Medulla vs. Chemoreceptors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

D.D.S.

..Hopefully..
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am confused about the role of these two? are they the same?
The medulla is the "breathing center" which controls heart rate and breathing rate by monitoriing the pH and CO2 levels, but doesnt the chemoreceptors do this as well? can you compare and contrast these two for me?

Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

well first of all...medulla is a part of hindbrain whereas chemoreceptors are just receptors located in medulla (i think...there might be more located somewhere else)

medulla has 3 kinds of acitivty - cardiovascular ( regulates heart beat), respiratory (regulates rythm of breathing), and gastrointestinal activity ( controls reflexes of vomiting, coughing, & sneezing)

chemoreceptors - are the chemical receptors, as the name suggest which monitors chemical changes in the blood. They are one kind of many receptors. Yes they detect O2, Co2, and H+ levels. I guess they detect something unusual and send that message to medulla ...which for eg. takes action to breathe faster for more oxygen if CO2 levels have increased.

Good good.

On point, ms tooth

1 more thing:

chemoreceptors are found in carotid sinuses and aortic arch as well...

Members don't see this ad :)
Pretty much what they said .... I dont know if this helps clarify a little more but here is what i remember from my enivronmental exercise physiology class...

Chemoreceptors detect CO2 in blood and monitor H+ concentrations. If CO2 or H+ levels are too high the inspiratory center in the medulla sends nerve impulses via the phrenic nerve to the external intercostal muscles and diaphram. This increases Breathing rate and you essentially "breath out" the extra CO2 and and increase blood pH. Chemoreceptors in the medulla (central chemoreceptors) eventually desensitize whereas carotid artery and aorta chemoreceptors (peripheral chemoreceptors) dont desensitize.

Hope that helps