Membership to Professional Society other than FM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sd2489

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would it look bad to have membership to other professional societies in addition to FM on my application?? (Ex member of OB/GYN, Med-Peds?)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lots of organizations I belong to take positions that I may personally disagree with. However, I realize that they have to represent a very broad group of individuals with diverse viewpoints. I'm not a one-issue voter, and I'm not going to tear up my membership card like an adolescent taking his ball and going home.

If you aren't at the table, you're on the menu.

To me, siding with the ACA was the ultimate, unforgivable sin, especially how their support was essentially bought and paid for. Representation is absolutely essential, especially today but it's hard to keep hiring the same guy to do something when the quality of his work is poor. I know I may be cutting my nose to spite my face in some of these situations but it's how I see it.

Would it look bad to have membership to other professional societies in addition to FM on my application?? (Ex member of OB/GYN, Med-Peds?)
It doesn't look bad ... but what is your goal in belonging to a particular professional society?

If the professional society is actually beneficial to you and to your career, then feel free to become a member. In the past, I used to pay (progressively costly) annual membership dues to about twelve different professional societies related to some aspect of my career. Most of the time, and due to my schedule, I rarely attended their conferences. Now, I belong to only four societies and each one of them provides me with significant value (including education and advocacy) related to my professional career even if I am unable to attend their annual conferences.