Meeting with dean

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am meeting with the dean of a school I will not be attending. I was waitlisted last year and did not receive an interview this year after doing nothing but improving my app. I was accepted elsewhere but wanted to meet with this dean to see what happened? What are some good things to ask? What should I not say?
You've been accepted elsewhere, so why are you meeting with this dean? You never have to go through this process again :)

Reactions: 8 users
I wouldnt even waste my time with this dean. It not like it will change anything. In second thought, i would go in there just to act like an as$hole with him for fun.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am meeting with the dean of a school I will not be attending. I was waitlisted last year and did not receive an interview this year after doing nothing but improving my app. I was accepted elsewhere but wanted to meet with this dean to see what happened? What are some good things to ask? What should I not say?
If you really are set on some closure with this school, you could ask a few questions. Why didn't my app stand out? What could I have added to my app? Did I interview poorly?

As far as what not to say... I would just keep it professional. Were you planning on meeting without an idea of what to say?

What you mentioned is pretty much what I was thinking. I was told I didn't need to take additional courses and to retake the DAT. I did followed both. Will probably asked what I should've done so I know for future applications
I thought you said you got accepted? Why are you worrying about future application for?

Don't meet with him, it's a waste of his time and your time. It will give an opportunity for someone else who could meet with him that hasn't been accepted.

I did. I was pretty set on this school and was told to fix some things and it should be fine. I understand nothing is guaranteed but I would still like to know what their thought process was. And future applications in regard to applying for dental specialties and similar things
You wont get an honest answer out of him anyway, so you will be wasting your time in my opinion. He will probably tell you everything in your application are fine, but this year application pool is too competitive.

Reactions: 3 users
I did. I was pretty set on this school and was told to fix some things and it should be fine. I understand nothing is guaranteed but I would still like to know what their thought process was. And future applications in regard to applying for dental specialties and similar things
Sounds to me like you still have a bone to pick. If you still want in and think that speaking to the dean will help then go for it. I wouldn't worry about it so much though cuz there's no reason to be salty about something like this when you've already been accepted. It sounds like a waste of his and your time. Best of luck, you will of course do what you like in the end and I suppose it could be of help to some of us here for insight but I wouldnt do it.

Reactions: 3 users
If you do go for it, make it worth it and call them out for their bs. Ask him the hard questions. Since you been accepted at another school, you have nothing to lose. You can be straight up honest with him. Ask him why waste your time and money if they had no intention of giving you a real opportunity.

What you mentioned is pretty much what I was thinking. I was told I didn't need to take additional courses and to retake the DAT. I did followed both. Will probably asked what I should've done so I know for future applications
You're not submitting any future applications, so who cares?
Specialty applications is something to worry about later, it will be a completely different process.

He will likely tell you that the "competition was robust," or "we had an extremely competitive applicant pool."

You have some options here:
1. Go talk to him, gain nothing.
2. Go talk to him, learn what was wrong with your application, and reapply. But from there consider that the same exact thing may happen again next year. Also, next year you may not get in anywhere if you decide to listen to his advice and decline your acceptance just to get into his school.
3. Let it go, and focus on the school you HAVE been accepted to. This is my personal recommendation, as well as the recommendation of everyone here.

Also, don't forget these dean's all know each other. There are only a handful of dental schools in the country, so the admissions circuit is closer knit than you may realize.

Something else to consider is, have you been officially rejected from this school? Because if not, the possibility of an interview may still exist. This sort of meeting would likely not work in your favor if that is the case.

Let it go, it's for the best.

If you do go for it, make it worth it and call them out for their bs. Ask him the hard questions. Since you been accepted at another school, you have nothing to lose. You can be straight up honest with him. Ask him why waste your time and money if they had no intention of giving you a real opportunity.

I would advise against this. Nothing to lose, but also nothing to gain. What if he decides to apply for a Postgraduate program at this place down the line?

We will fight many battles in our lifetimes, so it's important to pick the ones where we stand to gain something.

Reactions: 1 user
I guess I'll deviate from the majority here... sometimes it is nice to get some closure. Even if it's likely that the dean gives a canned response like, "the applicant pool was strong", maybe just meeting and hearing it could be 'therapeutic'. Maybe the dean will actually give a response that highlights a flaw in interviewing skills, which the other school chose to overlook.

It's as if your ex dumped you out of nowhere, and you talk one last time to hear their lame excuse, close it out, and move on with it.

Whatever helps you move forward and focus on dental school OP.