Memorization advice

Started by jewel2
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jewel2

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I realize most of the stuff about a medication is not really inferable or related to known mechanism of action or physiology. I mean, they are results from clinical trials but a lot of them the pathology is unknown or need more research. For example: methadone - QT prolongation, and Steven-Johnson Syndrome drugs. It would be helpful for me to memorize something if I know how it is caused rather than drug A causes XYZ because it just does... At this point, I could only use heuristics and make educated guess if possible to aid in my recall. Sometimes, these stuff makes pharmacy boring regardless how passionate I am to help patients.
How do you guys memorize such information? Rote memorization? Any advice or opinions on this?
 
many of those side effects are class effects related - so memorize what classes of drugs cause those issues, then memorize what drugs are in teh classes. As with anything, there are always outliers (not just necessarily those two side effects) - then you need to learn which medications don't necessarily follow the class effect, or are more or less likely to cause issues - for example, which atypical antiphycotics cause more or less hyperglycemia.