Men's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't think it's an either or proposition. I actually think they can go hand in hand well, but it just seemed toward the end there that the advice was straying towards dressing more and more plain which is what prompted me to chime in and say while that is the safest advice to give to someone whom you know nothing else about, there are perhaps other better options that are still conservative yet show you put some thought behind your outfit.

Matching shades of blue on top of each other is not "plain."

White and light blue shirts are staples.

Just because we're not recommending that people should go to interviews rocking thin lapel suits paired with skinny ties and neon pink shirts doesn't mean that we're giving recommendations for "drab and plain" dress.

I think you're confusing sharp with fashion forward.
 
Matching shades of blue on top of each other is not "plain."

White and light blue shirts are staples.

Just because we're not recommending that people should go to interviews rocking thin lapel suits paired with skinny ties and neon pink shirts doesn't mean that we're giving recommendations for "drab and plain" dress.

I think you're confusing sharp with fashion forward.

I don't think I am, as you can see none of my pictures are advocating thin lapels, skinny ties, or neon colors... Furthermore none of my comments suggest this either. There is not problem with white or blue, obviously they are staples, however it's not to say that you can't have white or blue with a light pattern, same goes for tie. Even the suit itself can have maybe a little bit of character as long as it's not over bearing.


dwight+%26+angela.jpg


vs

tumblr_mmlmr7U6cj1s4a5xpo1_400.png

lol

but really
suit_1x.jpg


Anyways, I am starting to get bored of this discussion so I'll leave you all be. I have confidence that you all will be able to dress yourselves accordingly with 37 pages of advice. I'll see everyone at the II's dressed like the 2nd picture above.
 
Anyone got suggestion for shoes? Wearing a Navy suit with subtle lines (cannot see anything unless 15cm)

Sent from my SGH-T889V using Tapatalk 2
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't think I am, as you can see none of my pictures are advocating thin lapels, skinny ties, or neon colors... Furthermore none of my comments suggest this either. There is not problem with white or blue, obviously they are staples, however it's not to say that you can't have white or blue with a light pattern, same goes for tie. Even the suit itself can have maybe a little bit of character as long as it's not over bearing.


dwight+%26+angela.jpg


vs

tumblr_mmlmr7U6cj1s4a5xpo1_400.png

lol

but really
suit_1x.jpg


Anyways, I am starting to get bored of this discussion so I'll leave you all be. I have confidence that you all will be able to dress yourselves accordingly with 37 pages of advice. I'll see everyone at the II's dressed like the 2nd picture above.

Essentially what you have said is, "ya'lls advice is good for most clueless pre-meds, but for people in the know it's lacking". What I'm saying is that anyone who thinks black suits and peaked lapels are an acceptable option to suggest probably needs more help than he can give. Best of luck on your interviews, and I mean that with no malice or sarcasm.
 
Essentially what you have said is, "ya'lls advice is good for most clueless pre-meds, but for people in the know it's lacking". What I'm saying is that anyone who thinks black suits and peaked lapels are an acceptable option to suggest probably needs more help than he can give. Best of luck on your interviews, and I mean that with no malice or sarcasm.

You know what, to be honest I don't know why I kept on posting because while I was writing my second reply I realized what I was writing had no value added since like you said what I was saying was it's good advice for those who know nothing but bad advice for those who do know how to dress themselves. But I realize it's stupid to do what I was doing seeing as if the person knows how to dress themselves then they don't need advice anyways. So it still boils down to people that don't know.

As for the lapels, as I addressed earlier, it was an oversight as what I was going for in my post was more about color scheme and patterns and not the coat itself. FWIW the Allen Edmond's are pretty nice.
 
I think the material of the tie makes a big difference. Depending on the material I don't think it's difficult to tie a reasonable knot. I avoid the huge knot thing like the plague, and it's possible to do so while tying a full Windsor (see attached).

I'm just saying I think the advice ought to be "don't tie a giant gaudy knot", not "don't tie a Windsor". However, I will concede that for a rookie, just taking "don't tie a Windsor" as a general rule of thumb may be beneficial.

I briefly considered doing an Eldredge knot before coming to my senses that it would be the equivalent of walking into an interview wearing a fedora. I'm going to stick with a Windsor, probably a half. A smaller knot might be preferable so as to not stand out and draw attention, but I dislike the four-in-hand immensely because its asymmetry makes it look sloppy and is more distracting to me than a slightly larger knot.
 
my personal choice is black because it goes with Grey/Navy/Black suits...

With brown your only option is navy suits.

Honestly, brown shoes are acceptable with charcoal, but shoes with a reddish tint (like burgundy, cordovan, merlot) are preferred.
 
But the point still stands that black is more versatile than brown or any other shade of it.

I would only wear black shoes during events where a black suit is required. I would probably also wear black shoes if I was going out after dark.

I'm not sure where you get your point about black shoes being more versatile.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would only wear black shoes during events where a black suit is required. I would probably also wear black shoes if I was going out after dark.

I'm not sure where you get your point about black shoes being more versatile.

Black goes with everything. Brown doesn't. That's the point.
 
Black goes with everything. Brown doesn't. That's the point.

I think you have that backwards.

Brown shoes can go with about every color besides a black suit.

Navy and brown - Good
Gray and brown - good


I prefer burgundy but black is always the last option as far as shoe color goes.
 
I think you have that backwards.

Brown shoes can go with about every color besides a black suit.

Navy and brown - Good
Gray and brown - good


I prefer burgundy but black is always the last option as far as shoe color goes.

Did you just contradict yourself?
Since brown doesn't go with black suits, but black shoes do, that means that black shoes can be used with more color options than brown shoes can..
 
If anyone's looking to get a MTM suit online I recommend Black Lapel, their service has been outstanding and it only took 2 weeks for it to be shipped. I admit it can be pricey for us pre-meds, but you'll end up getting a good quality half canvassed suit that won't wear out after a year that fits really well.
 
Name one color that black shoes dont go with that brown shoes do.

You are beyond help it seems.

For anyone else reading, black shoes are generally reserved for the more formal types of events. You will get much more use out of a pair of brown shoes. They are far far more versatile than a pair of black shoes. Ignore what Gandalf has said, as his advice on this thread is pretty terrible.
 
You are beyond help it seems.

For anyone else reading, black shoes are generally reserved for the more formal types of events. You will get much more use out of a pair of brown shoes. They are far far more versatile than a pair of black shoes. Ignore what Gandalf has said, as his advice on this thread is pretty terrible.

Yo I disagree with this. Black cap-toes have been standard - literally - for conservative shoes for 60 years. Unlike black suits (which are appropriate only for waitstaff and funerals), black cap-toes are perfectly fine with charcoal, light gray, navy, or lighter blue suits. Not to say that browns are a poor choice, but I find that a black looks better than a brown with most charcoal suits.
 
dude, you clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

Oh and you do?
Go to any high end shoe designer and ask them.

You are beyond help it seems.

For anyone else reading, black shoes are generally reserved for the more formal types of events. You will get much more use out of a pair of brown shoes. They are far far more versatile than a pair of black shoes. Ignore what Gandalf has said, as his advice on this thread is pretty terrible.

Yeah because an interview isn't formal right?

Yo I disagree with this. Black cap-toes have been standard - literally - for conservative shoes for 60 years. Unlike black suits (which are appropriate only for waitstaff and funerals), black cap-toes are perfectly fine with charcoal, light gray, navy, or lighter blue suits. Not to say that browns are a poor choice, but I find that a black looks better than a brown with most charcoal suits.
👍
 
For anyone else reading, black shoes are generally reserved for the more formal types of events. You will get much more use out of a pair of brown shoes. They are far far more versatile than a pair of black shoes. Ignore what Gandalf has said, as his advice on this thread is pretty terrible.

👍

Yeah because an interview isn't formal right?

We're talking about formal on the level of a wedding or a funeral.

We're talking about the kind of shoes that the president of the united states is expected to wear while speaking in a public function, and the kind of shoes that would be part of a military dress uniform (even though all of the soldiers I have ever seen wear derby shoes).
 
Do people still wear full on suits for med interview when the temperature is in the high 30s?

Sent from my SGH-T889V using Tapatalk 2
 
Too much misinformation in this thread.

With regards to shoes: In your most conservative suiting i.e. charcoal and navy solids, black shoes are ideal, especially with black buttons. A dark burgundy can look good with navy as well, but not too hot with charcoal. Dark brown is acceptable with either when buttons are changed to a dark horn, but again, not ideal.

The reason brown is considered "better" than black on SF (a lot of SF lurkers here it seems) is that brown is preferred over all instances except the above i.e. lighter and non-solids suits and odd jackets/trousers. Brown shoes also develop that highly desirable patina while black shoes just stay black. My advice: unless you're wearing less conservative suits or odd jackets on a frequent basis, go with a black cap toe balmoral. Black park avenues are fine. Hell black J&M or Florsheim are okay, too. No need to drop $350 for PAs or $200 for PA seconds when all you're going to wear them for is med school interviews.

--

With regards to suiting: Medicine is not a conservative field. CBD is not preferred in the field, and there's no strict hierarchy as with finance or law. Most likely, med school interviewers won't really care what type of suit you show up in. My advice: Navy or charcoal suit with notch lapels 3" or wider. Tie matches lapel width, and novelty patterns and bold colors should be avoided. If you want a pocket square, white linen w/ a neat flat fold (no points or puffs).

Unless you're confident in your measurements, buy your suit off the rack and get it tailored and avoid made-to-measure. Fit before quality. A fitting cheapo Hugo Boss will look better than an ill-fitting Kiton. Unless you have an interest in tailored clothing and wear it often, you (and likely the interviewer) won't be able to tell the difference in quality anyway.

None of this advice is hard or fast. Lapels can be thinner or wider by taste. Peaked lapels are probably fine, too. The Harvey Specter look may be a little too bold, however, with its combination of wide peaks and strong roped shoulders (not like any of us can afford Tom Ford/Zegna Couture anyway). Orange grenadine tie with navy? Go for it if you want. As aforementioned, medicine is not a CBD field.
 
Last edited:
Do people still wear full on suits for med interview when the temperature is in the high 30s?

Sent from my SGH-T889V using Tapatalk 2

Why wouldn't you? You could wear long underwear. Gloves, a hat, a scarf, and a vest are also items that you can wear to stay warm.

Unless you meant high 30s Celsius.

Then yes, you still would.


I'm not even going to go into how off base you are, considering how both residents and attendings have posted in this thread, but as the thread is about interview clothing, I doubt we are talking about the field at large.

I'm not sure what country scrubs would be considered CBD in.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Too much misinformation in this thread.

With regards to shoes: In your most conservative suiting i.e. charcoal and navy solids, black shoes are ideal, especially with black buttons. A dark burgundy can look good with navy as well, but not too hot with charcoal. Dark brown is acceptable with either when buttons are changed to a dark horn, but again, not ideal.

The reason brown is considered "better" than black on SF (a lot of SF lurkers here it seems) is that brown is preferred over all instances except the above i.e. lighter and non-solids suits and odd jackets/trousers. Brown shoes also develop that highly desirable patina while black shoes just stay black. My advice: unless you're wearing less conservative suits or odd jackets on a frequent basis, go with a black cap toe balmoral. Black park avenues are fine. Hell black J&M or Florsheim are okay, too. No need to drop $350 for PAs or $200 for PA seconds when all you're going to wear them for is med school interviews.

--

With regards to suiting: Medicine is not a conservative field. CBD is not preferred in the field, and there's no strict hierarchy as with finance or law. Most likely, med school interviewers won't really care what type of suit you show up in. My advice: Navy or charcoal suit with notch lapels 3" or wider. Tie matches lapel width, and novelty patterns and bold colors should be avoided. If you want a pocket square, white linen w/ a neat flat fold (no points or puffs).

Unless you're confident in your measurements, buy your suit off the rack and get it tailored and avoid made-to-measure. Fit before quality. A fitting cheapo Hugo Boss will look better than an ill-fitting Kiton. Unless you have an interest in tailored clothing and wear it often, you (and likely the interviewer) won't be able to tell the difference in quality anyway.

None of this advice is hard or fast. Lapels can be thinner or wider by taste. Peaked lapels are probably fine, too. The Harvey Specter look may be a little too bold, however, with its combination of wide peaks and strong roped shoulders (not like any of us can afford Tom Ford/Zegna Couture anyway). Orange grenadine tie with navy? Go for it if you want. As aforementioned, medicine is not a CBD field.

👍👍
 
Regardless of which color is "better" or "more versatile", I still think that black Allen Edmonds PAs are glorious and everyone would do well to own a pair. All I'm saying.
 
You are beyond help it seems.

For anyone else reading, black shoes are generally reserved for the more formal types of events. You will get much more use out of a pair of brown shoes. They are far far more versatile than a pair of black shoes. Ignore what Gandalf has said, as his advice on this thread is pretty terrible.

You are including residency interviews in this, and not just weddings/funerals, right?

Capture.png
 
You are including residency interviews in this, and not just weddings/funerals, right?

Capture.png

I'm pretty sure he means just generally for all situations. Your black shoes work with a suit obviously, but wearing them with jeans, casual chinos, etc are going to look ridiculous. Brown dress shoes will still work in those situations, as well as with a suit. So if you're going to invest in one quality dress shoe, brown is the way to go.
 
I'm pretty sure he means just generally for all situations. Your black shoes work with a suit obviously, but wearing them with jeans, casual chinos, etc are going to look ridiculous. Brown dress shoes will still work in those situations, as well as with a suit. So if you're going to invest in one quality dress shoe, brown is the way to go.

Okay now that makes perfect sense to me. I was getting pretty confused because somebody up there said you were only allowed to wear black shoes if you're going to a wedding or funeral, of if you're president of the United States (???). As long as we all agree that black shoes are fine for an interview (with a suit of appropriate color) and that park aves are the bee's knees, then I'm on board.
 
You are including residency interviews in this, and not just weddings/funerals, right?

Capture.png

Despite this being an "interview" thread, the claim being made earlier was pointing towards black shoes being more versatile in general, which they absolutely are not. I was in no way, shape, or form suggesting that black shoes are a bad choice for a charcoal or navy suit for interviews.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but your little "Gotcha" moment was off the mark.
 
Despite this being an "interview" thread, the claim being made earlier was pointing towards black shoes being more versatile in general, which they absolutely are not. I was in no way, shape, or form suggesting that black shoes are a bad choice for a charcoal or navy suit for interviews.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but your little "Gotcha" moment was off the mark.

That's right, you weren't. Others posting in the thread were, so I was just hoping for some clarity on this matter. With that established I think we're on the same page, cf my last comment. Sorry if you felt singled out, wasn't intentional
 
I'm not even going to go into how off base you are, considering how both residents and attendings have posted in this thread, but as the thread is about interview clothing, I doubt we are talking about the field at large.

I'm not sure what country scrubs would be considered CBD in.

Not sure what you mean here. CBD is what is expected at a medical school interview. Everything I mentioned is pretty much on base with regards to the (lack of) importance of what you wear in medicine vs finance and law and what has been the standard in CBD for the past few decades.
 
I'd rather be bold than boring

I dont really care for either. The point was that you said I dont know what I was talking about when I recommended black over brown, which is the general consensus by shoemakers and experienced shoe salesmen for interview attire.

If you want to go ahead and be bold by doing something where others dont, thats totally fine.
 
Despite this being an "interview" thread, the claim being made earlier was pointing towards black shoes being more versatile in general, which they absolutely are not. I was in no way, shape, or form suggesting that black shoes are a bad choice for a charcoal or navy suit for interviews.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but your little "Gotcha" moment was off the mark.

No worries.

A lot of this could be summed up/simplified by stratifying things into "acceptable [but not ideal]" and "preferred."

For instance, a black suit at a medical school interview will not get you kicked out at all, and will do if it's all you own and your'e strapped for cash; however, it really should only be reserved for funerals and maybe a few other rare occasions.

Therefore, a black suit in this instance is "acceptable [but not ideal]"


Obviously people get into medical school all the time wearing boxy black suits with squared toed slip ons, so a bad suit probably won't keep you out of medical school at all; however, it makes little sense to knowingly thumb your nose at dressing well, so you'd be wise to at least follow a few basic guidelines.
 
I dont really care for either. The point was that you said I dont know what I was talking about when I recommended black over brown, which is the general consensus by shoemakers and experienced shoe salesmen for interview attire.

If you want to go ahead and be bold by doing something where others dont, thats totally fine.

You also said black is more versatile, which it absolutely is not.

With the exception of interviews, weddings, and funerals, there are almost no circumstances in which a black shoe is more appropriate than a brown shoe.

That said, obviously the meat of this thread is about shoe choice at interviews, in which case a black shoe is perfectly fine.

A black suit, however, is just a poor choice in general. It won't be a deal breaker (see my post above), but it's a good way to tell the world "I don't have any clue what I'm doing."
 
Despite this being an "interview" thread, the claim being made earlier was pointing towards black shoes being more versatile in general, which they absolutely are not. I was in no way, shape, or form suggesting that black shoes are a bad choice for a charcoal or navy suit for interviews.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but your little "Gotcha" moment was off the mark.

the claim made earlier was referring to black shoes and their versatility in INTERVIEW attire, not in general. So it is still on point. I never said that black shoes in CASUAL attire are better. This is a thread for medical school INTERVIEW, so it makes sense to understand that the advice I put forth deals with INTERVIEW attire.

I am also sure that he will wear a black suit to an event sometime in his life, which is also where the black will trump the brown... Its a better option if you dont want to buy two pairs of shoes instead of one.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm pretty sure he means just generally for all situations. Your black shoes work with a suit obviously, but wearing them with jeans, casual chinos, etc are going to look ridiculous. Brown dress shoes will still work in those situations, as well as with a suit. So if you're going to invest in one quality dress shoe, brown is the way to go.

Balmorals of any kind--black or brown--should not be worn without at least an odd jacket, unless you're going for some hipster look. In fact, you're not supposed to wear balmorals with anything less than a suit. Without a jacket, you could get away with a casual blucher like a longwing, but that is as far as I'd recommend.

If you're not wearing tailored clothing on a frequent basis, you shouldn't be wearing dress shoes on a frequent basis, and if an investment will be made, make it in a black cap toe.
 
With the exception of interviews, weddings, and funerals, there are almost no circumstances in which a black shoe is more appropriate than a brown shoe.

This is not true. Black shoes are more appropriate than brown with dark solid suits. In my opinion, black looks better than brown with all values of grey, but most sartorials prefer to wear the more exciting brown with medium to dove greys. Brown shoes are more appropriate with lighter solids/patterned suits and odd jackets and trousers.
 
That's right, you weren't. Others posting in the thread were, so I was just hoping for some clarity on this matter. With that established I think we're on the same page, cf my last comment. Sorry if you felt singled out, wasn't intentional

Please don't try to stick meaning into my posts that I didn't mean.

It's like Secret's slogan: "Strong Enough for a Man, Made for a Woman"

GuyWhoDoesStuff summed up the simple gist of what all the advice made here is about in post #1899.

I'm sure in the history of med school applications, some applicant has been accepted wearing a sports jacket, khakis, and loafers. Does that mean that you should not wear a suit at all?
 
Please don't try to stick meaning into my posts that I didn't mean.

It's like Secret's slogan: "Strong Enough for a Man, Made for a Woman"

GuyWhoDoesStuff summed up the simple gist of what all the advice made here is about in post #1899.

I'm sure in the history of med school applications, some applicant has been accepted wearing a sports jacket, khakis, and loafers. Does that mean that you should not wear a suit at all?

This isn't like the black suit issue. I see no reason why anyone would argue that a pair of black park aves would fall into the category of "acceptable [but not ideal]". I think there are multiple "preferred" options for shoe color, and the correct choice depends on the color of your suit. I think most of us by now have agreed that in an interview,

GuyWhoDoesStuff said:
a black shoe is perfectly fine.

As for misquoting you: I have explicitly taken issue with you stating that black shoes are less than ideal in an interview setting; that was all I meant to dispute. If that's not actually what you meant, then great. (edited to reflect that this last statement is still in response to Toss).
 
Last edited:
The point was that you said I dont know what I was talking about when I recommended black over brown, which is the general consensus by shoemakers and experienced shoe salesmen for interview attire.

Interview attire or not, I meant you don't know what you are talking about in the 3 posts I quoted.


First you said with brown your only option is navy, which is completely wrong. You can wear brown with grey. Also you claim black is more versatile than brown, which is also wrong. Just because it's an "interview" doesn't make brown illegal or something. A grey or navy suit looks better with brown or burgundy shoes than black. I don't know why you think this brown is somehow going to ruin your interview and not get you accepted or something. You should really only wear black shoes with a black suit, and in an interview you should wear grey or navy, making brown or burgundy the best choice. In casual settings brown is even more versatile than black because then you can start using tan colors, etc... Trust me dude, brown is more stylish and the interviewer will probably notice. If you want to be like everybody else and be forgotten in the crowd then go ahead and wear black. Brown or burgundy isn't just one shade and you have many choices. Black is all the same and boring. I don't know why you think you are going to lose points on your interviewer for the color of your shoes.