Contacting/ Meeting with Adcoms in Undergrad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Would you try to contact and meet with the adcoms during undergrad?

• Yes

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • No

Votes: 4 30.8%

• Total voters

ASPEN'S NIGHTMARE

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I talked to my advisor today about what her previous students have done that have gotten into Dental School, and she told me that one of her previous students, (A non-urm girl if it matters) had a OGPA of 3.3 and a science even lower than that. However, since her sophomore year, she had been holding meetings with Adcoms of our universitiy's dental school to see how she could improve and so on about once a semester. By the time it came to apply, her stats didn't matter as much because most of the staff and adcoms already knew her by name etc and were already sold on her.. She recommended I do the same thing. Has anyone attempted something like this? I'm afraid doing something like this could come off in a bad way and hurt my chances more than it could help. Also, if any adcom is actually reading this, can you please give me some feedback on what you would think of a student contacting your school and asking to meet with an adcom to talk about things such as; grades, improvements, interview help, extracurricular input, etc?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know that I would suggest meetings on a regular basis as your example. Although most schools are welcoming to pre-dental students asking for specific advice to better themselves/their application to be better suited for their school.

Probably one of the best things I know of to do is to schedule a tour for each school that you are interested in attending. I did this and it helped me a lot. On every occasion, I was able to meet with the admissions dean and ask questions and allow them to get to know me. It was kind of a pre-interview interview. I toured every school that was in driving distance for me.

Life is about networking and connections. It isn't always what you know, but who you know. Don't be ashamed to network. Professionals do it all the time.

Hm it seems that this girl went to pre health fairs and talked to whatever representative they sent. My state dental school does this once a semester as well and usually it's the dean of admissions for my school that comes during these pre health fairs. Its definetly a good way to meet dental school people and you might get lucky as it seems the girl in your story did.