Meeting adcoms

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

titan3035

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard everyone talk about the importance of "meeting adcoms" and "getting your name out there" and i'm just curious how you all are doing this.

I consider myself to be a social guy and i'm not shy at all but i am concerned about going about "getting my name" out there in the wrong way. I can only imagine how annoying it must be for adcoms to have prospective students constantly knocking at their doors.

ideas anyone?? I apply this cycle and would love to start on this now.

Thanks for your help!!!

Members don't see this ad.

titan3035 said:
I have heard everyone talk about the importance of "meeting adcoms" and "getting your name out there" and i'm just curious how you all are doing this.

I consider myself to be a social guy and i'm not shy at all but i am concerned about going about "getting my name" out there in the wrong way. I can only imagine how annoying it must be for adcoms to have prospective students constantly knocking at their doors.

Thanks for your help!!!

Some schools have open houses throughout the year and this is one way to make yourself known. You can also go visit a school or call them up. Personally, I believe getting your ducks in a row is more important than making your name known, i.e. getting your application in early, paying all necessary fees, having a well written personal statement, and so on. If you have a solid application, wow them in your interview, then they will have no problem recalling you or your name. Best of luck!

titan3035 said:

Thanks for your help!!!

My academic advisor is the Chair of the Biology Department at my school, and works really closely with the dental school and medical school in Louisville. He gave me the name of the Microbiology professor at the UofL school of dentistry, and recommended that I go talk to him about my grades/personal statement/etc and see what suggestions he may have for me...since this guy also happens to be on the admissions committee. I simply called him up, said that my advisor recommended that I meet with him, and he was more than happy to do so. Not only was he really helpful and encouraging, but he also did a mock interview with me, which made me feel so much more relaxed about the interview and application process in general. The icing on the cake...he was my actual interviewer for the real thing in August! I don't think this was a coincidence...

I agree with Spngrover's point that you defintetly should make sure that you've taken care of making yourself as attractive of an applicant as possible. If you do this, the adcoms will be happy to work with you and help you through the politics of the process. But if you slack on your application/grades/dat, thats when you'll start to get on their nerves b/c it'll look like you're just trying to brown-nose and gain admission based on familiarity (which is not cool).

I think if I were you, though, I would wait until March or April, when this application cycle winds down a bit more. There are still tons of wait-lists and interviews going on, and I'm willing to bet the adcoms still have a lot on their plates for this current cycle. Good luck!