This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xQuisite

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
x

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your stats are fine. Your sGPA is right around average and your cGPA is a little lower than average, but my no means a deal breaker. I would say the only things lacking are research (which many say is overrated) and non-clinical volunteering. Find something to do off campus like homeless shelter, Boys and Girls club, tutoring underprivileged kids, etc. Other than that, you should be good to go.

Reactions: 1 user
I suggest these schools with your stats:
Colorado
Vermont
Tufts
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Georgetown
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
NOVA MD
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Creighton
TCU-UNT

Hey all, I'm planning on applying for the 2021 application cycle and would appreciate your help with creating a school list. I would prefer MD programs but am completely open to DO.

1. cGPA: 3.6 (3.1/3.7/3.6/4.0)
sGPA: 3.6 (2.9/3.7/4.0/4.0)
I had a poor freshman year as I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life and was slacking off. I still have a semester left of my senior year, but these likely won't change much if at all.
2. MCAT: 512
3. Colorado resident. ORM. First in my family to pursue medicine.
I have lots of extended family in Massachusetts. Could I make a case for state-ties?
4. OOS at an average private university - Microbiology degree.
5. Clinical Experience:
~750 hours of ER scribing
~100 hours as an EMT
~250 hours as an Anesthesia Technician in the OR. Current position and plan to continue this throughout the 2020 year.
6. Research Experience:
~50 hours of research. Did this for course credit, wasn't even going to mention this on my applications.
7. Shadowing Experience:
~25 hours shadowing ER doctors.
~16 hours shadowing an anesthesiologist.
I'm not sure if either of these would be considered formal shadowing. I worked with all of these doctors and just asked if I could shadow them for a day or two, but never submit a hospital shadowing form or anything as I was an employee at the facilities and just walked in. I'm planning on finding a PCP to shadow before the applications open.
8. Volunteering:
Clinical: ~100 hours of hospital volunteering, continuing this currently, but considering switching to hospice volunteering
~50 hours working EMS/First Aid tents at different University events.
Non-clinical: ~50 hours as a peer mentor at my university.
~50 hours doing various community service projects with AMSA.
9. Extracurriculars:
Held a few different leadership positions in an EMS related club.
AMSA for 4 years. Did suture clinics, cadaver labs, interview practice, guest speakers, etc.
10. Awards: Nothing significant (e.g., Dean's list)
11. Hobbies: Probably can't mention this as there's no suitable way to quantify these?
Working on cars - maintenance, performance mods, etc.
Weightlifting

Current list:
CU Anschutz
RVUCOM
(Yea I need help)

I'd appreciate any recommendations for schools to apply to or weak spots in my application. Thanks!
I recommend:

UCF
Hofstra
U Toledo
U IA
U VM
Pitt
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
Wayne State
MCW
NYMC
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Tufts
Drexel
Creighton
George Washington
Georgetown
Emory
Tulane
Dartmouth
Loyola
Netter
Oakland-B
Western MI
Seton Hall
Your state school(s).
Nova MD
TCU/UNT
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)

Any DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me. CalHS is too new and appears to be too limited in rotations sites.

Reactions: 1 user