Men's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Interview attire or not, I meant you don't know what you are talking about in the 3 posts I quoted.


First you said with brown your only option is navy, which is completely wrong. You can wear brown with grey. Also you claim black is more versatile than brown, which is also wrong. Just because it's an "interview" doesn't make brown illegal or something. A grey or navy suit looks better with brown or burgundy shoes than black. I don't know why you think this brown is somehow going to ruin your interview and not get you accepted or something. You should really only wear black shoes with a black suit, and in an interview you should wear grey or navy, making brown or burgundy the best choice. In casual settings brown is even more versatile than black because then you can start using tan colors, etc... Trust me dude, brown is more stylish and the interviewer will probably notice. If you want to be like everybody else and be forgotten in the crowd then go ahead and wear black. Brown or burgundy isn't just one shade and you have many choices. Black is all the same and boring. I don't know why you think you are going to lose points on your interviewer for the color of your shoes.

1. I never said it will ruin your chances.
2. Many people have already established that for formal settings such as the interview, it is best to be conservative vs 'more stylish'
3. If you think that the color of a shoe is what the interviewer will remember you by instead of your application or your conversation/interview with him, then you must be a boring applicant.
4. There are many shades of grey and not all of them look good with brown. The point I was making was that black shoes can be worn on black/grey/navy suits where brown can be worn with navy/grey.
5. And for the record, you thinking brown is better than black is your opinion. that doesnt mean that I dont know what I am talking about. It just means that your perspective is different.
 
1. I never said it will ruin your chances.
2. Many people have already established that for formal settings such as the interview, it is best to be conservative vs 'more stylish'
3. If you think that the color of a shoe is what the interviewer will remember you by instead of your application or your conversation/interview with him, then you must be a boring applicant.
4. There are many shades of grey and not all of them look good with brown. The point I was making was that black shoes can be worn on black/grey/navy suits where brown can be worn with navy/grey.
5. And for the record, you thinking brown is better than black is your opinion. that doesnt mean that I dont know what I am talking about. It just means that your perspective is different.

You know what, in honor of this ridiculous debate I'm wearing brown shoes to my next interview. Cool & Tough
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1. I never said it will ruin your chances.
2. Many people have already established that for formal settings such as the interview, it is best to be conservative vs 'more stylish'
3. If you think that the color of a shoe is what the interviewer will remember you by instead of your application or your conversation/interview with him, then you must be a boring applicant.
4. There are many shades of grey and not all of them look good with brown. The point I was making was that black shoes can be worn on black/grey/navy suits where brown can be worn with navy/grey.
5. And for the record, you thinking brown is better than black is your opinion. that doesnt mean that I dont know what I am talking about. It just means that your perspective is different.

Black suits are rarely worn. Why would you invest in a shoe color that is only going to look good in one particular suit (black).

Brown shoes can also work with darker grays like charcoal if you get a darker chocolate brown or better yet a dark burgundy. Plus brown looks better with navy, blue, tan, and gray suits.

Brown shoes are also awesome for rocking year round instead of just formal occasions. We have to dress business casual at my school and I have never once worn black shoes.
 
First you said with brown your only option is navy, which is completely wrong. You can wear brown with grey. Also you claim black is more versatile than brown, which is also wrong. Just because it's an "interview" doesn't make brown illegal or something. A grey or navy suit looks better with brown or burgundy shoes than black. I don't know why you think this brown is somehow going to ruin your interview and not get you accepted or something. You should really only wear black shoes with a black suit, and in an interview you should wear grey or navy, making brown or burgundy the best choice. In casual settings brown is even more versatile than black because then you can start using tan colors, etc... Trust me dude, brown is more stylish and the interviewer will probably notice. If you want to be like everybody else and be forgotten in the crowd then go ahead and wear black. Brown or burgundy isn't just one shade and you have many choices. Black is all the same and boring. I don't know why you think you are going to lose points on your interviewer for the color of your shoes.

Why is this silly debate still going? It's been definitively resolved several times. See:

This is not true. Black shoes are more appropriate than brown with dark solid suits. In my opinion, black looks better than brown with all values of grey, but most sartorials prefer to wear the more exciting brown with medium to dove greys. Brown shoes are more appropriate with lighter solids/patterned suits and odd jackets and trousers.

And by the same person, again:

Balmorals of any kind--black or brown--should not be worn without at least an odd jacket, unless you're going for some hipster look. In fact, you're not supposed to wear balmorals with anything less than a suit. Without a jacket, you could get away with a casual blucher like a longwing, but that is as far as I'd recommend.

If you're not wearing tailored clothing on a frequent basis, you shouldn't be wearing dress shoes on a frequent basis, and if an investment will be made, make it in a black cap toe.

To sum up:

Black cap-toe balmorals are the standard for interview wear. They go well with the charcoal and navy suits that you should be wearing. This talk of the 'versatility' of brown shoes is misleading, for several reasons -- not the least of which that you should not be wearing the same shoes for a medical school interview that you wear with your business casual outfits, or one of the two is going to look silly. Further, brown dress shoes typically do not look particularly good with charcoal suits.

This is all supposed to be advice for the novitiate - all fashion rules, of course, can be broken, but in order for someone to do that well, they have to know and understand the rules first.
 
Why is this silly debate still going? It's been definitively resolved several times. See:



And by the same person, again:



To sum up:

Black cap-toe balmorals are the standard for interview wear. They go well with the charcoal and navy suits that you should be wearing. This talk of the 'versatility' of brown shoes is misleading, for several reasons -- not the least of which that you should not be wearing the same shoes for a medical school interview that you wear with your business casual outfits, or one of the two is going to look silly. Further, brown dress shoes typically do not look particularly good with charcoal suits.

This is all supposed to be advice for the novitiate - all fashion rules, of course, can be broken, but in order for someone to do that well, they have to know and understand the rules first.

👍👍👍👍👍
 
Why is this silly debate still going? It's been definitively resolved several times. See:



And by the same person, again:



To sum up:

Black cap-toe balmorals are the standard for interview wear. They go well with the charcoal and navy suits that you should be wearing. This talk of the 'versatility' of brown shoes is misleading, for several reasons -- not the least of which that you should not be wearing the same shoes for a medical school interview that you wear with your business casual outfits, or one of the two is going to look silly. Further, brown dress shoes typically do not look particularly good with charcoal suits.

This is all supposed to be advice for the novitiate - all fashion rules, of course, can be broken, but in order for someone to do that well, they have to know and understand the rules first.

why are you people so set on the fact that there is some rule to wearing black shoes to an interview? And yes brown does look good with charcoal. Wear black if you want, but there is no secret rules to shoe color for an interview. You people are so uptight. The interviewer is not going to give 2 sh*ts about your shoe color.

being ultra conservative to the interview is boring. A unique personal style is a good thing in the interview. Playing it safe and boring is a good way to be forgotten, both in personality and in dress.

What makes you the expert on medical school interview dress? Dressing professional does NOT mean you have to wear black.
 
why are you people so set on the fact that there is some rule to wearing black shoes to an interview? And yes brown does look good with charcoal. Wear black if you want, but there is no secret rules to shoe color for an interview. You people are so uptight. The interviewer is not going to give 2 sh*ts about your shoe color.

You are being deliberately obtuse, and moving the goalposts, to boot. There are rules (de facto ones, but rules none-the-less) that govern dress codes in all varieties of situations. Would you wear board shorts and a tank top to an interview? Why not? What about to the office? To a formal fundraiser?

These rules, so to speak, are obviously flexible and change somewhat based on what is currently in vogue, but there are certain guidelines that will never be wrong - and these are important to codify for those who truly do not know what to wear.

freshbagels said:
Stick to the basics:
  • tailored (not necessarily expensive) dark suit
  • black or dark brown (non-square toe) dress shoes
  • socks matching your suit (avoids the 'pseudo-boot' look)
  • belt matching your shoes
  • white (or light blue) non-patterned shirt
  • tie in an inoffensive pattern and conservative (i.e., dark) color
 
You are being deliberately obtuse, and moving the goalposts, to boot. There are rules (de facto ones, but rules none-the-less) that govern dress codes in all varieties of situations. Would you wear board shorts and a tank top to an interview? Why not? What about to the office? To a formal fundraiser?

These rules, so to speak, are obviously flexible and change somewhat based on what is currently in vogue, but there are certain guidelines that will never be wrong - and these are important to codify for those who truly do not know what to wear.

oh my god you people are so uptight. You do not have to be this anal. The interviewers want people with character, not some robot. Brown shoes are just as professional as black. Stop giving people bad advice. You shouldn't wear a black suit to an interview ever, so you should also never be wrong with brown shoes. Black shoes should really only go with black suits. Why don't you go spend your day walking around a medical building or law firm and see how they dress.
 
Last edited:
being ultra conservative to the interview is boring. A unique personal style is a good thing in the interview. Playing it safe and boring is a good way to be forgotten, both in personality and in dress.

What makes you the expert on medical school interview dress? Dressing professional does NOT mean you have to wear black.

To respond to your edit: "unique personal style" is nebulous to the point of being meaningless. One can look very sharp in a charcoal suit, white shirt, red tie, and black shoes. In fact, I would argue that wearing a loud piece of clothing (gingham shirt, inappropriate tie, very light shoes) is a way to draw the interviewer's attention to your outfit, rather than your ideas. Your dress should fade to the background - the focus is the applicant.

And I fear you are not parsing what I am saying correctly: a black suit is not suitable wear for an interview. Black shoes and a black belt, however, are the norm. The fact that you don't understand or recognize that makes me question how much experience or knowledge you have about the sartorial guidelines for interviews, medical school or otherwise.
 
You are being deliberately obtuse, and moving the goalposts, to boot. There are rules (de facto ones, but rules none-the-less) that govern dress codes in all varieties of situations. Would you wear board shorts and a tank top to an interview? Why not? What about to the office? To a formal fundraiser?

These rules, so to speak, are obviously flexible and change somewhat based on what is currently in vogue, but there are certain guidelines that will never be wrong - and these are important to codify for those who truly do not know what to wear.

+1

Arbor are you really a girl? Or is your MDapps a red herring?
 
oh my god you people are so uptight. You do not have to be this anal. The interviewers want people with character, not some robot. Brown shoes are just as professional as black. Stop giving people bad advice. You shouldn't wear a black suit to an interview ever, so you should also never be wrong with brown shoes. Black shoes should really only go with black suits. Why don't you go spend your day walking around a medical building or law firm and see how they dress.

You keep repeating this, but it is totally incorrect. Black cap-toes are the default shoe choice for charcoal suits. A casual perusal of google confirms as much:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/255301/charcoal-suit-color-of-shoes
http://charcoalsuit.com/what-to-wear-with-your-charcoal-suit/
http://threads.dappered.com/showthread.php/3775-What-shoes-to-wear-with-a-charcoal-colored-suit
http://www.tomjames.com/the-virtual-tailor/bestshoecolor.asp
http://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-pick-the-right-shoes-for-any-color-suit-2013-7
http://simplerman.com/2013/03/03/suit-shoe-color-coordination/

Obviously - as I have stated multiple times - multiple shoe colors can be worn with your suits, but for the suit novice, black shoes/charcoal suit is never going to be incorrect.
 
You keep repeating this, but it is totally incorrect. Black cap-toes are the default shoe choice for charcoal suits. A casual perusal of google confirms as much:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/255301/charcoal-suit-color-of-shoes
http://charcoalsuit.com/what-to-wear-with-your-charcoal-suit/
http://threads.dappered.com/showthread.php/3775-What-shoes-to-wear-with-a-charcoal-colored-suit
http://www.tomjames.com/the-virtual-tailor/bestshoecolor.asp
http://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-pick-the-right-shoes-for-any-color-suit-2013-7
http://simplerman.com/2013/03/03/suit-shoe-color-coordination/

Obviously - as I have stated multiple times - multiple shoe colors can be worn with your suits, but for the suit novice, black shoes/charcoal suit is never going to be incorrect.

I guess the main point here is, if you are absolutely clueless about having any sense of style, then yes black shoes are standard.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You people are beyond helping. Go to a medical school or law firm and see how the people interviewing you dress themselves.
 
I guess the main point here is, if you are absolutely clueless about having any sense of style, then yes black shoes are standard.

black shoes would be incorrect with a beige suit just as brown shoes would be incorrect with a black suit. You wouldn't wear either suit to an interview, so how could either shoe ever be wrong at an interview? It's simple logic bro.
 
You people are beyond helping. Go to a medical school or law firm and see how the people interviewing you dress themselves.

You're coming across as extremely petty and are unlikely to convince anyone participating in or reading this exchange. If you have anything substantive to say, rather than vague, condescending generalities, I'll wait.

In the meanwhile, I encourage others to read through this thread. Many people have posted excellent, concise guidelines, if you skirt around the silly shoe-color slapfights.
 
You people are beyond helping. Go to a medical school or law firm and see how the people interviewing you dress themselves.

That's gratuitous. You keep alternating between saying "it doesn't matter" and "what you're saying is totally awful". I don't understand why this is such a sensitive subject for you.
 
You're coming across as extremely petty and are unlikely to convince anyone participating in or reading this exchange. If you have anything substantive to say, rather than vague, condescending generalities, I'll wait.

In the meanwhile, I encourage others to read through this thread. Many people have posted excellent, concise guidelines, if you skirt around the silly shoe-color slapfights.

dude, at an interview you have 3 options for suits: charcoal, grey, or navy. You can wear either black or brown shoes with all 3. There is no wrong choice. I don't know how you guys got the stick shoved so far up there.
 
dude, at an interview you have 3 options for suits: charcoal, grey, or navy. You can wear either black or brown shoes with all 3. There is no wrong choice. I don't know how you guys got the stick shoved so far up there.

Brown with charcoal? Are you flippin crazy? Thats an entirely baffling idea.

Its all about the black shoes. Go black or go home, or so I heard.
 
Brown with charcoal? Are you flippin crazy? Thats an entirely baffling idea.

Its all about the black shoes. Go black or go home, or so I heard.

Henry-Herbert-Tailors-Charcoal-Grey-Suit.jpg


navy-and-brown.jpg
 
for me? you are the ones trying to ban colors

No way man, the only issue I had from the beginning was that other posters were stating that you were only permitted to wear black shoes if you get elected president and are giving a speech at a formal function, but then only if that function happens to be a wedding or funeral.

I'm glad we all agree that that is excessive. As opposed to banning anything, I was just reacting to the strange antipathy I noticed towards black shoes, which I thought was a little much.

I have brown shoes, I wear brown shoes, I love brown shoes. I have nothing against them whatsoever. I was just kind of shocked to hear somebody say that black shoes were off limits for interviews. I think most of us agree, more or less.
 
To respond to your edit: "unique personal style" is nebulous to the point of being meaningless. One can look very sharp in a charcoal suit, white shirt, red tie, and black shoes. In fact, I would argue that wearing a loud piece of clothing (gingham shirt, inappropriate tie, very light shoes) is a way to draw the interviewer's attention to your outfit, rather than your ideas. Your dress should fade to the background - the focus is the applicant.

And I fear you are not parsing what I am saying correctly: a black suit is not suitable wear for an interview. Black shoes and a black belt, however, are the norm. The fact that you don't understand or recognize that makes me question how much experience or knowledge you have about the sartorial guidelines for interviews, medical school or otherwise.

👍👍

You keep repeating this, but it is totally incorrect. Black cap-toes are the default shoe choice for charcoal suits. A casual perusal of google confirms as much:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/255301/charcoal-suit-color-of-shoes
http://charcoalsuit.com/what-to-wear-with-your-charcoal-suit/
http://threads.dappered.com/showthread.php/3775-What-shoes-to-wear-with-a-charcoal-colored-suit
http://www.tomjames.com/the-virtual-tailor/bestshoecolor.asp
http://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-pick-the-right-shoes-for-any-color-suit-2013-7
http://simplerman.com/2013/03/03/suit-shoe-color-coordination/

Obviously - as I have stated multiple times - multiple shoe colors can be worn with your suits, but for the suit novice, black shoes/charcoal suit is never going to be incorrect.

Nice evidence!

I guess the main point here is, if you are absolutely clueless about having any sense of style, then yes black shoes are standard.

So if the large majority wear black shoes, then someone who follows the norm must be "absolutely clueless" or has no "sense of style"?
 
I was just kind of shocked to hear somebody say that black shoes were off limits for interviews. I think most of us agree, more or less.

I agree, I was also kind of shocked to hear people saying brown is off limits. It's really simple, if you follow the rule of never wearing a black suit to an interview, then you can't go wrong with shoe color. Your only options for suit colors are charcoal, grey, or navy, and you can wear either color with them. Black also only has one shade, where as brown gives you multiple options including redder/burgundy/oxblood colors. I'm simply disagreeing with the people saying you have to wear black shoes to an interview.
 
I agree, I was also kind of shocked to hear people saying brown is off limits. It's really simple, if you follow the rule of never wearing a black suit to an interview, then you can't go wrong with shoe color. Your only options for suit colors are charcoal, grey, or navy, and you can wear either color with them. Black also only has one shade, where as brown gives you multiple options including redder/burgundy/oxblood colors. I'm simply disagreeing with the people saying you have to wear black shoes to an interview.

I can see why it might have come across otherwise, but I definitely never meant to imply that brown was off limits. Things get lost in SDN translation pretty easily it seems.
 
I agree, I was also kind of shocked to hear people saying brown is off limits. It's really simple, if you follow the rule of never wearing a black suit to an interview, then you can't go wrong with shoe color. Your only options for suit colors are charcoal, grey, or navy, and you can wear either color with them. Black also only has one shade, where as brown gives you multiple options including redder/burgundy/oxblood colors. I'm simply disagreeing with the people saying you have to wear black shoes to an interview.

No one was saying this. To make this easier to understand: myself (and others) were simply stating that black shoes look better with charcoal suits (and should be considered the default choice), while brown ones (in their variety of shades and tones) look better with navy suits. Simply, black shoes can never be wrong in an interview setting, even if other colors can be right. This was pushback against the ludicrous claim that black shoes only look good with black suits (???) or are only appropriate for very formal occasions (?????).
 
👍👍



Nice evidence!



So if the large majority wear black shoes, then someone who follows the norm must be "absolutely clueless" or has no "sense of style"?

Who is this majority? The people on styleforum? There is nothing wrong with black shoes. I have a pair in my closet for when they are needed. That however is almost nil. The whole point of breaking away from a black suit is that you can diversify the rest of your attire. Brown shoes are going to get the most wear for any business attire aside from formal events. Brown or dark burgundy colors are optimal for a first pair of shoes because they are an investment that you will use more than 3 or 4 times in your life. I wear my burgundy oxfords on an almost daily basis. I would never wear black shoes on a daily basis.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Brown with charcoal? Are you flippin crazy? Thats an entirely baffling idea.

Its all about the black shoes. Go black or go home, or so I heard.

I haven't worn black shoes or a black suit to an interview in probably 8 years. And that's consulting, research spots, med school.

Also balmorals and the park aves are standard, but PAs are ugly in my opinion. I wore sleek wholecuts and wingtips to all my med school interviews. One interview was just talking about suits and shoes for 30 mins. Accepted. :naughty:
 
No one was saying this. To make this easier to understand: myself (and others) were simply stating that black shoes look better with charcoal suits (and should be considered the default choice), while brown ones (in their variety of shades and tones) look better with navy suits. Simply, black shoes can never be wrong in an interview setting, even if other colors can be right. This was pushback against the ludicrous claim that black shoes only look good with black suits (???) or are only appropriate for very formal occasions (?????).

i don't think one is better with either color, but obviously I prefer brown and somewhat agree with the second bolded part. Just my taste i guess
 
I've already said my piece on shoe color, but I'd also like to make one more point. Black shoes are not boring. They are conservative dress and don't develop patina, but a black shoe on a sleek last trumps a brown shoe on a blobby one all day, everyday. Case in point, a gaziano&girling black oxford versus a brown park avenue:

oxford_black_mh71_9_1024x1024.jpg

AEparkavenue1.jpg
 
I've already said my piece on shoe color, but I'd also like to make one more point. Black shoes are not boring. They are conservative dress and don't develop patina, but a black shoe on a sleek last trumps a brown shoe on a blobby one all day, everyday. Case in point, a gaziano&girling black oxford versus a brown park avenue:

oxford_black_mh71_9_1024x1024.jpg

AEparkavenue1.jpg

why? and why square toes? why can't the brown be a sleek last?
 
I haven't worn black shoes or a black suit to an interview in probably 8 years. And that's consulting, research spots, med school.

Also balmorals and the park aves are standard, but PAs are ugly in my opinion. I wore sleek wholecuts and wingtips to all my med school interviews. One interview was just talking about suits and shoes for 30 mins. Accepted. :naughty:

and there you go. Again, I suggest for some people to actually walk around in a professional setting and pay attention to how people dress.
 
why? and why square toes? why can't the brown be a sleek last?
The G&G is on a chiseled toe last, which is separate from a square toe last i.e. bicycle shoe. Chisel toes have much more taper (more like a triangle with its tip cut off).

The brown can be on a sleek last, too. I just wanted to make the point that there's more to how "exciting" a shoe is than color.
 
The G&G is on a chiseled toe last, which is separate from a square toe last i.e. bicycle shoe. Chisel toes have much more taper (more like a triangle with its tip cut off).

The brown can be on a sleek last, too. I just wanted to make the point that there's more to how "exciting" a shoe is than color.

you were still trying to argue that black somehow trumps brown, which is just completely wrong.
 
I've already said my piece on shoe color, but I'd also like to make one more point. Black shoes are not boring. They are conservative dress and don't develop patina, but a black shoe on a sleek last trumps a brown shoe on a blobby one all day, everyday. Case in point, a gaziano&girling black oxford versus a brown park avenue:

oxford_black_mh71_9_1024x1024.jpg

AEparkavenue1.jpg

Burgundy is better than both

IMG_2895_zps5ee4e65d.jpg
 
you were still trying to argue that black somehow trumps brown, which is just completely wrong.
Not in aforementioned post.

I do think black is better suited for dark solids, however, as do most sartorialists. Brown shoes contrast too heavily, especially when buttons are black and when braces are used. Brown works fine, but is less ideal. You also have more leeway with navy than charcoal. Again, no rules in menswear is hard and fast, but these are this is the typical line of thinking.

That being said, I plan on wearing dark brown straight tips to my interviews. I wear odd jackets quite a bit so I get more mileage out of brown/cherry/burgundy, so all my shoe purchases have been in those colors. I don't like Allen Edmonds, and don't want to spend $500 bucks on shoes I'll only wear with a suit.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Who exactly are you trying to caricature, here? No one has recommended a black suit. Are you just trying to be funny? How childish this thread has become.

Im just fooling around, why do you care? Let me let you in on a little secret. 70% of people at interviews look absolutely clueless on how to dress, so if you show up in a less than par suit you aren't going to stand out. This doesn't mean that people who actually want to show a good sense of style in their interview shouldn't be allowed to, which is why going around saying black shoes are the standard has no basis. Brown shoes are completely fine for an interview setting, and will probably help you stand out in a good way. Trust me, I see interviewees every Thursday at my school, and the only ones I ever notice out of the crowd of black and charcoal suits are the ones with a little bit of diversity to their outfit.

Take it how you want it, but don't go around telling people "rules" for interview attire, when you probably haven't spent much time in a medical school setting.
 
Who is this majority? The people on styleforum? There is nothing wrong with black shoes. I have a pair in my closet for when they are needed. That however is almost nil. The whole point of breaking away from a black suit is that you can diversify the rest of your attire. Brown shoes are going to get the most wear for any business attire aside from formal events. Brown or dark burgundy colors are optimal for a first pair of shoes because they are an investment that you will use more than 3 or 4 times in your life. I wear my burgundy oxfords on an almost daily basis. I would never wear black shoes on a daily basis.

Most of the people I interviewed with wore black shoes, including most of the faculty and both my interviewers. So if we are basing this on simply the majority of professionals as Arbor advised, I guess I would say black.

The med students who wore khakhis and button down shirts wore brown oxfords. And I would wear them too. I prefer brown/burgundy for everyday use, but since an interview is a formal occasion, I just thought it best to go with what has been the standard for decades.



you were still trying to argue that black somehow trumps brown, which is just completely wrong.

How is he wrong? He says that black is more ideal than brown. Its his OPINION, and as such arent validated by right or wrong.
 
Take it how you want it, but don't go around telling people "rules" for interview attire, when you probably haven't spent much time in a medical school setting.

Let me quote myself, in response to the exact same claim that was made by another poster on the previous page:

You are being deliberately obtuse, and moving the goalposts, to boot. There are rules (de facto ones, but rules none-the-less) that govern dress codes in all varieties of situations. Would you wear board shorts and a tank top to an interview? Why not? What about to the office? To a formal fundraiser?

These rules, so to speak, are obviously flexible and change somewhat based on what is currently in vogue, but there are certain guidelines that will never be wrong - and these are important to codify for those who truly do not know what to wear.