Men's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
by skinny suits, I mean the ones with very narrow lapels and shoulders coupled with skinny ties.

I have attached a pic for reference.
zac-skinny-tie.jpg

I knew what you meant, I was just pointing out that a lot of the lingo is lost on most people.
 
Mmhm, sack suits.

(Note that color coordination is fine in these pictures: charcoal + black, navy + dark brown)

DSCF9198.jpg
frenchcuff022.jpg
 
So dress up and pretend to be someone you're not on your interview day? Is the point not to show the interviewer who you are? I am a young, stylish, liberal Latino man...on interview day I should dress up and be an old, conservative, white man to fit in to the "culture"? Don't schools care about diversity?

Not sure which part of what I said could be construed as white, or not liberally Latino. Look, wear what you want. Show up wearing a lucha libre mask and some red kinky boots, **** it who cares. Don't hold it in. Just don't be surprised that what some would call the margins of acceptable business attire others might find disrespectful to the environment and culture of medicine. I'm not sure why you can't understand that, or find it so personally censorious. Wear whatever you want. No one will care one bit.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not sure which part of what I said could be construed as white, or not liberally Latino. Look, wear what you want. Show up wearing a lucha libre mask and some red kinky boots, **** it who cares. Don't hold it in. Just don't be surprised that what some would call the margins of acceptable business attire others might find disrespectful to the environment and culture of medicine. I'm not sure why you can't understand that, or find it so personally censorious. Wear whatever you want. No one will care one bit.

Unfortunately, it's what happens when young medical school applicants who may never have held a real job in the workplace prepare for interviews. The naivety is palpable.
 
So dress up and pretend to be someone you're not on your interview day? Is the point not to show the interviewer who you are? I am a young, stylish, liberal Latino man...on interview day I should dress up and be an old, conservative, white man to fit in to the "culture"? Don't schools care about diversity?

Is that all you are? A young, stylish liberal Latino?

Are you not also intelligent, savvy, upwardly mobile, serious, professional? An aggressively stylish suit is as inappropriate for men as a short skirt and hooker heels are for women, and for the same reasons. It's an outfit chosen to make you look attractive in a certain way. It's an outfit that loudly and clearly says one of two things:

1) I don't know any better, or
2) I do know, but I deliberately chose to flaunt the rules.

A cheap, poorly fitted suit with an inexpensive white shirt and cheap tie says I don't know any better or can't afford any better - but there may be hope. After all, you're just a poor college student. An inexpensive 'nightclub' or 'hood' suit might be interpreted that way (if you're lucky) if there's enough on your application to demonstrate altruism.

An expensive, overly stylish suit says that you do know the rules (after all, you spent a lot), but have deliberately chosen to flout them. It's likely going to be perceived as an overtly hostile choice that will feed any latent prejudices that exist: If you're a white guy, you're a rich, spoiled one. If you're a minority, you're angry.

Want to join the doctor club? (A country club is not a bad analogy.) Dress the part. Or if you can't afford to do that, dress like that's what you aspire to. (Again, it's OK to be a poor college student at this phase in your life.)

Bottom line: Don't show disdain for the club you are asking to join.
 
Last edited:
You're one of the few that is not happy with Indochino...

Maybe you just have a weird body type?

Regardless, they sent me a sample of their fabric that arrived today and it feels quite nice...

I have a pretty normal body type, the unhappiness is due to poor construction and fabrics.

And $75 in tailoring can't fix anything outside of small adjustments. Armholes, sleeve pitch, shoulder lumps are going to be way over.
 
So dress up and pretend to be someone you're not on your interview day? Is the point not to show the interviewer who you are? I am a young, stylish, liberal Latino man...on interview day I should dress up and be an old, conservative, white man to fit in to the "culture"? Don't schools care about diversity?

:laugh::laugh::laugh: Oh wait, you're being serious.
 
I have a pretty normal body type, the unhappiness is due to poor construction and fabrics.

And $75 in tailoring can't fix anything outside of small adjustments. Armholes, sleeve pitch, shoulder lumps are going to be way over.

I guess Ill have to wait and see then..

I have a wide V taper so idk how normal my body-type is
 
So is a "skinny" suit the same thing as a "fitted" suit? I've only ever heard the term fitted, never skinny.
 
So is a "skinny" suit the same thing as a "fitted" suit? I've only ever heard the term fitted, never skinny.

No.

Skinny suit can include a slimmer fit, but it generally refers to a suit that has a "trendier" feel:

slimfit.jpg
 
So dress up and pretend to be someone you're not on your interview day? Is the point not to show the interviewer who you are? I am a young, stylish, liberal Latino man...on interview day I should dress up and be an old, conservative, white man to fit in to the "culture"? Don't schools care about diversity?

Since when does dressing professionally equate to being an old, conservative white man?

I'm latino, not sure what that has to do with anything, and I don't consider dressing professionally to be taking away my culture.

However, the fact you think skinny ties ever look good, tells me its less about dressing professional and more that you just have a bad sense of style.
 
No.

Skinny suit can include a slimmer fit, but it generally refers to a suit that has a "trendier" feel:

slimfit.jpg

Other than the lapels being slightly too narrow, thats actually not a bad suit, imo.

These are what I consider skinny suits

Mens-Fashion-and-Lifestyle-Aficionado-Skinny-Suits.jpg
 
Since when does dressing professionally equate to being an old, conservative white man?

I'm latino, not sure what that has to do with anything, and I don't consider dressing professionally to be taking away my culture.

However, the fact you think skinny ties ever look good, tells me its less about dressing professional and more that you just have a bad sense of style.

Lol I don't wear "skinny" ties per say but rather "slim" ties...that guy in the picture above that you just commented on is wearing a slim tie. Skinny ties that are as thing as a belt are a bit ridiculous I will say.

And as for being Latino, young and stylish I was simply trying to illustrate a point that I feel a bit odd putting on what would feel like a "professional costume" when I feel that I dictate myself in a professional manner anyway. I would hope that my application and personality would speak for itself rather than the narrowness of my lapel. I think that trendier suits are still professional and I know professionals in other fields who wear them regularly. I understand that medicine has a bit of a good old boys club mentality to it but I didn't think that wearing a nice, trendy suit would mark you as though you did not belong. Perhaps, I am completely off and that if you want to join the ranks of medicine conformity is key. I was hoping that this was not the case, but if it is then what choice do I have?
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I understand that medicine has a bit of a good old boys club mentality to it but I didn't think that wearing a nice, trendy suit would mark you as though you did not belong. Perhaps, I am completely off and that if you want to join the ranks of medicine conformity is key.

Yes.
 
I'm looking to buy a pair of Park Avenues and the Nordstrom site says they run large and to order 1/2 size down. Can anyone confirm/deny this info?

They're having their anniversary sale btw, new pair for $229 for those interested in buying new. I found a lot of great looking used ones on eBay also.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/allen-e...m_sp=personalizedsort-_-browseresults-_-1_2_A

You should probably go into an Allen Edmond store to actually try on the shoes. The 5 last is a very narrow one.

For what it's worth, I wear size 8.5 Tramezzas, size 9 Nikes, and I'm right in between a 7.5 and a 8 for Allen Edmond 5 last shoes.
 
I have a charcoal suit with black shoes and belt but my nice watch has a brown strap, so I guess a no on the watch?
 
I have a charcoal suit with black shoes and belt but my nice watch has a brown strap, so I guess a no on the watch?

Just go on amazon or to a store like JC Penney and buy a $10 black leather strap.
 
Just go on amazon or to a store like JC Penney and buy a $10 black leather strap.

Watch face is brown as well and the strap isn't easily interchangeable unfortunately, I'll probably just have to go with a cheaper silver one.
 
Watch face is brown as well and the strap isn't easily interchangeable unfortunately, I'll probably just have to go with a cheaper silver one.

If it means that much to you, just buy a Timex Weekender from Target or amazon for around $30. While it's not the most amazing watch, it looks sleek enough for an interview suit.

And really, it depends on the tailoring of your suit. So many interviewees had sleeves that extended down to their knuckles, hiding their watches (if they were wearing one) completely. If your suit fits like that, then don't worry about it 🙂
 
You should probably go into an Allen Edmond store to actually try on the shoes. The 5 last is a very narrow one.

For what it's worth, I wear size 8.5 Tramezzas, size 9 Nikes, and I'm right in between a 7.5 and a 8 for Allen Edmond 5 last shoes.

Definitely try them on. I wear 10.5's in most athletic shoes and ended up getting a pair of 9.5 Park Avenues.

I have a charcoal suit with black shoes and belt but my nice watch has a brown strap, so I guess a no on the watch?

There really is no consensus about watches. Some will tell you it needs to match, others will tell you that's just being neurotic. If you're going to feel self conscious wearing it then don't do it. Otherwise I don't think anyone will care.
 
Do they not go on sale during the regular sales?

No they dont, they are excluded from J Crew sales. The Ludlow line is their popular and nice line, they dont need to have sales for it people buy them at full price all the time. The only time you can get a Ludlow suit for less than MSRP is if you can find last years cut at an outlet or discount mall or something but it is hard to do.
 
No they dont, they are excluded from J Crew sales. The Ludlow line is their popular and nice line, they dont need to have sales for it people buy them at full price all the time. The only time you can get a Ludlow suit for less than MSRP is if you can find last years cut at an outlet or discount mall or something but it is hard to do.

You a J. Crew type of brother, Juan? lol
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Suggestions on suit/shirt/tie colours for an Asian guy? When I say Asian, think Chow Yun-Fat in terms of hair and complexion. I...doubt I'm going to be able to wear my standard combination of black fitted suit, black with white pinstripes French cuffed shirt, and blood-red tie/pocket square/cufflinks to a medical interview.
 
Suggestions on suit/shirt/tie colours for an Asian guy? When I say Asian, think Chow Yun-Fat in terms of hair and complexion. I...doubt I'm going to be able to wear my standard combination of black fitted suit, black with white pinstripes French cuffed shirt, and blood-red tie/pocket square/cufflinks to a medical interview.

Go with grey suit, litter color shirt, dark color/solid color tie. Black shoes.
 
Go with grey suit, litter color shirt, dark color/solid color tie. Black shoes.

This. Also try to avoid red. Its seen as an aggressive color. Darker colors compliment light skinned people well.
And I heard that french cuffs are not appropriate for interviews.

Also SOLO, link me some pics on what hairstyle you think is good.
 
What do yall think of the suit combination?

Get rid of that tie and go for something with less going on. I'm a pindot guy, so I'd go for a navy or burgundy tie with white pindots. If you want a striped tie, stick with subtle stripes (in width and color)
 
What do yall think of the suit combination?

Figure that knot out and you are golden…just got my suit and some bombshell shoes to match…some cole Haan bit brown leather loafers…fix it with a charcoal suit, lavender shirt, red tie with lavender pindots, and a silver accent tie bar and I'm feelin good…get it goin
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Figure that knot out and you are golden…just got my suit and some bombshell shoes to match…some cole Haan bit brown leather loafers…fix it with a charcoal suit, lavender shirt, red tie with lavender pindots, and a silver accent tie bar and I'm feelin good…get it goin

you're wearing brown shoes on a charcoal suit?

whats wrong with the knot?
 
If you can dimple the knot or keep it slim on all sides (no bend-ups like you had on the right side of the picture)