Men's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have this
51SItS9yG0L._SX342_.jpg

Either tie should work. I prefer the pindot - it's what I wore.
 
What do yall think of the suit combination?

The suit looks good! If it were I may change up the tie to something a little more shuttle. Also is that a double Windsor knot? As for hair, I guess anything that is clean and combed... Ryan gosling is suppose.

(Again this is knit picking, if you want to wear what you posted and a faux hawk then I don't think anyone is going to be mad)
 
thank for all the feedback guys.

I rushed the tie because I was getting ready to buy the suit (I was in the changing room)

It is a double Windsor.

Im going to go to Nordstroms to pick out a white shirt and two ties. If yall want to browse their online tie list and let me know of a decent tie, I would appreciate it.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/c/mens-ties?dept=8000001&origin=topnav
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I prefer the windsors over the 4-in-hand because of its symmetry.

just keep the knot skinnier. I'd avoid the full windsor altogether. Every douche-wannabe, horribly styled athlete, and Donald Trump wears a full windsor. James Bond also distrusts anybody who wears a windsor knot because it shows too much vanity.

exhibit A:

special02.jpg


exhibit B:

hoge.jpg


oh god exhibit C:

michael-irvin-21st-annual-sports-spectacular-bfjtvs.jpg
 
Last edited:
I prefer the windsors over the 4-in-hand because of its symmetry.

If you want symmetry, you could also go with a Pratt knot or half-Windsor. Full Windsors aren't usually the way to go unless you have a spread collar to accommodate the size of the knot.

IMO, a well-done four in hand with a nice dimple can be as effective (but I recognize your preference for symmetry). The Windsor is just too much.
 
just keep the knot skinnier. I'd avoid the full windsor altogether. Every douche-wannabe, horribly styled athlete, and Donald Trump wears a full windsor. James Bond also distrusts anybody who wears a windsor knot because it shows too much vanity.

exhibit A:

http://onemansstyle.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/special02.jpg

exhibit B:

http://tokyothinktank.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/hoge.jpg

oh god exhibit C:

http://yepyep.gibbs12.com/wp-conten...vin-21st-annual-sports-spectacular-bfjtvs.jpg

MY EYESSSS

Yeah, I exclusively rock the four-in-hand. Unless it's something casual, then sometimes I mix it up with the Eldredge or Trinity knots. (Sorry for the giant pics)

eldredge-knot.jpg


trinity-knot.jpg
 
brown and charcoal is fine, just don't wear brown and black

I'm more worried about the fact that they're loafers..

MY EYESSSS

Yeah, I exclusively rock the four-in-hand. Unless it's something casual, then sometimes I mix it up with the Eldredge or Trinity knots. (Sorry for the giant pics)

:barf:

Never been a fan of novelty knots. Also the brown contrast collar in the second pic.. lolwut
 
If you want symmetry, you could also go with a Pratt knot or half-Windsor. Full Windsors aren't usually the way to go unless you have a spread collar to accommodate the size of the knot.

IMO, a well-done four in hand with a nice dimple can be as effective (but I recognize your preference for symmetry). The Windsor is just too much.

I might have misspoke.
If you look at my pic, the tie knot is nowhere near that big. It might be a half-windsor.
 
Suggestions on suit/shirt/tie colours for an Asian guy? When I say Asian, think Chow Yun-Fat in terms of hair and complexion. I...doubt I'm going to be able to wear my standard combination of black fitted suit, black with white pinstripes French cuffed shirt, and blood-red tie/pocket square/cufflinks to a medical interview.

That is an absolutely atrocious combination. Please do not ever wear that out fit again, anywhere. Yikes.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If I had the pick of your schools, I wouldve taken Vandy or Pritzker 😳

UCLA gave you a full ride or something?

Well, there was a lot of factors to be considered when choosing a school. All are great. It's about overall happiness and your fit (in and out of the program). You will see soon what I mean.
 
Full Windsor, all the time. Classic, elegant, balanced.👍
Pull it tight and you'll get the symmetry without the bulk. All of the Windsor knots in those photos were loosely tied. Try it and you'll see you can cut the bulk dramatically by tying it correctly.(tight)
😎

The four in hand knot is for the high school varsity team with daddy's borrowed tie.

ugh, seriously? I can get down with the half-windsor and the shelby, but not the full
 
Last edited:
I'm 6'2" and wear a 46 or 48L jacket. I think I can handle the bulk of a properly tied Windsor knot. Some scrawny pencil neck kid may not be able to pull it off. YMMV, but I stand behind the high school varsity comment.

ah I see, yeah it's all about proportions so I see what you mean about both knots
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The four in hand knot is for the high school varsity team with daddy's borrowed tie.

It's sad that you think you're somehow correct here.

A well-tied four-in-hand is often one of the go-to knots for those in the know when it comes to male fashion. Granted, the way I've seen people screw it up is probably what has led you to this unfortunate conclusion.

I'm sorry someone has apparently led you astray.
 
I pull it tight with each step, and again working the dimple. I wouldn't say it's super tight. It pulls right apart when I take it off.

I agree, I only tie a full windsor, and it isn't bulky at all. I am also over 6' so maybe it works better for taller people? I need my tie to be long so I only use the most thin part of the tie. Just start with the narrow end being short and pull tight at each step.
 
I agree, I only tie a full windsor, and it isn't bulky at all. I am also over 6' so maybe it works better for taller people? I need my tie to be long so I only use the most thin part of the tie. Just start with the narrow end being short and pull tight at each step.

I just works better for bigger people, which is also why you see all those NFL players wearing it. If you are bigger, your shirt, collar, and lapels will all be a little bigger, so you need a more substantial tie width and knot
 
Need some opinions here on jewelry etiquette:

I usually wear my great-grandfather's gold ring - it has one flat side, and I don't think it is too flashy, but do you think it may come across as too gaudy?

As for watches - I have two nicer watches and an everyday watch. One of the nicer ones is not any thing too expensive - gold face that you can see the movement through, and a brown leather band. The other watch is a cartier, but does not come across as very showy - just silver santos de cartier with gold accent. Here is my dilemma - I feel that the first watch may be too showy, but the cartier may come across that I come from too privileged of a background. Should I go with my steel, everyday watch, or stick with one of my dressier ones?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I provided pictures to the Cartier and the everyday watch...the third I could not find online.

http://www.cartier.us/collections/t...tos-de-cartier-galbee-watch-extra-large-model

http://www.lefthandedwatch.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Victorinox-Professional-DIve-Master.jpg
 
Need some opinions here on jewelry etiquette:

I usually wear my great-grandfather's gold ring - it has one flat side, and I don't think it is too flashy, but do you think it may come across as too gaudy?

As for watches - I have two nicer watches and an everyday watch. One of the nicer ones is not any thing too expensive - gold face that you can see the movement through, and a brown leather band. The other watch is a cartier, but does not come across as very showy - just silver santos de cartier with gold accent. Here is my dilemma - I feel that the first watch may be too showy, but the cartier may come across that I come from too privileged of a background. Should I go with my steel, everyday watch, or stick with one of my dressier ones?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I provided pictures to the Cartier and the everyday watch...the third I could not find online.

http://www.cartier.us/collections/t...tos-de-cartier-galbee-watch-extra-large-model

http://www.lefthandedwatch.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Victorinox-Professional-DIve-Master.jpg


Since when is that Cartier not flashy? Strike that one.
The stainless one is a sports watch - not your best bet.
Take a photo of the gold one and post it --
No one says you have to wear a watch. Cell phones tell time... Better no watch than one that works against your interests.
 
Since when is that Cartier not flashy? Strike that one.
The stainless one is a sports watch - not your best bet.
Take a photo of the gold one and post it --
No one says you have to wear a watch. Cell phones tell time... Better no watch than one that works against your interests.


Yea okay that is kind of what I was thinking for the watches. I will probably end up going no watch then, but tell me what you think of the third
 

Attachments

  • Screen Shot 2013-08-06 at 9.58.49 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-08-06 at 9.58.49 AM.png
    152.5 KB · Views: 147
I just works better for bigger people, which is also why you see all those NFL players wearing it. If you are bigger, your shirt, collar, and lapels will all be a little bigger, so you need a more substantial tie width and knot

I think the material of the tie makes a big difference. Depending on the material I don't think it's difficult to tie a reasonable knot. I avoid the huge knot thing like the plague, and it's possible to do so while tying a full Windsor (see attached).

I'm just saying I think the advice ought to be "don't tie a giant gaudy knot", not "don't tie a Windsor". However, I will concede that for a rookie, just taking "don't tie a Windsor" as a general rule of thumb may be beneficial.
 

Attachments

  • tie.jpg
    tie.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 196
It's amazing how active this thread is, especially when compared to the women's interview attire thread.

I admittedly read through most of this thread last Friday when I was extremely bored at work, and I learned several interesting things about men's interview attire (e.g., black suits are bad business for interviews.)
 
Hi guys, I was wondering if a charcoal-ish checkered (subtle) sports coat is too informal for interviews? I was thinking of wearing a white shirt, dark, solid tie, and black pants/shoes.

If it is then I guess I need to go buy a new suit..
 
For those thinking of purchasing online. Although I've never purchased one I wasn't impressed with indochino. They don't look good at all imo and I've heard they're hit or miss. And I can recall my less informed/less stylish days when I purchased my first suit from Men's Warehouse. It was buy 1 get 1, and 1 of the suits they absolutely butchered the tailoring. Waste of time and money for a bad suit.

If I'm going to take a risk on a suit nowadays, I buy my suits on ebay (Brooks Brothers Fitzgerald mostly). I know exactly how it fits me (or I can go to the store and find out off the rack) good quality suit, and it's incredibly comfortable. Plus I know my measurements so when people make a posting similar to my measurements I can be confident that it will fit well (biggest worry is the shoulders). There are tons of other quality brands on there as well but I prefer BB.

BB Fitzgerald usually runs about $1000 or $600 if there's a sale. I got mine used for $60 and made some slight alterations for $30 more. You might think used is a huge turnoff but the suit is in perfect condition, cleaned and pressed, looks brand new, and was insanely cheap. Just make sure when you browse postings that the seller is reputable. Everyone I've bought from has had crystal clear information about the suits plus plenty of pictures to determine quality. And if you feel you were misled or find a problem you can return it.

My other BB Fitzgerald cost $170 and it was new with tags. I generally see Fitzgerald's new with tags going for about $100-250. Still significantly cheaper than in the store + sale.

I did a decent bit of research about knock offs before buying. You won't find anything of that sort with BB. I can't say the same for mass manufactured nike shoes, watches, etc though. Most of the time the seller simply has a hook up, other times they wore it once and tossed it in the closet. Or the person might be a thrifter. They go to thrift shops where housewives got rid of older suits, sift through to find name brands still in good shape, then sell online. One of mine actually came from a med student who interviewed, put it in the closet, gained 50 lbs, and decided to sell. Pretty sweet deal for me plus it might have some lucky mojo since he was accepted.

But yeah, food for thought for those thinking of purchasing online. Sometimes it's a risk but I've come away with 3 quality suits for very cheap.

Also, for interviews (job interviews) I like to keep it simple. Charcoal suit, solid shirt, striped tie with dimple, black shoes/belt, well trimmed/short beard. I can't remember the last time I had a clean shave plus clean shaven reminds me of a politician. A watch is fine but all that other stuff is overkill imo. I like to keep it simple but high quality.
 
Last edited:
Hi guys, I was wondering if a charcoal-ish checkered (subtle) sports coat is too informal for interviews? I was thinking of wearing a white shirt, dark, solid tie, and black pants/shoes.

If it is then I guess I need to go buy a new suit..

If you don't wear a suit you will be one of the few who isn't wearing one. And it wouldn't be standing out in a good way, either. Everyone here is going to tell you to invest in a suit unless there's absolutely no way you can afford it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you don't wear a suit you will be one of the few who isn't wearing one. And it wouldn't be standing out in a good way, either. Everyone here is going to tell you to invest in a suit unless there's absolutely no way you can afford it.

Ahh well thank you for your honest response. I have about a month before my first interview, plenty of time to shop around. Thanks again.
 
For those thinking of purchasing online. Although I've never purchased one I wasn't impressed with indochino. They don't look good at all imo and I've heard they're hit or miss. And I can recall my less informed/less stylish days when I purchased my first suit from Men's Warehouse. It was buy 1 get 1, and 1 of the suits they absolutely butchered the tailoring. Waste of time and money for a bad suit.

If I'm going to take a risk on a suit nowadays, I buy my suits on ebay (Brooks Brothers Fitzgerald mostly). I know exactly how it fits me (or I can go to the store and find out off the rack) good quality suit, and it's incredibly comfortable. Plus I know my measurements so when people make a posting similar to my measurements I can be confident that it will fit well (biggest worry is the shoulders). There are tons of other quality brands on there as well but I prefer BB.

BB Fitzgerald usually runs about $1000 or $600 if there's a sale. I got mine used for $60 and made some slight alterations for $30 more. You might think used is a huge turnoff but the suit is in perfect condition, cleaned and pressed, looks brand new, and was insanely cheap. Just make sure when you browse postings that the seller is reputable. Everyone I've bought from has had crystal clear information about the suits plus plenty of pictures to determine quality. And if you feel you were misled or find a problem you can return it.

A watch is fine but all that other stuff is overkill imo. I like to keep it simple but high quality.

Well done! And you're absolutely right about the quality and tailoring of those BB suits. For the price of one new cheap one, you can remedy a whole lot of *possible* bad fit and still have a much, much better suit that will last for years. Really good fabrics and core construction details show in a very subtle but unmistakable way.

If you're willing to take a risk (like Indochino), BB on ebay is the way to go --