Meh? 33P, 3.65 gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

susearzt

MikroArzt
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So any insight would be greatly appreciated.

I got a 33P on the MCAT last year and really didn't want to put myself through that again. My undergrad sci GPA is 3.65 and 3.64 overall. I have hands-on clinical experience in a free clinic in the U.S. and through Child Family Health International in Ecuador. I've will complete a certificate in public health core concepts at the university of Minnesota in December, graduated a semester early from undergrad. Studied in Germany in high school, so fluent in German with a few medical Spanish skills. For the past year, besides being a full-time grad student, I've been working for an epidemiology study at the UofM doing fieldwork, coaching high school lacrosse, running marathons and working at a fitness center.
My biggest concern is no lab research experience.

Here's my list of schools applies I applied to. I know a lot of them are on my 'long shot' list, but oh well. And I completed the secondaries to these within the last three weeks (what can I say? It's hard working more than full time, being a full-time grad student and trying to find time to fill out applications and secondaries). So:
Harvard (yeah right)
Yale
Boston U
Creighton
University of Minnesota
Dartmouth
Emory
George Washington
Jefferson
Mayo
Medical College of Wisconsin
Tufts

A lot of these schools have MD/MPH programs in which I am very interested. So anyone have any further advise beside sit and be patient? Any thoughts on how many schools I might get interviews for and how soon I should be hearing from schools?

Members don't see this ad.

You have stand-out clinical experience, a good MCAT, and an average GPA. You're a participant in an epidemiology study which should qualify as a scholarly endeavor that increases human knowledge, and will hopefully (but not for sure) satisfy the research-heavy institutions on your list. Your other ECs and language skills make you look well-rounded.

You're top-heavy with reach schools: Harvard, Yale, Dartmouth, Emory, Mayo
On-target schools: Tufts, Boston, Jefferson, UMinn, MCW, Creighton
Safeties: GWU

Considering your late application, I'd have suggested fewer reach schools (but it's OK to dream), about 4-5 more on target schools, and maybe 3 more safety schools, at the minimum.

Other than adding more schools, I have no further suggestions. When applying later in the cycle, it sometimes takes awhile for adcomms to get around to evaluating your application and offering one of the decreasingly-available interview slots.