OSU (OOS) vs. NYU (dean's scholarship) vs. OHSU (OOS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thechacko

Reaction score
School 1: THE Ohio State University (OOS)
Pros:
  • In-state tuition after first year
  • Camaraderie among students
Cons:
  • Don't really have any
School 2: NYU
Pros:
  • Dean's scholarship (150k)
  • New York City
  • Discounted living expenses
Cons:
  • Huge class size
  • Poor management?
School 3: OHSU (OOS)
Pros:
  • Pass/Fail
  • New facilities
  • Closest to home
Cons:
  • Portland
  • Most expensive
Summary: While I did like OHSU for the points I mentioned above, it would be the most expensive option of the three and therefore I'm leaning more towards OSU and NYU. I have a family member who owns an apartment in Manhattan and I would be able to receive significantly discounted rent while going to school there. Because of this and the scholarship I received from NYU (if I did the math correctly), OSU and NYU come out to be very close in price with NYU actually being a little bit cheaper. OSU is definitely the better school and I have heard nothing but great things about it, but I also would love to live in New York. The problem, however, is that I've heard many not-so-great things about NYU and am unsure if would be

Honestly not sure if I want to specialize or not, but plan on doing my best in the first year of dental school to leave that door open if I find something I really enjoy. I know they say it doesn't matter where you go because you can specialize anywhere, but would any of these options above make it easier or more difficult to get into a specialty program? Like could just being at NYU potentially hurt me?

Members don't see this ad.

I’m in Cleveland, so I run into a lot of Ohio State grads. They all have great things to say about the school, and their debtload is somewhat manageable. We also interview Ohio State guys for residency most years. You are blessed to have gotten an acceptance offer, I think you should take it.

Reactions: 2 users
School 1: THE Ohio State University (OOS)
Pros:
  • In-state tuition after first year
Cons:
  • Don't really have any
School 2: NYU
Pros:
  • Dean's scholarship (150k)
  • New York City
  • Discounted living expenses
Cons:
  • Huge class size
  • Poor management?
School 3: OHSU (OOS)
Pros:
  • Pass/Fail
  • New facilities
  • Closest to home
Cons:
  • Portland
  • Most expensive
Summary: While I did like OHSU for the points I mentioned above, it would be the most expensive option of the three and therefore I'm leaning more towards OSU and NYU. I have a family member who owns an apartment in Manhattan and I would be able to receive significantly discounted rent while going to school there. Because of this and the scholarship I received from NYU (if I did the math correctly), OSU and NYU come out to be very close in price with NYU actually being a little bit cheaper. OSU is definitely the better school and I have heard nothing but great things about it, but I also would love to live in New York. The problem, however, is that I've heard many not-so-great things about NYU and am unsure if would be

Honestly not sure if I want to specialize or not, but plan on doing my best in the first year of dental school to leave that door open if I find something I really enjoy. I know they say it doesn't matter where you go because you can specialize anywhere, but would any of these options above make it easier or more difficult to get into a specialty program? Like could just being at NYU potentially hurt me?
choose, OSU, not NYU...

Members don't see this ad :)
OSU 100%.. NYU should be avoided. NYU has so many problems and horror stories that I have heard of.

Reactions: 1 user
Go for OSU, great school, great name, Big10 athletics, and if costs are about the same I think that’s worth it.

I’d only go to NYU if it was your only choice, and considering here it isn’t, I think you should go elsewhere. 360 students is A LOT. I’m in a class of 105 and sometimes that feels large. OSU seems like the most logical place to go.

Reactions: 1 users