MedSchool Computer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

substandardasian

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a new computer before I start Med School in the Fall and I was looking at my institutions "optimal requirements" that they "strongly recommend for students purchasing a new computer". This seems like complete overkill, unless there is some massive amount of computing that I'll be required to do and am completely unaware of. What do you all recommend?

Aforementioned "Optimal Requirements":
  • Operating System: OS X 10.12.
  • No tablet computers allowed.
  • Memory: 16GB.
  • Hard drive: 256 SSD+.
  • Processor: i5 sixth generation+ or i7.
  • Screen: 15.6”+.
  • Wi-Fi capable: 802.11g/n/ac (dual band)
  • Ethernet capable.
  • Bluetooth.
  • Latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari.

Members don't see this ad.

There are plenty of threads on this topic. Use the search bar and search for this. Tons of people have macbook pros, surface tablets, dell xps, lenovo. It really doesn't matter what computer you have as long as it can run anki, watch videos online, facebook, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Outside of the 16GB of memory, I don't think any of it is overkill. Honestly, 16GB probably wouldn't be terrible depending on how you study. I have multiple Office programs, 10-15 Chrome tabs, and various other programs open and it eats up the memory pretty fast (I have 8GB).

Just go with what fits your budget and you'll be fine. Dell, Apple, Lenovo, all make good laptops.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is not overkill. 16gb of ram is pretty handy for multiple program use. Applications are only becoming more resource hungry. If you want 8gb of ram would be fine but with 16 you never worry about anything in the background slowing you down.

Not sure why they require apple laptop. If you get these specs you would be paying twice as much. I think you'd be fine with windows. If you are an apple fan boy then you will have to just pay up.

You’re way over thinking it.. if your a apple fanboy grab a MacBook, if you like Microsoft then grab a surface pro (whatever generation they are on now). This dead horse has been beaten every cycle..

As someone who has had both Mac and Windows PC computers, I would really recommend going with Apple if you can afford it. Tech support and repair down the line is so much easier. In both cases for major repairs you'll have to send in the computer but Apple is often more efficient with it. I also think Macs last longer but that's just my personal experience. If you also have an iPhone and/or iPad, syncing is more seamless if you have a Mac as well.

Matebook X Pro.
Basically a Macbook Pro ripoff, but with a full touchscreen, equivalent specs with the fully-souped Pro down the line, and half the price. Still expensive, but a better deal than Mac, if you're not an Apple fanboy. Which, if you were, you wouldn't be asking which computer to get, lol.

I do agree that on average, Apples last a bit longer, but to be frank, I'd rather have a computer half the price and get a new one a few years earlier (with all the latest specs) than get the 2x as expensive one up front. Computers are the one thing that works that way, imo, because things advance so quickly.

Plus, I honestly think that Apple has stagnated a bit since Jobs has been gone.
I spent more time setting up my computer/phone combo than someone who buys all Apple, but I ended up with all of the same perks...photos, videos, etc. all sync'd between my computer, phone, and my backup harddrive on my home wifi without me thinking about it, plus my texts come through on my computer and I can respond to them from there, just like iMessage.

Reactions: 1 users
I dont see Macbooks lasting longer especially the new ones

FWIW my school has a weird list of ‘requirements’ as well, and I get by with my $350 Lenovo from 2014 and an iPad for convenience. Don’t spend a zillion dollars on a top of the line computer unless you really want one.

16 gb isn't overkill. I have chrome and discord open right now and my laptop is using 4.8 gb of memory just sitting here. Imagine trying to run 2-3 taxing programs at once. In my opinion saying "15.6"+" screen is overkill. 15.6" is pretty big for a laptop and any bigger would be extremely annoying IMO as most bags/backpacks are made to hold a 15.6" laptop maximum.

My set up will be my desktop (16 gb RAM, Ryzen 5 2600x, SSD and HDD) with dual monitors because I plan to study from home and have a good quality 13" to 15.6" laptop for studying elsewhere/taking it to campus. Right now I'm leaning towards the Surface Laptop 1 or 2.

You could also bypass the whole desktop and get a more powerful laptop and just use an external monitor when you want a bigger screen.

Matebook X Pro.
Basically a Macbook Pro ripoff, but with a full touchscreen, equivalent specs with the fully-souped Pro down the line, and half the price. Still expensive, but a better deal than Mac, if you're not an Apple fanboy. Which, if you were, you wouldn't be asking which computer to get, lol.

I do agree that on average, Apples last a bit longer, but to be frank, I'd rather have a computer half the price and get a new one a few years earlier (with all the latest specs) than get the 2x as expensive one up front. Computers are the one thing that works that way, imo, because things advance so quickly.

Plus, I honestly think that Apple has stagnated a bit since Jobs has been gone.
I spent more time setting up my computer/phone combo than someone who buys all Apple, but I ended up with all of the same perks...photos, videos, etc. all sync'd between my computer, phone, and my backup harddrive on my home wifi without me thinking about it, plus my texts come through on my computer and I can respond to them from there, just like iMessage.
what app do you use for messaging on your computer?

AOL_Instant_Messenger_logo%2C_1999.png

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)

#368808 +(10730)- [X]

<@David> Yay I get laid today! Been a month.... needing it by now
<@Sony> ...........
<@Sony> TMI TMI TMI
<@David> Only a few hundred pounds but its better than nothing
<Malpine> Thanks for the info
<@David> eh?
<@David> damn i meant PAID
<@David> I get PAID today
<@David> dammit

These “optimal requirements” are laughable.

They say the generation of processor without mentioning a ghz, aka the actual speed of the processor.

I love how they also specify a screen size. LOL

Plus a hard drive requirement that has to be solid state? Lol what the hell.

These “optimal requirements” are laughable.

They say the generation of processor without mentioning a ghz, aka the actual speed of the processor.

I love how they also specify a screen size. LOL

Plus a hard drive requirement that has to be solid state? Lol what the hell.
I dont think the actual speed of the processor matters, considering anything in that gen from intel in i5 or i7 format is going to run well. That being said, I agree that the screen size is ludicrous, Like there isnt even a macbook with a 15.6"+ screen size. The 15 inch is 15.4. Plus resolution matters more than just raw size.
If I was the IT guy I would want everyone to buy solid stats so I dont have to deal with failed spinning harddrive or slow computers.

I personally prefer a tablet/ surface to a computer. I like being able to annotate and draw on notes and slides which I can do better on my tablet. That comes down to personal preference though.

You’re way over thinking it.. if your a apple fanboy grab a MacBook, if you like Microsoft then grab a surface pro (whatever generation they are on now). This dead horse has been beaten every cycle..

Users all around me with brand new or relatively new Surface Books and Surface Pros crying tales of woe. They are crap.

For in class and for studying an iPad Pro with Apple Pencil and Notability is absolutely the way to go, and a MacBook Pro back at the ranch for the heavy lifting.

Users all around me with brand new or relatively new Surface Books and Surface Pros crying tales of woe. They are crap.

For in class and for studying an iPad Pro with Apple Pencil and Notability is absolutely the way to go, and a MacBook Pro back at the ranch for the heavy lifting.
lol. Most of the people in my class love their surface books or surface pros and have never had issues since we are sharing anecdotes.

Macbook pro 1299 for cheapest one.
Ipad pro 799 for cheapest one.
Ipad pencil 99

Surface pro 899
Pencil 99
Keyboard 129

Surface book 2 1149

I could buy two generations of surface pro or surface book over 4 years and still come out ahead with newer hardware none the less. Not to mention if you end up buying apple care or Microsofts extended warranty reliability would be similar, since your device is covered. Plus the lack of having to carry around two separate devices with chargers and accessories.

That's not true. The # people in my school that run down to the IT guys right before the exam starts because their Macs aren't working is staggering; that's just way too stressful for me. I wouldn't chance any of that. If you love apple, have one on the side as your play laptop...but for work/school and more serious stuff..I'd stick with a surface or lenovo or any windows machine. Also, the Apple Pencil is a joke compared to the surface pen.

Last edited: