meeting the chairman

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HiddenTruth

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I have been doing some research for the past 3 months at a top5 institute. I am working closely with the Chief of the dept. Initially when I applied for position, I e-mailed the chairman of the dept, who is internationally renowned (his office is not even on the same floor as the rest of the division's offices--sheesh!!), and he told the chief (i think he is more active at ongoing research, while the chairman gets his name published on everything that comes out of the dept) to e-mail me back--which hr did, and I coordinated everything through him. And as I work and progress, he is my primary PI.

So when I first got here in the summer, the chief of the dept introduced me to the chairman of the entire Surgery dept who also happens to be a practicing CT surgeon--so pretty big guy--anyways, we exchanged words while standing for couple minutes--left the room with "It was a pleasure to meet you".

So, the point is--I really wanna meet this guy and talk to him on a more personal basis--but I'm kinda scared/nervous. I mean not really, but the fact that he is so respected and renowned, it makes it seem that way. I mean, I am a personable, friendly person--but I feel intimated, I think. So, I wanted to just "drop by" his office and excahnge some words in a more informal setting before I took off from here (i've been meaning to talk to him for a while, but I never see him as he is on a difft floor, and i've let it go in the back of my head). So, I asked his secr (who knows me cuz she comes up and we've talked) when is a good time to stop by, and she says you have to make an appt (the sound of that is erry). So I did for Monday--I leave wed.

But, I'm kinda intimidated--cuz I don't have ANY REAL reason for talking to him other than to show my face for the 2nd time (if he remembers me, I'm freaking doin' research for him) and excahnge some words. I mean I think realistically, I want him to remember me so I can come back and maybe do a rotation, and PRIMARILY get a freakin letter from him (shoot, that would be so money!). So, I guess what I am asking is : what do i talk to him when i go in there. I mean I'll talk to him abt the research projects (whihc will be very brief, becuase he is not the PI--he just has everyone doing shi* for him) and tell him how impressed I was after going thru so many charts and seeing how respected he is. Is that a good idea, btw? And, possibly just talk about CT surg in general and ask him what he think--ahh?? This is so bad--I mean I'd like to ask him about the field, how he got so big in academic medicine, etc. But this is so random, and I don't know if he's very med student pro--(you know how those big dawgs are). Well anywyas, can you guys give me some input as to what's appropriate to talk about and get on a more personal level (i don't want it sound like an interview--lol). Oh yea, he's orig from the same state as i am (and his cousin is a neurosurgeon in my home town, which is very ironic cuz my home town is a midwest 50k people town--but anyways) Alrite fill me in, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Ask him something about his training and what you could do to get ahead... sort of like "hey, I'm sort of interested in going into "say his specialty", what can I do to make sure I'm a competative candidate for this"... at least that's what I'd do. It sounds like he's willing to have people come and speak with him, if for nothing else than just to put a face with a name. Good luck, let us know how it works out.

I would bust out with the Andrew Carnegie techniques and ask him questions like "why did u choose CT surgery?" and trust me he can talk about that for like 15 minutes and he'll like u cuz u are interested in hearing his story. Find out other things he likes and ask him questions about it. ANd just listen and that's how he'll remember u. Then get his email and whenever u go on trips and crap, email him some pictures or something and then u guys will be best friends. hhaha trust me this type of lamo stuff works

omarsaleh66 said:
Then get his email and whenever u go on trips and crap, email him some pictures or something and then u guys will be best friends. hhaha trust me this type of lamo stuff works

pictures---are u kidding me?? If i got random pics from some med student after talking to them once/twice, I would piss in my pants? Come on?? THis is hillarious :laugh: Sheesh, I mean, should I also e-mail him and let him know when I'm going to the crapper? I don't think "he" (as in these top dawgs) really care that much...I'll try it though, and let you know if I get into the residency :D