and LECOM. I have been invited to interview at both schools.

Creighton no longer requires the PCAT and either does LECOM, but by the time they said this and I noticed I had already paid for it and it was past the refund date.

So, I decided to take it anyway. I also had planned to study after Dec 15 when my courses ceased, but that didn't happen. I ended up needing to switch my son's therapy company, having terrible insurance issues where it was accidentally canceled, my daughter needed two dental procedures with nitrous and my son needed ear tubes, then all of my kids got sick with strep throat. So it came the week of the exam when my last kid had to be taken to urgent care and then I woke up the day prior to the PCAT sick. I studied as much as I could considering and woke of the day of with only 3 hours of sleep, 102-103* fevers all day and a severe migraine that was causing me to be dizzy but I still went to my test because $200 is a lot of money and I am poor as dirt...

I took the test, but because I was sick and I have OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder) the timer was brutal. I already have the tendency to re-read everything and my head throbbing made it worse so I had to guess on like 10 questions per section.... below is the score I got. I was actually content considering how sick I was and not studying more than like two days recently but now I'm concerned it's way too low...Reading is my best subject and I was in the 99% in practice Pearson tests but while ill I couldnt even do any of the last set/article :( I couldnt retain it because of how bad my head hurt so I ran out of time and I had to guess on the entire last article...

PCAT
Bio 58%
Chem 66%
Reading 70%
Quantitative Reasoning 53%
Composite 62%

GPA (total) 3.4 - this is up from 3.2 after my last 2 semesters/23 credit hours because I had straight As in my last 5 courses - Organic Chemistry I and II, Calculus, Anthropology, and Physical Science

PreRequisite GPA was a 3.25 but will be higher now because of the last two semesters... I assume 3.4+ considering the full one went up 0.2 and I have over 100 credit hours.

No experience, no extracurricular, no volunteer work (because of my kids) except for virtual volunteering. I volunteer to write resumes for people who are unemployed in my community via Facebook groups and I have also helped transcribe some text etc on the web to volunteer.

I have an interview set this Friday, January 11, 2019.

Ironically I didn't even get strep... it's something else and the Dr sent me 3 prescriptions including steroids and codeine mixed with some oral cough medicine to help me sleep + other stuff. lol

Thanks for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Why are you worried about PCAT score if both your schools you applied to don’t consider it?

I understand it’s a contingency back-up, but you don’t worry until you apply to a third program that looks at it.

What you need to be careful about is explaining your family obligations vs being a pharm student. It sounds like family needs won’t ease up once you start school so I’d suggest on interview day to keep it “simple” and explain how being a parent and multi-tasking with life endeavors will prepare you to be a diligent student day in and day out.

If a 3.4 Overall GPA and a 3.4 pre-req holds true then your doing good. Albeit experience and working as a tech is strongly suggested (I wish required), many of your peers will also have no experience.

TLDR; if school doesn’t require it, stop worrying about it

Why are you worried about PCAT score if both your schools you applied to don’t consider it?

I understand it’s a contingency back-up, but you don’t worry until you apply to a third program that looks at it.

What you need to be careful about is explaining your family obligations vs being a pharm student. It sounds like family needs won’t ease up once you start school so I’d suggest on interview day to keep it “simple” and explain how being a parent and multi-tasking with life endeavors will prepare you to be a diligent student day in and day out.

If a 3.4 Overall GPA and a 3.4 pre-req holds true then your doing good. Albeit experience and working as a tech is strongly suggested (I wish required), many of your peers will also have no experience.

TLDR; if school doesn’t require it, stop worrying about it

I already explained all that in my personal statement and I was able to get straight As with the kids and more than this going on so it shouldn't be an issue. The test was harder since I was sick and it was so long. I also will have experience one I start the program. I have some people working in Pharmacy who are willing to help me start as a Technician.

As for them not requiring it...that is a recent thing. Even if they do not require it, they will see my score, won't they? It was sent to PharmCAS. I would assume even if they don't require it that it's human nature to struggle to not let those factors affect you.

Also, there is no third program. I can only do the distance programs. We are EXTREMELY low income. I cannot afford to work 40 hours a week without pay or to move out of state right now (IL). I was attending UIC and if I could do 40 hrs I would be in their program...I was encouraged to apply and had a wonderful reputation there. I really love Creighton and LECOM looks nice too so I am okay with my options, but they are limited.

If you really think they won't look at it I guess I'll quit thinking about it though. :) And I am positive about my GPA. My science went up from 3.25 to 3.38 and math went from 3.33 to 3.48 so those with the other pre-requisites should all be over 3.4 for sure for pre-requisites.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Even if they do not require it, they will see my score, won't they? It was sent to PharmCAS. I would assume even if they don't require it that it's human nature to struggle to not let those factors affect you.

Everything is digital - electronic submission (if it’s mailed in scores it would get tossed before final department entry reviews). They’d have to go out of their way to open and observe your scores. Their goal is simple: Get through every candidate applying as fast and diligent as possible. Most use a point chart or screening just to cut down applicant reviews and secure interview spots.

You could have a 99 score and it won’t put someone over another for issuing interviews. You have the interview...Your fine. Don’t bring it up and focus on your qualities.

Reactions: 1 user
Everything is digital - electronic submission (if it’s mailed in scores it would get tossed before final department entry reviews). They’d have to go out of their way to open and observe your scores. Their goal is simple: Get through every candidate applying as fast and diligent as possible. Most use a point chart or screening just to cut down applicant reviews and secure interview spots.

You could have a 99 score and it won’t put someone over another for issuing interviews. You have the interview...Your fine. Don’t bring it up and focus on your qualities.
Thank you :) appreciate the perspective