Medschoolconsult/coach

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
www.medschoolconsult.com
www.medschoolcoach.com

Just heard about this from a friend. Has anyone used them? Reviews? They seem pretty legit

What makes you think you really need their services? If you write well, read SDN, have a decent pre-med program, utilize your career center (for mock interviews, resume help, etc.), and so forth, I see no reason to pay an outside company for these services. You should be able to succeed at this w/o spending your (or your parents') hard-earned money on this kind of consulting.

Though I agree with the above poster, that still requires you to be fairly objective about your application which is not always easy. Sometimes having a third party take a look can be helpful. I can personally vouch for these guys. I got a free 30 minute consult and I actually felt bad that I didn't pay; it really helped me understand what my message needed to be on my application.

http://www.passportadmissions.com/

Members don't see this ad :)
They have connections to top tier adcoms all over the country.

I can/will use my school's career center, but these guys are a specifically dedicated private service. Overall, they seem like the most reliable help I could ever get because I unfortunately don't know any adcom members.

Plus they're only a couple hundred bucks for the regular services. I was never planning on buying those 1000 dollar packages

obvious_troll.jpg

Ugh, if your choice is school career center or them.....choose them:) Career centers are notorious for giving bad advice, at least around here:)

Uh screw off? I've lurked these forums for a while and have noticed people's obsessions with "trolling". I'm asking for legit advice about a private service.

And thank you cougar. What is usually so bad about career centers?

:shrug: I don't know. I just know I have gotten some HORRIBLE advice. Like "You have to major in X to go to law school" or "You have to major in Y to go to medical school" which is just plain FALSE. Or "This engineering math class? Yeah, you need to take that. Because you're a social science major."

I have just found that you are better off looking up things yourself or asking people who are actually in the industry.

Even if he/she IS a troll(it is not clear to me that s/he is), it is a valid question and other people who lurk who may be wondering the same.

Sounds like to me someone is getting payed to advertise here.

There is plenty of free advice to be had, from here, your friends, your advisor (depending on the advisor), those already in school, etc. Are you unable to be honest with yourself?

There is plenty of free advice to be had, from here, your friends, your advisor (depending on the advisor), those already in school, etc. Are you unable to be honest with yourself?

Believe what you want but I am not with this company. I have actually just graduated undergrad and only decided on being premed halfway into junior year, so I'm pretty behind in the process.

Most of my friends were business majors b/c my school has a kickass school for that. The premed friends I do have give me the same generic advice: do well in your prereqs (almost finished w/ them, B/A-'s in most), nail the MCAT (just started studying for it).

I'm being totally honest w/ myself in that I need all the help I can get since I am out of school and have very few ulterior sources

As a non trad with no advisor resources....it was a big help for me. And honesty doesn't help that much when you've never been through the process and don't know anyone who has been through the process(recently). It was a suggestion and that was ALL. Believe me if I worked for them I would be in medical school already and not on this damn board.

As a non trad with no advisor resources....it was a big help for me. And honesty doesn't help that much when you've never been through the process and don't know anyone who has been through the process(recently). It was a suggestion and that was ALL. Believe me if I worked for them I would be in medical school already and not on this damn board.

Cougs, I wasn't talking about you...

I thought your post was helpful.

www.medschoolconsult.com
www.medschoolcoach.com

Just heard about this from a friend. Has anyone used them? Reviews? They seem pretty legit

The second website looks shady as ****. Last updated in 2007? Their contact email is @gmail? Besides, what could two med students POSSIBLY know that costs hundreds to thousands of dollars when you can get the same advice from med students/residents here?

As for the first one, packages starting from 4000-7000?! For what? "One-on-one School Selection based on preference, stats and our adivsers assessment of your application" That just sounds like WAMC -_-

Members don't see this ad :)
The second website looks shady as ****. Last updated in 2007? Their contact email is @gmail? Besides, what could two med students POSSIBLY know that costs hundreds to thousands of dollars when you can get the same advice from med students/residents here?

As for the first one, packages starting from 4000-7000?! For what? "One-on-one School Selection based on preference, stats and our adivsers assessment of your application" That just sounds like WAMC -_-

well the copyright is 2007. not sure but I don't think that means it was last updated in 2007. that sample page says those advisors are just 2 of their staff. i think they actually may have a bunch more people, at least 10 or 15.

and like i said, i'm definitely not wasting my money on those thousand dollar packages. however, some of those 100/200 dollar deals look good if it means that ill have some sort of mentor who's already been through all of this who I can pretty much call upon all the time w/o appointment

and like cougarmd said, if I worked for these guys and was already accepted (at any of those schools mentioned), I wouldn't be lurking this damn forum

well the copyright is 2007. not sure but I don't think that means it was last updated in 2007. that sample page says those advisors are just 2 of their staff. i think they actually may have a bunch more people, at least 10 or 15.

and like i said, i'm definitely not wasting my money on those thousand dollar packages. however, some of those 100/200 dollar deals look good if it means that ill have some sort of mentor who's already been through all of this who I can pretty much call upon all the time w/o appointment

and like cougarmd said, if I worked for these guys and was already accepted (at any of those schools mentioned), I wouldn't be lurking this damn forum

Before you spend money, just post your question somewhere in this website. I'm pretty sure someone will give you the right answer. I looked at their blog and the answers they give are almost identical to the ones you find here.

Being that this was double posted in the pre osteo forum, I agree with long. This has to be an advertisement. Not to mention the sales pitch tone of your responses. Waste of money.

That's $125 per HOUR for the second link or $4000 flat for the first link.
This is a rip off, and for people who don't have the know-how to utilize the abundant and free resources available to them.
If you're willing to spend $125 to talk to some random guy over the phone (and yes, I bet it's only 1-2 guys who are nowhere near actual adcoms), every time you have a few questions that could have been answered here or through your own research for free... then sure go ahead and waste your money. You deserve it.

Before you spend money, just post your question somewhere in this website. I'm pretty sure someone will give you the right answer. I looked at their blog and the answers they give are almost identical to the ones you find here.

Yeah, this site is pretty solid. I'd say the only thing they really can't give you is mock interviews but they make up for that with interview feedback to give you something to expect. This site should cost money but then it wouldn't be half as awesome.

Also, stop with all this troll nonsense. Not everyone that asks a stupid question is a troll (not that this was a stupid question, I thought it was a legitimate one).

Last edited:
Most of the stuff they'll tell you is available on SDN. BUT, like the poster above me said, they could prove to be helpful with the personal statement. However, I think having a few friends who have been through the process already and a few doctors with good writing look over your PS could get you the same results.

<>

Anyone know the best way to go around writing these really short secondaries?

Last edited: