Medschool and tattoos

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Calizboosted76

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I was having a discussion with my aunt who is a vet and she feels that I am going to have a tough time getting into medical school due to having tattoos. All of which are easily covered. My question is if they are all easily covered will I have an issue? I am a very clean cut person and clean up nicely.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone, I was having a discussion with my aunt who is a vet and she feels that I am going to have a tough time getting into medical school due to having tattoos. All of which are easily covered. My question is if they are all easily covered will I have an issue? I am a very clean cut person and clean up nicely.
If you're planning to undress at your interview, then yeah, those tattoos could be a problem. Actually, they'd be the least of your problems. So never mind.

Bottom line: your aunt surely means well and I bet she's really great, but she doesn't have a clue what she's talking about on this one.

Reactions: 10 users
If you're planning to undress at your interview, then yeah, those tattoos could be a problem. Actually, they'd be the least of your problems. So never mind.
That's pretty much my go-to line when someone asks about my back tattoo being a problem for med school interviews. I always go with "If one of my interviewers is somehow looking at my bare back, it's not the tattoo that's going to get me rejected!"

Reactions: 1 user
1.) Depends what the tattoo is
2.) Depends on the size of the tattoo
3.) Depends where the tattoo is located

1.) Depends what the tattoo is
2.) Depends on the size of the tattoo
3.) Depends where the tattoo is located
I have two
Half sleeve: Alice in wonderland and Pokémon mash up.
Other half sleeve: tribal
Inner bicep: “mommas boy”
Chest : siblings zodiac symbols and family first

I have two

Should be fine. Though, I'm not an ADCOM.

Although, I personally would feel weird writing "momma" anywhere on my body, but to each their own.

Reactions: 2 users
I have two
All will be covered by a suit during your interview. Don't put on a re-enactment of Magic Mike during your interview and they'll never even know you have tattoos.

Although if you do decide to put on a Magic Mike show during a med school interview, please make sure to post a video to youtube.

Reactions: 5 users
Should be fine. Though, I'm not an ADCOM.

Although, I personally would feel weird writing "momma" anywhere on my body, but to each their own.
Well during my interviews (If i receive any) all of my tattoos will be covered.

All will be covered by a suit during your interview. Don't put on a re-enactment of Magic Mike during your interview and they'll never even know you have tattoos.

Although if you do decide to put on a Magic Mike show during a med school interview, please make sure to post a video to youtube.
I definitely will! Lol!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
You're fine. Just don't pull a Mike Tyson.

Fellow tattooed premed here! (I have a lot! Like, I have to wear pants, long sleeves, and a shirt with a high neckline to cover most of mine. And then I’ll still have to figure out how to cover a few more after that..) Anyway, we got this.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Fellow tattooed premed here! (I have a lot! Like, I have to wear pants, long sleeves, and a shirt with a high neckline to cover most of mine. And then I’ll still have to figure out how to cover a few more after that..) Anyway, we got this.

Awesome! Yea fortunately for medschool sake All mine can be covered with shorts and a long sleeve shirt sleeves rolled up to my elbows. BUT I am starting my leg sleeve soon so so will have to wear pants lol

I have 10! And the one on my wrist and the multiple on my feet are super hard to cover but I've had 5 interviews and haven't had a problem. As long as no future patients have an issue with the visible ones (some of which are religious), I'll be fine!

I have 10! And the one on my wrist and the multiple on my feet are super hard to cover but I've had 5 interviews and haven't had a problem. As long as no future patients have an issue with the visible ones (some of which are religious), I'll be fine!
Yea none of mine should cause any uproar. Besides the capterpie from Pokémon mixed with absolem from Alice in wonderland smoking a hookah.

Sorry, you have chosen to live outside polite society. Your best hopes for employment are boxing ring spit bucket holder, chili restaurant toilet unclogger, reptile circus feeder-rat handler, or attorney. Things are not looking good for you, my friend.

Reactions: 3 users
Easily hidden tattoos won't hinder your admittance. I have several tattoos that don't show up when I'm professionally dressed and it wasn't an issue

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry, you have chosen to live outside polite society. Your best hopes for employment are boxing ring spit bucket holder, chili restaurant toilet unclogger, reptile circus feeder-rat handler, or attorney. Things are not looking good for you, my friend.
Lmao

What about a porta potty attendant?

What about a porta potty attendant?
With a tattoo? You wish!

Maybe you could be in charge of expressing dogs' anal glands at your local dog groomer, or work at a women's self-defense class as the "mugger" who gets kicked in the balls forty times a day.

With a tattoo? You wish!

Maybe you could be in charge of expressing dogs' anal glands at your local dog groomer, or work at a women's self-defense class as the "mugger" who gets kicked in the balls forty times a day.

Lmfao the funny part of this is I am a veterinary technician at the moment and have to express dogs anal glands

I have 10 tattoos and have been working in healthcare for a decade. Never been a problem. A lot of doctors comment on them positively. If anyone hasn’t liked them, they didn’t say anything or treat me differently. The only negative comment I’ve ever received from a patient was that I looked too young lol.

OP, you’re fine.

Remember though: like personalized license plates, your tattoo is only cool to you. Everyone else shakes their head and laughs.

The only concern is what they are tattoos of, if they are visible. I have two that show when I'm in scrubs. None of the attendings really care. Just get ready for patients to ask you about them. When you're auscultating and the only thing they can do is quietly stare at your arms, you're bound to get some questions.

The only concern is what they are tattoos of, if they are visible. I have two that show when I'm in scrubs. None of the attendings really care. Just get ready for patients to ask you about them. When you're auscultating and the only thing they can do is quietly stare at your arms, you're bound to get some questions.

I have six that are visible in scrubs and short sleeves. None of my tattoos are offensive or anything, but the two I get asked about the most are my wedding band and a math tattoo I have on my right arm.

I have six that are visible in scrubs and short sleeves. None of my tattoos are offensive or anything, but the two I get asked about the most are my wedding band and a math tattoo I have on my right arm.
The one that draws the most attention on my is my half sleeve which includes the mad hatter throwing a poke ball at the Cheshire Cat, along with ash and pikachu falling down the rabbit hole, and caterpillar/absolem

The one that draws the most attention on my is my half sleeve which includes the mad hatter throwing a poke ball at the Cheshire Cat, along with ash and pikachu falling down the rabbit hole, and caterpillar/absolem

I’m thinking of getting a plot of the Riemann zeta function on my arm. That would be cool but probably get a lot of questions.

I’m thinking of getting a plot of the Riemann zeta function on my arm. That would be cool but probably get a lot of questions.
That would be a cool idea, but would definitely draw some questions from people who don’t know what it is. But they’d probably just think you got squiggles on your arm. Haha

Here's a press photo of a first-year medical student in a community free clinic
Screen Shot 2017-12-12 at 8.30.45 AM.png

at Dell Medical School in Austin, TX. Tattoos are very common in Austin in general.

Reactions: 3 users
OP, you’re fine.

Remember though: like personalized license plates, your tattoo is only cool to you. Everyone else shakes their head and laughs.

This doesn't apply to me does it? Do you guys like my plates?

I see that it’s been a minute since anyone’s posted but if anyone is out there I’d appreciate a response. I was recently accepted to medical school with 2 tattoos on my neck and one on my hand (nothing offensive). I covered them up as best I could during the interview but it was impossible to completely do. Nevertheless here I am. Question now is residency placement. Does anybody have any experience with other residents that had un-coverable tattoos? If I would’ve known 10 years ago that I was going to be accepted to medical school I probably....maybe....IDK, but once again, here I am. ‍♂️ any feedback?