Men's Interview Clothing #2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bieber looks horrible.

I can't really speak on the style, I don't think suits that color are really appropriate for an interview but it may not be that big of a deal to most interviewers, I have seen worse. The problem is that the suit fits horribly and the shoes and shirt are both atrocious.

Members don't see this ad.

http://www.ivygateblog.com/2010/09/...ylist-life-coach-and-bff-is-a-yale-sophomore/

Kanye West has a new life coach and stylist. The kid is 20 years old.
9721-1187462246693-1232400218-30884566-5759690-n.jpg
9721-1187462526700-1232400218-30884573-4592415-n.jpg

captainnerd, does this look ok? Ignore the blinding ring, it's just the light...it doesn't actually shine (and I think I might take it off anyway for future interviews).

suitb.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
captainnerd, does this look ok? Ignore the blinding ring, it's just the light...it doesn't actually shine (and I think I might take it off anyway for future interviews).

suitb.jpg

Always hard to tell with your arms not at your side. But from what I can see, the shoulders look too big. But other than that, alright, I guess. Black appears too jarring.

Hmm, the suit is actually dark gray (I think it's the light)....I did get it fitted a couple weeks ago at a tailor. I'll post another one later in the week with me in a better position and in a better light.

Does the tie look OK for med school interviews?

Hmm, the suit is actually dark gray (I think it's the light)....I did get it fitted a couple weeks ago at a tailor. I'll post another one later in the week with me in a better position and in a better light.

Does the tie look OK for med school interviews?

The tie, sure, you'll fit in with most other students. Too many stripes in too many colors and too many thicknesses for my taste.

Hmmm, if I get a solid dark blue tie, would that be better (the suit is dark gray)?

Wait? Is kind of the nerds giving the fashion advice?

Nerds.jpg

Yes, because it is obvious that medical school hopefuls and most college students in general can't dress themselves better than a nerd.

Yes, because it is obvious that medical school hopefuls and most college students in general can't dress themselves better than a nerd.

Actually, those guys do look like med students. Love the pocket protectors.

suitb.jpg

I hope that's just the result of bad tailoring and you don't actually have those childbearing hips. If so, get it (re)tailored. The shoulders are slightly too large but assuming it is a quality suit it will last long enough to grow into. And as far as what that other guy said, there's nothing wrong with a black suit especially if it's your only one. People that militantly support Navy and Charcoal suits and detest black ones are typically middle-aged bald guys that are trying too hard. It's much easier to dress down a black jacket than dress up a gray or charcoal suit(although they would be fine as well in most interview situations).

You need a new tie though. Something slimmer(2.5-2.75 inches) and less gaudy. Simple stripes or solid.

Shoes are ugly too.

Members don't see this ad :)

I have a tie that's pretty similar to this, but it's purple interwoven with white (fairly deep purple, nothing shocking). It looks great with a charcoal suit, IMO, but would the color be inappropriate or "too flashy" (ha) for an interview?

I hope that's just the result of bad tailoring and you don't actually have those childbearing hips. If so, get it (re)tailored. The shoulders are slightly too large but assuming it is a quality suit it will last long enough to grow into. And as far as what that other guy said, there's nothing wrong with a black suit especially if it's your only one. People that militantly support Navy and Charcoal suits and detest black ones are typically middle-aged bald guys that are trying too hard. It's much easier to dress down a black jacket than dress up a gray or charcoal suit(although they would be fine as well in most interview situations).

You need a new tie though. Something slimmer(2.5-2.75 inches) and less gaudy. Simple stripes or solid.

Shoes are ugly too.

?? That's not nice bro.

Hey,

So I am looking for a suitcase/luggage to carry my interview clothes. How do you transport your suits/pressed shirts without creasing or wrinkling them?

I have looked at garment bags but I do not think I could carry those on, and it would be terrible to not have your dress clothes because of the airlines.

Any other thoughts or ideas. Or just get the garment bag and cross your fingers.

Thanks, Jim

Hey,

So I am looking for a suitcase/luggage to carry my interview clothes. How do you transport your suits/pressed shirts without creasing or wrinkling them?

I have looked at garment bags but I do not think I could carry those on, and it would be terrible to not have your dress clothes because of the airlines.

Any other thoughts or ideas. Or just get the garment bag and cross your fingers.

Thanks, Jim

I bought a tri-fold garment bag. I used it for the first time this past week and it worked great. Carried it on. Unfolded it and hung it up when I got to the hotel. No wrinkles or creases. Here is the one I bought on amazon for about $30:

Shoes are ugly too.

Sorry, it's just part of the aging process. You're young and you're awesome in your black suit and then you reach an age where you start to lose your hair and kapow! All of a sudden you enjoy navy and light grays. It will happen to you guys too.

If you have a history of baldness in your family, this is more reason to not buy black. A navy or light gray suit will provide more years of enjoyment than a black suit.

Also, just because it's your only suit doesn't automatically make it a good suit. If you've got an ugly wife, but she's your only wife, it doesn't make her hot. She's still an ugly wife.

There's still something wrong with a black suit even if it is your only suit: it is black, morbid, hot, un-versatile, hard-to-match, depressing, ages poorly, out-of-place in a business setting, etc.

If it's the only one you've got and you're poor, you're stuck with it. But it doesn't make it awesome.

If however, you're interviewing for head butler at an estate, then yes, it probably is the best choice.

Last edited:
So, this question goes out to the Captain or anyone else savvy with respect to men's shoes:

I have some big@$$ feet (14 in most shoes, occasionally 15) and I am in the market for a nice pair of dress shoes. My current black Ecco shoes, while they are the most comfortable shoes I have ever worn, would be considered too informal for an interview as they break just about every rule of formal men's footwear by being slip-on, rubber-soled, and square-toed. I want a more formal pair of shoes that will last a very long time.
My question, then, is where might I try on a pair of nice shoes (i.e. AE, etc.) before I by them online? When you get to my size, a 14 can be alright in length but terrible in width or vice versa. I know that Nordstrom has big sizes but I wasn't sure if they would stock such shoes. I am hoping to save myself some time driving all over God's green earth to find a store that would stock big sizes of decent shoes.

So, this question goes out to the Captain or anyone else savvy with respect to men's shoes:

I have some big@$$ feet (14 in most shoes, occasionally 15) and I am in the market for a nice pair of dress shoes. My current black Ecco shoes, while they are the most comfortable shoes I have ever worn, would be considered too informal for an interview as they break just about every rule of formal men's footwear by being slip-on, rubber-soled, and square-toed. I want a more formal pair of shoes that will last a very long time.
My question, then, is where might I try on a pair of nice shoes (i.e. AE, etc.) before I by them online? When you get to my size, a 14 can be alright in length but terrible in width or vice versa. I know that Nordstrom has big sizes but I wasn't sure if they would stock such shoes. I am hoping to save myself some time driving all over God's green earth to find a store that would stock big sizes of decent shoes.

Buying shoes online isn't really a good idea unless you know your measurements and whatever specific shoe you're looking for like the back of your hand. As far as not wanting to waste time going to department stores just to find that they don't stock your size, why not call ahead?

Also, if you're adamant about buying them online then buy a couple pairs of the shoe you want in different sizes(14, 14.5, 15) and return the ones that don't fit.

Buying shoes online isn't really a good idea unless you know your measurements and whatever specific shoe you're looking for like the back of your hand.

I have a pretty specific idea of what I am looking for and now my sizes pretty well, I just don't know how true the sizes run which is why I want to try them on. Though I would guess that such quality shoes run pretty true to actual measurements. Also, when your buying shoes such Allen Edmond, buying online from ebay makes a lot of sense if you don't have a ton of disposable income. 170$ for a pair of 400$ or 500$ shoes that will last a lifetime is a steal.
Also, if you're adamant about buying them online then buy a couple pairs of the shoe you want in different sizes(14, 14.5, 15) and return the ones that don't fit.

In an ideal world where I have that much money, that would be an awesome idea :) Unfortunately I don't have that kind of cash right now. Secondaries cleaned me out.

Thanks for the suggestion of calling ahead though, I don't know why I didn't think of that haha. Looks like I have some phone calls to make.

unfortunately my men's wearhouse suit, while pretty good quality, doesn't have actual pockets in the coat that you can put stuff in, just the design of pockets that don't actually open. Should I just leave my cell phone etc. in the car so I don't have to put it in my pant pockets, or just put all my stuff (wallet, cellphone, key) in the back pocket of the pants.

I know that the Nordstom in my neck of the woods does carry AE. If ordering online, Zappos carries them, as well, and they have a very quick and easy delivery and return policy, from what I've heard.

unfortunately my men's wearhouse suit, while pretty good quality, doesn't have actual pockets in the coat that you can put stuff in, just the design of pockets that don't actually open. Should I just leave my cell phone etc. in the car so I don't have to put it in my pant pockets, or just put all my stuff (wallet, cellphone, key) in the back pocket of the pants.

Are you sure they don't just sew up the pockets and you're suppose to cut a thread and have it open? They usually sew up some details to make the mechanical steaming/pressing easier.

Stuff usually goes into the inside pockets since the inside pockets are very good at concealing things.

If your suit truly does not have any pockets, that is a really, really $hitty suit. Sorry to say.

Are you sure they don't just sew up the pockets and you're suppose to cut a thread and have it open? They usually sew up some details to make the mechanical steaming/pressing easier.

Stuff usually goes into the inside pockets since the inside pockets are very good at concealing things.

If your suit truly does not have any pockets, that is a really, really $hitty suit. Sorry to say.

ha your right. good call.

Why does no one ever mention Steve Madden shoes? They're made of good leather, hold well (I have a pair I've worn 3x/week for 4 years on shoe trees and they look great), and cost ~$80! They don't have an enormous variety for men but what they do have is fashionable but very formal-friendly.

I'm going to buy a solid dark blue tie. Is satin OK or should it be silk only?

Half, yes - My tie isn't long enough and I'm not large enough to support a full windsor.

Personally I loathe the FIH with a spread collar... :D

ties.jpg

So help me pick one for the interview. I'll be wearing a white shirt, or a blue one with light stripes (mostly the white one though, unless it's dirty or something).

My suit is dark gray. I've work a tie exactly once in my life before, so keep that in mind. I want to go conservative.

So help me pick one for the interview. I'll be wearing a white shirt, or a blue one with light stripes (mostly the white one though, unless it's dirty or something).

My suit is dark gray. I've work a tie exactly once in my life before, so keep that in mind. I want to go conservative.

Dark blue. But who gives a damn? Seriously. Articles like this are ridiculous-- it's taking up valuable space above the fold that could be advertising, "Hey, young pre-med kids, do something worthwhile with your free time and study for the MCAT and you'll get into medical school", or other such worthwhile advice. Find some way to be secure in your choices regarding what to wear and you will be 100x more confident during your interview than if you are soliciting advice from random dudes on teh intarwebs. That'd pay a lot more dividends than coordinating your tie with your socks, I think.

I would go with the navy blue. :thumbup:

Ivy (side note) I don't know why I thought you were a girl....I guess I just never looked at your MD Apps:)

I think if you wear the white shirt, do the blue striped tie. If you wear a patterned/blue shirt, then do the dark blue one. The striped one is great. And actually, all but the red one on the right are a thumbs up. I just think that you don't want to be too interesting.....people seem to frown upon that around here;)

Ivy (side note) I don't know why I thought you were a girl....I guess I just never looked at your MD Apps:)

I think if you wear the white shirt, do the blue striped tie. If you wear a patterned/blue shirt, then do the dark blue one. The striped one is great. And actually, all but the red one on the right are a thumbs up. I just think that you don't want to be too interesting.....people seem to frown upon that around here;)

No. All but the blue are good. I have a feeling you're a girl. Girl advice about men's clothing = beware.

There's simply too much going on in these ties. Too many stripes in various widths and colors in the striped ties. The geometric ties are always awful. And the hue and saturation of the red tie is just weird.

When choosing a tie pattern, ask yourself this: the loom that is weaving the fabric, is it going haywire? Cause that's what those striped ties look like. It looks like it is adding a random stripe of random color at random times. Also, the weave of the blue tie makes it appear as if it is changing the weaving pattern at random times.

There are few things that are classic in the world of design when it comes to men's clothing: herringbone, houndstooth, glen plaid, single stripe, single dot, checks, gingham. The fewer the design elements, the more classic it will be. The fewer the brain has to work to decipher something, the more beautiful it is. Look for symmetry in designs.

For example, a solid tie with a single stripe uniformly spaced will be symmetrical on the stripes. The above blue and red striped ties don't have a point of symmetry.

The geometric tie above has too many elements. There's two types of dots in the middle, checks made of three lines, a starburst design, and about 4 total colors.

Last edited:
Wait, all but the blue are good?

I just wore that dark solid blue one to an interview yesterday! YOU HAVE RUINED ME!!! :D

Wait, all but the blue are good?

I just wore that dark solid blue one to an interview yesterday! YOU HAVE RUINED ME!!! :D

You know what I mean. Btw, I like your Euler's equation. Many mathematicians believe it to be one of the most beautiful mathematical statements ever.

It certainly is! The proof is elegant, and it combines pi, i, e, as well as 1 and 0. So beautiful.

I may or may not have that tattooed somewhere on my body.

Probably a silly question, but from someone who does not wear suits...

You're supposed to clip off the designer tag from the jacket sleeve, right?

Probably a silly question, but from someone who does not wear suits...

You're supposed to clip off the designer tag from the jacket sleeve, right?

Yes. You or the tailor should cut this off.

Guys, get yourselves a nice pair of interviewing shoes if you don't already have one. Just gave a tour today, and some girls and GUYS (gasp) were clackidy-clacking up a storm of a jazz routine. Rockport makes interview-appropriate shoes with RUBBER sole that you can dress up or down.

BTW, I'm not affiliated with any companies, nor do I own interests with Rockport.

Guys, get yourselves a nice pair of interviewing shoes if you don't already have one. Just gave a tour today, and some girls and GUYS (gasp) were clackidy-clacking up a storm of a jazz routine. Rockport makes interview-appropriate shoes with RUBBER sole that you can dress up or down.

BTW, I'm not affiliated with any companies, nor do I own interests with Rockport.

Uh-oh. Recommending rubber soles? Prepare for the wrath of captainnerd.

I enjoy the click-clacking, myself.

Um no.

A nice pair of men's dress shoes will often lead to a "clackidy-clock" precisely because it does NOT have rubber soles. Rubber soles are not a desirable trait in dress shoes.

Um no.

A nice pair of men's dress shoes will often lead to a "clackidy-clock" precisely because it does NOT have rubber soles. Rubber soles are not a desirable trait in dress shoes.
Traditionally, a leather sole may be preferred, but I have to say I like full leather with a rubber capped heel at the very least. Otherwise, I slide around all over the place lol.

I also have a 40% discount at Saks Fifth Avenue. Does anyone have any experience shoe shopping there and have some recommendations to compete with the above posted AEs for a dark navy suit?

Status
Not open for further replies.