Men's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
sgEFbgd.gif




Navy/charcoal with no pinstripes would be more risk free. Black suggests funeral or some more formal event..


NONONONONONONONONO

To applicants: Just don't dress like the guy in the gif above.

While I agree with your point. the problem is fashion unconscious people have a hard time telling what is navy and what is neon
 
...risk free... sigh..

when people think they are fashionable but they are really not, that's when they look like Dwight Schrute

Exactly. You want risk free, purchase a dark navy or charcoal suit. Not black. A plain (i.e. no pin stripes, chalk stripes or texture) black suit looks inappropriate in the business formal setting, which your interviews are. Looks like you wore your only suit, which your parents got you in 11th grade for MawMaw's funeral.
 
While I agree with your point. the problem is fashion unconscious people have a hard time telling what is navy and what is neon

I would hope people can distinguish between a shade of dark blue and colors we usually associate with highlighters. But I could also be wrong.

And in the event they can't and stumble upon this thread, that's one more misguided soul that is set on the proper way!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Exactly. You want risk free, purchase a dark navy or charcoal suit. Not black. A plain (i.e. no pin stripes, chalk stripes or texture) black suit looks inappropriate in the business formal setting, which your interviews are. Looks like you wore your only suit, which your parents got you in 11th grade for MawMaw's funeral.

On a plus note, if you buy a black suit for an interview (granted it's not ideal) you can re-use it for funerals. :laugh:
 
I would hope people can distinguish between a shade of dark blue and colors we usually associate with highlighters. But I could also be wrong.

And in the event they can't and stumble upon this thread, that's one more misguided soul that is set on the proper way!

lol well highlighter/ neon colors are a bit of an exaggeration, but, from what I have observed from my interviews, sigh.....
 
Charcoal suit with a light blue shirt and a dark blue tie. Part your hair to the left, because only radicals part their hair to the right. I'm rad so I can get away with it.
 
Thanks to everyone offering cheaper alternatives. This thread sometimes feels like "rich kids talking about how to look like a CEO for their interview." I can't afford half the things here. I'm glad they don't seem necessary.
 
(not a chelsea fan here!!!!)

But wtf, that time ain't coming back.

I do hope he comes to the US to play in the MLS before he is too old

It was a good time while it lasted. I picked up FIFA in 2009, and Droooogbaaaa terrorized my Arsenal defenders (who were notoriously suspect anyway). The dude just bulled 'em over.

It would be cool to see him come stateside. I wonder what he'd wear to his MLS interview.
 
I like how this kid comes in here saying that we don't need 32 pages of fashion advice and then sets us back at least 5 pages by saying a black suit is the safe option. Sigh :/
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks to everyone offering cheaper alternatives. This thread sometimes feels like "rich kids talking about how to look like a CEO for their interview." I can't afford half the things here. I'm glad they don't seem necessary.

You don't have to be rich to get a nice looking suit. It really all comes down to the tailoring. I spent $300 on a suit, $50 for shoes and another $25 for a tie. Then $100 total for tailoring and my suit looked great! Unfortunately I lost more weight and got it tailored again, but at a different place and they made it look horrible! Good thing they just stitch and don't cut so I can get it redone later.
 
Lose the stripes on the suit.

Shoes seem okay but I'd go with a cap toe myself.

Go with white or light blue...the french blue is too dark

Save your money and buy a $15 pin dot tie from thetiebar.com

Lose the lapel pin.

Watch looks fine.
 
You don't have to be rich to get a nice looking suit. It really all comes down to the tailoring. I spent $300 on a suit, $50 for shoes and another $25 for a tie. Then $100 total for tailoring and my suit looked great! Unfortunately I lost more weight and got it tailored again, but at a different place and they made it look horrible! Good thing they just stitch and don't cut so I can get it redone later.

I certainly agree with what you're saying here and yes, it is possible to look good on this kind of budget if done the right way. That said, there are those of us who post in this thread who are on the other side of the looking glass and members of this profession now. Personally I feel that if you can afford to get it done the right way the first time without cutting corners, you will thank yourself for it later. The $$ you spent on tailoring, for example, is good. It's better if you can spend the same $$ tailoring a nicer suit that will last longer and that you will still feel good wearing 5-10 years from now. It's a better way to spend your money.
 
Hello, new to SDN.

Was wondering if some people might chime in on the get-up I was thinking about for medical school interviews?

Thanks!

I'm OK with the suit, the stripe is actually better than the one that was posted in here just yesterday or the day before. Recognize that it's sold as separates, so you'll need to find the matching trousers in your size. Ignore what the website says, you're still going to need to get it tailored. Lastly, it's flannel. It's going to be very warm and people have a tendency to sweat a little on interview days 🙂

The shoes are not OK. They're derbys. You need oxfords. Google the difference, people out there in the Internets will be better at explaining it than I would be. It's very easy to tell the difference once you know how.

Plaid tie is pretty bold. Consider a textured solid with your pinstripes.

White, off-white, or light blue are the only choices for shirt color. I think that shirt is too dark, but it's often hard to tell from a picture. I wouldn't wear blue at all with charcoal, but that can be debated. Non iron fabric is the bomb, though.

Only wear the pin if you have a very strong connection to CP. You're probably going to be asked about it.

Watch is OK.
 
I'm OK with the suit, the stripe is actually better than the one that was posted in here just yesterday or the day before. Recognize that it's sold as separates, so you'll need to find the matching trousers in your size. Ignore what the website says, you're still going to need to get it tailored. Lastly, it's flannel. It's going to be very warm and people have a tendency to sweat a little on interview days 🙂

The shoes are not OK. They're derbys. You need oxfords. Google the difference, people out there in the Internets will be better at explaining it than I would be. It's very easy to tell the difference once you know how.

Plaid tie is pretty bold. Consider a textured solid with your pinstripes.

White, off-white, or light blue are the only choices for shirt color. I think that shirt is too dark, but it's often hard to tell from a picture. I wouldn't wear blue at all with charcoal, but that can be debated. Non iron fabric is the bomb, though.

Only wear the pin if you have a very strong connection to CP. You're probably going to be asked about it.

Watch is OK.



Thanks gravitywave,

I probably should have mentioned that all of this already exists in my wardrobe.

Some questions:

Why is plaid considered a bold move? Is it just not common in these circles?

I was considering that color because my rule of thumb has always been to contrast the tie. I'm also not the biggest fan of white; I think light(er) blue can be just as conservative.

Also, I pulled up the wrong link for the shoes: I've edited my post, but I'll post it here for good measure:

http://www.zappos.com/calvin-klein-gareth-2-black-dress-calf?zfcTest=fcl%3A0

Will interviewers be really keen to ask about the lapel pin? I was kind of hoping they would be, but I didn't want to be too optimistic about it either. In either case, my brother has CP growing up with him has shaped a lot of my convictions, which have ultimately led me to pursue medicine. I'm not one of those stereotypes that have "always wanted to be a doctor, since I was a little kid" but nonetheless, this has been a lifelong influence that has now (perhaps in the past few years) rooted itself in my career ambitions.
 
I certainly agree with what you're saying here and yes, it is possible to look good on this kind of budget if done the right way. That said, there are those of us who post in this thread who are on the other side of the looking glass and members of this profession now. Personally I feel that if you can afford to get it done the right way the first time without cutting corners, you will thank yourself for it later. The $$ you spent on tailoring, for example, is good. It's better if you can spend the same $$ tailoring a nicer suit that will last longer and that you will still feel good wearing 5-10 years from now. It's a better way to spend your money.

I was one of the people that had to pick between paying for a suit versus actually attending interviews versus paying for food/housing. I had to sell some very personal belongings to be able to attend interviews and it sucks. It's the cost of trying to go into medicine as a poor person.

I agree, if you have the money then do it the right way. Some of us don't, and I even thought I spent too much on a suit. It will all be worth it someday though.
 

If those are already in your closet, the suit and shoes will be fine. The watch is ok. A white shirt will look best, especially with the watch, and with the chalk stripe suit I think you'll be better off with a tie that isn't as busy.
 
black strap or the dark brown?

at 800, it better be good for a first luxury watch lol

Ideally you would match your strap to your belt/shoes during an interview. But I'm not convinced a black strap would go well in everyday wear.

If you have a navy suit you could take a sartorial step and have brown shoes/belt - it's not typical/as conservative but it's not as bad as a black suit IMO.
 
Ideally you would match your strap to your belt/shoes during an interview. But I'm not convinced a black strap would go well in everyday wear.

If you have a navy suit you could take a sartorial step and have brown shoes/belt - it's not typical/as conservative but it's not as bad as a black suit IMO.

that was my issue.. which is why Im stuck deciding between the two strap colors.

IDK how 'everyday' a black leather watch is.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ideally you would match your strap to your belt/shoes during an interview. But I'm not convinced a black strap would go well in everyday wear.

If you have a navy suit you could take a sartorial step and have brown shoes/belt - it's not typical/as conservative but it's not as bad as a black suit IMO.

Navy and brown is a perfectly acceptable color combination, especially if the brown is darker than the navy.
 
I probably should have mentioned that all of this already exists in my wardrobe.

Some questions:

Why is plaid considered a bold move? Is it just not common in these circles?

I was considering that color because my rule of thumb has always been to contrast the tie. I'm also not the biggest fan of white; I think light(er) blue can be just as conservative.

Also, I pulled up the wrong link for the shoes: I've edited my post, but I'll post it here for good measure:

http://www.zappos.com/calvin-klein-gareth-2-black-dress-calf?zfcTest=fcl%3A0

Will interviewers be really keen to ask about the lapel pin? I was kind of hoping they would be, but I didn't want to be too optimistic about it either. In either case, my brother has CP growing up with him has shaped a lot of my convictions, which have ultimately led me to pursue medicine. I'm not one of those stereotypes that have "always wanted to be a doctor, since I was a little kid" but nonetheless, this has been a lifelong influence that has now (perhaps in the past few years) rooted itself in my career ambitions.

Plaid is going to be too busy with the pinstripes, methinks. Think conservatively. Bold colors are great when done well, but too much geometry is distracting. Notice I didn't absolutely reject the tie choice, but I'm just having a hard time putting those pieces together in my head.

When you say "contrast the tie," do you mean you wear two shades of the same color for shirt and tie? This is a bad rule. Two different colors for shirt and tie is nearly always the easiest match up and more pleasant to the eye. It's the simplest way for guys to show some color in an environment (business interview) where they don't have many venues for doing so. Lighter blue is absolutely just as conservative as white, but with the chalk stripes on the jacket, your easiest match is going to be a white shirt. This in turn gives you more leeway with the tie pattern, which then has more wiggleroom for eccentricity - You can do stripes with a pinstripe suit fabric, but it's a little tricky. Key is to get substantively different stripe widths between the tie and the suit without looking zany. Or to get stripes on the tie that are so subtle or narrow compared to the fabric background that the tie is essentially a textured solid. But plaid can take you in the wrong direction so fast, and in an unfortunate way. I like that tie don't get me wrong, but wear it third year in the clinic, not to your interview.

Shame on Zappos for calling those shoes oxfords!! They are not. I'm snarling a little at the idea of you wearing these to your interviews. Given that you won't be buying a new suit this year, I would say that you should consider investing in a real pair of dress shoes. You will only need the one pair for a very long time to come, and you will never regret getting them.

Not many people will know about the green lapel pin for CP, so I'd say it's a very high chance you'll be asked about it. I think it's fine, smart even, if you don't mind telling the story behind it when that happens.
 
Navy and brown is a perfectly acceptable color combination, especially if the brown is darker than the navy.

Yes! I would be thrilled to see this combo more, especially in the midst of all the undertaker costumes you see when the tour groups go by.
 
Exactly. You want risk free, purchase a dark navy or charcoal suit. Not black. A plain (i.e. no pin stripes, chalk stripes or texture) black suit looks inappropriate in the business formal setting, which your interviews are. Looks like you wore your only suit, which your parents got you in 11th grade for MawMaw's funeral.

I can see how you might think that, but I've heard at least 5 MD/PhDs at our leading institutions of Medical Education lament the loss of the plain black suit/tie and white shirt, which was apparently the dress-code of yesteryear.
 
Hey, with our loans, what's a couple grand more? Might as well go with a Patek Philippe Calatrava.

Im not a fan of the pateks or the rolexes... I feel as if we are paying for the brand because a lot of famous people wear it.


Id rather get an IWC portuguese or a JLC.... cant afford either atm.

My order of watch acquisition

1. Hamilton (Purchased as Pre-Med)
2. Baume & Mercier Classima (Will get when accepted into medical school)
3. IWC (When I place into a residency)
4. JLC (When I am balling as an attending)
 
Im not a fan of the pateks or the rolexes... I feel as if we are paying for the brand because a lot of famous people wear it.


Id rather get an IWC portuguese or a JLC.... cant afford either atm.

My order of watch acquisition

1. Hamilton (Purchased as Pre-Med)
2. Baume & Mercier Classima (Will get when accepted into medical school)
3. IWC (When I place into a residency)
4. JLC (When I am balling as an attending)

And famous people don't wear the Portugese?
 
Hey, with our loans, what's a couple grand more? Might as well go with a Patek Philippe Calatrava.

And famous people don't wear the Portugese?

percentage of people wearing rolexes vs IWC??

for every 9 people wearing a rolex, maybe 1-2 will be wearing an IWC instead.

So yeah, rolexes are oversaturated because of their marketing and fashion trend among celebrities and in the mainstream media.
 
Nothing to do with fashion sense, just pointing out that a plain black suit isn't out of place at a Med School, or at a Med School interview.

A black suit is never good for an interview, whether you are trying for med school or a job in the workforce.

This is from someone who used to only wear black suits. Fortunately, I learned that black is never an appropriate color in the business setting.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
percentage of people wearing rolexes vs IWC??

for every 9 people wearing a rolex, maybe 1-2 will be wearing an IWC instead.

So yeah, rolexes are oversaturated because of their marketing and fashion trend among celebrities and in the mainstream media.

I never mentioned Rolexes...you did. Rolexes are too gaudy for my taste. Was talking about the PP.
 
A black suit is never good for an interview, whether you are trying for med school or a job in the workforce.

This is from someone who used to only wear black suits. Fortunately, I learned that black is never an appropriate color in the business setting.

Here's the thing...Med school isn't a business setting.
 
I never mentioned Rolexes...you did. Rolexes are too gaudy for my taste. Was talking about the PP.

Ah you should've said so lol. I thought you were referring to the rollys.

I just dont like PP. I dont find them aesthetic enough to justify the price. Same with AP.

Im sure a lot of people might like them, but for the design and quality, you can find the same things in a high end watch in the 5-10K range instead of the 20-50K range. At that point you're just paying for exclusivity.
 
Ah you should've said so lol. I thought you were referring to the rollys.

I just dont like PP. I dont find them aesthetic enough to justify the price. Same with AP.

Im sure a lot of people might like them, but for the design and quality, you can find the same things in a high end watch in the 5-10K range instead of the 20-50K range. At that point you're just paying for exclusivity.

Dunno about that. I was being facetious anyway.

If I had the cash, I'd go with A. Lange & Sohne over IWC, but for personal reasons.