Men's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No they are not. You need oxfords, either black or brown.

Are the AE Park Avenues comfortable enough for walking everywhere on interviews and the workplace?

Members don't see this ad.

The AEs seem to be the general consensus... but at 350 a pop, its a big investment... then there is the decision of black or brown

Quite a few people suggested getting them used on Ebay for cheap if you're not above that.

Quite a few people suggested getting them used on Ebay for cheap if you're not above that.

I just found out that they can be bought on sale in July at nordstrom for 200-250. Ill wait till then but I just wanted to know about its comfort level since the oxfords I have worn before have been really hard on my feet or are uncomfortable.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just found out that they can be bought on sale in July at nordstrom for 200-250. Ill wait till then but I just wanted to know about its comfort level since the oxfords I have worn before have been really hard on my feet or are uncomfortable.

They're comfy enough to walk around in all day. I have a pair of AE's I got from the July sale at Nordstroms, and they've served me well this season! I managed to scuff them up somewhat though, which is really upsetting :(

Ehhh... Last year was the first year I ever saw AE Park Ave on sale at that event; normally they are the less formal AE shoes. Hopefully they have them again this year cause I would love to pick a pair up. Also, check out Nordstrom Rack if you have one near you as they often have like new AE shoes for really cheap.

And I'm sure I'll get berated for this, but the rack often has nice looking Cole Haan dress shoes for ~$120. I know they are corrected grain and all and wont last as long, but if you're on a budget and still want to look nice, they are a good alternative IMHO.

Ehhh... Last year was the first year I ever saw AE Park Ave on sale at that event; normally they are the less formal AE shoes. Hopefully they have them again this year cause I would love to pick a pair up. Also, check out Nordstrom Rack if you have one near you as they often have like new AE shoes for really cheap.

And I'm sure I'll get berated for this, but the rack often has nice looking Cole Haan dress shoes for ~$120. I know they are corrected grain and all and wont last as long, but if you're on a budget and still want to look nice, they are a good alternative IMHO.

I think I will probably save up and drop the dough on the AEs since I can reuse them for other interviews and residency and so on.

They're comfy enough to walk around in all day. I have a pair of AE's I got from the July sale at Nordstroms, and they've served me well this season! I managed to scuff them up somewhat though, which is really upsetting :(

LOL thats my issue with dress shoes too.. being a little clumsy sucks when you wear expensive shoes

Anyone have opinions on the AE strand vs AE Park avenues?

Parks are the gold standard so that's my vote.

Park avenues are the best shoes I've ever bought. They're comfortable enough to wear 24/7 with no discomfort and their combination of style and professionalism is unmatched. I think every guy should own a pair.

You might also take a look at Florsheim. They're a step above most dress shoes but maybe a notch below A-Es. I do wish I had snagged some Park Avenues but I missed the Nordstorm sale in July and couldn't find anything on eBay.

You might also take a look at Florsheim. They're a step above most dress shoes but maybe a notch below A-Es. I do wish I had snagged some Park Avenues but I missed the Nordstorm sale in July and couldn't find anything on eBay.

just checked them out. the good ones are 150-200. If I am going to look at it as an investment, I guess Ill just bite the bullet and purchase the AEs

Done and done.

Now onto tie bars/pocket squares... yay or nay? Discuss.

Tie clips are a definite yes. Pocket squares are up to you. Some people feel that they're too edgy for the very conservative setting of interviewing, but other people swear by them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Done and done.

Now onto tie bars/pocket squares... yay or nay? Discuss.

No to both. Rarely see anyone wearing a tie bar. Looks a bit odd.

Pocket Squares:Difficult. I would have one if I were going to a party, but probably not to a interview. Pocket Squares say Classy and Fashionable; not sure if that is what I want to project in the interview.

I say yes to the tie clip because I wore one. It becomes a necessity for taller people, so I wore one.

The pocket square was too hard for me to keep looking nice. I was worried how it looked throughout the day and ended up taking it out before the interview.

ok.

and what about this watch

1032677695_260.jpg

seems a bit flashy with the blue banding/accents and I think movado museums are usually fairly spendy

I went with a seiko leather banded chrono myself...

I havent bought it yet. they come in different colors.

Its called the Movado Bold Leatherstrap.

I havent bought it yet. they come in different colors.

Its called the Movado Bold Leatherstrap.

From what I can recall about the bold line, it was movados attempt to be more edgy and gain more young customers. Definitely not conservative enough for an interview.

Edit: Also they're a lot larger in person than the picture would have you believe.

From what I can recall about the bold line, it was movados attempt to be more edgy and gain more young customers. Definitely not conservative enough for an interview.

Edit: Also they're a lot larger in person than the picture would have you believe.

is a watch even necessary or a plus?

I can opt for a more conservative movado if you have a recommendation

is a watch even necessary or a plus?

I can opt for a more conservative movado if you have a recommendation

I didn't see many people with it. I always thought conservative movados were usually more expensive and out of my price range so I don't know much about them. I feel like you have a lot more leeway with watches as long as theres nothing overly dramatic about it. With that said I went with: http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/burberr...m_sp=personalizedsort-_-browseresults-_-1_5_A

It was a little bit of a splurge, but no more than the movado bold would cost. I know you can get similar watches from other brands for a fraction of the price, but it was my graduation present :laugh:

I didn't see many people with it. I always thought conservative movados were usually more expensive and out of my price range so I don't know much about them. I feel like you have a lot more leeway with watches as long as theres nothing overly dramatic about it. With that said I went with: http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/burberr...m_sp=personalizedsort-_-browseresults-_-1_5_A

It was a little bit of a splurge, but no more than the movado bold would cost. I know you can get similar watches from other brands for a fraction of the price, but it was my graduation present :laugh:

see the reason I stay away from burberry/Michael Kors/ Marc Jacobs is that they are all made by fossil...

I just perused through the residency forum.. these guys are dropping 10K-30K per watch... and they have multiple watches... too crazy.

see the reason I stay away from burberry/Michael Kors/ Marc Jacobs is that they are all made by fossil...

I just perused through the residency forum.. these guys are dropping 10K-30K per watch... and they have multiple watches... too crazy.

Yeah the residency what should I wear thing is ridiculously expensive. I didn't know about the Fossil thing, but the same things can be said about sunglasses (luxxotica). If it's something that bothers you, then you can probably find a great deal on a good looking Fossil watch and still look just fine. You don't need to spend a fortune on a brand name, and we're probably just nit picking details that really won't affect your interview at all :laugh: I think the watch is probably the least noticeable thing on your outfit!

PS I think I've only seen one person wearing a pocket square at an interview, and he was kind of a dbag...He might have soured my impressions, but I'd probably go with a tie bar :thumbup:

Tissot also makes more conservative stuff that you can find for a pretty reasonable price. And for the most part, unless your watch REALLY stands out (which hopefully it doesn't), it'll just fade into the background. And nobody will judge you/evaluate you differently for not wearing one.

Also, that residency watch thread makes me drool - dat IWC doe..

EDIT: Just dug up this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=763172

Check out Reactor watches. They are dressy and rugged at the same time. Plus they are bullet proof, check out the video on the website. Also, they have the same specifications as much more expensive watches for $250-300.

Suits: No one wear a black suit. Black suits are for limo drivers and funeral home workers.

I think I will probably save up and drop the dough on the AEs since I can reuse them for other interviews and residency and so on.

LOL thats my issue with dress shoes too.. being a little clumsy sucks when you wear expensive shoes

Anyone have opinions on the AE strand vs AE Park avenues?

good call to buy them now. someone earlier was saying that a good pair of dress shoes will last you ten years, that's untrue. AEs will last literally decades if you take care of them.

either style is acceptable, but one thing to note about AEs is that they have a number of different lasts. the Park Ave and Strand are built on a pretty long last that's best suited to an average to narrow width foot. they may not fit as well otherwise. but once you get a last that works in these shoes, they meld to your feet and you don't even know you have them on......

No on the tie bar, yes on a simple white linen pocket square conservatively folded.

This. I don't care how tall you are, no tie bar. When you're standing up you should have your jacket buttoned anyway, so the tie isn't going to be going places on you regardless.

Suit in #1587 is fine. A textured or patterned tie could be a good choice, but that tie does look too shiny. Don't repp stripe your tie on top of your pinstripe suit unless you want to look like Max Headroom. If this is your first suit though, you really should be looking at grey or navy solids. Get it tailored. Get it tailored. Get it tailored.

And this can't be said enough times either - don't buy a black suit. I see people doing this all the time on medical school interviews and it drives me crazy. It's not appropriate.

Last edited:
Re: watches, go to Target and pick up a white face/black leather banded Timex Easy Reader. Like 30 bucks, perfect subtle business watch.

Showing up as a 23 yr old trad student wearing that Patek might rub the wrong way.

Tissot also makes more conservative stuff that you can find for a pretty reasonable price. And for the most part, unless your watch REALLY stands out (which hopefully it doesn't), it'll just fade into the background. And nobody will judge you/evaluate you differently for not wearing one.

Also, that residency watch thread makes me drool - dat IWC doe..

EDIT: Just dug up this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=763172
I wonder what drizzt's net worth is man to be able to afford so many high end watches... :oops:

He did say he was in finance for like 8 years or something and that his resident's salary is a small fraction of his net. Srsly doe, dat IWC doe...

im not familiar with IWC, i just saw them last night..

but I am familiar with AP, breguet, rolexes, and breitling... and I think he has them all...

I dont doubt he could be earning 300K-500K annually still..

im not familiar with IWC, i just saw them last night..

but I am familiar with AP, breguet, rolexes, and breitling... and I think he has them all...

I dont doubt he could be earning 300K-500K annually still..

I mean - if he was in finance, I would guess he knows how to handle the money he accumulated before entering medicine. And he probably had a healthy sum before that to boot.

I mean - if he was in finance, I would guess he knows how to handle the money he accumulated before entering medicine. And he probably had a healthy sum before that to boot.

LOL and I'm out here trying to save up for a rolex... he makes me look like a basic b*tch

I think buying an expensive watch is going to come off as showy or flashy.

That said I bought an armani watch

1517999_fpx.tif

Not too expensive and fairly conservative.

Also a pocket square is nice if you keep it simple

get%2Bimage%2Bpocket%2Bdraperpart2.jpg

LOL seriously?

Topics such as men's interview clothing do not deserve 32 pages hahahah

this made my day

BTW, no to pocket squares

LOL seriously?

this made my day

Listen here, Droooooogbaaaaa: Not everyone can be as façonnable as you are. Show some compassion.

I second the "no" to the pocket squares, though.

LOL seriously?

this made my day

IDK about your interview experience, but I've definitely run into a few people that could've used this thread.

In my experience, there are definitely some lost souls who need this thread.

sorry didn't mean to be mean.

Im not really a fashion icon myself, but you are correct there are always a couple of people who need to learn to dress, even all that involves is a plain black suit.

In my opinion, the safest option would be just black suit + non pleaded pants, black bluchers, plain shirt and a striped tie. perhaps plus a watch (I NEVER wear watches). can't go wrong, no matter what body shape.

Last edited:
sorry didn't mean to be mean.

Im not really a fashion icon myself, but you are correct there are always a couple of people who need to learn to dress, even all that involves is a plain black suit.

In my opinion, the safest option would be just black suit + non pleaded pants, black bluchers, plain shirt and a striped tie. perhaps plus a watch (I NEVER wear watches). can't go wrong, no matter what body shape.

I'm just ribbing you, dude. Based on what I've seen at a few interviews, however, fashion common sense ain't so common.

sgEFbgd.gif

...risk free... sigh..

when people think they are fashionable but they are really not, that's when they look like Dwight Schrute

Navy/charcoal with no pinstripes would be more risk free. Black suggests funeral or some more formal event..

To applicants: Just don't dress like the guy in the gif above.