Men's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
If I am exceedingly handsome, do the little details really matter?

Two questions:

1) How good quality does a suit need to be? Does it look bad to be wearing anything that didn't cost at least a grand in total, or would a pair of $30 slacks and a $70 sport coat work just as well?

2) For multi-day interviews, does it look bad to be wearing the same dress shirt and slacks each day?

Two questions:

1) How good quality does a suit need to be? Does it look bad to be wearing anything that didn't cost at least a grand in total, or would a pair of $30 slacks and a $70 sport coat work just as well?

2) For multi-day interviews, does it look bad to be wearing the same dress shirt and slacks each day?

you dont have to buy a very expensive brand suit.

What matters is how well the suit fits you. I would get something comfortable and durable ( atleast super 100s material)

On the other hand, a $30 pair of slacks doesnt sound like it would be good material. Find a good moderate.

Sports coats are never a good idea.

IDK about multi-day interviews. hopefully someone will advise you on it.

Two questions:

I wouldn't recommend it. Spend the $200 (or whatever) and get a suit. From all the time and money you spend on the application process it is not that much relative wise. Also, if you are accepted then you will for sure being using those clothing items on a regular basis.

you dont have to buy a very expensive brand suit.

What matters is how well the suit fits you. I would get something comfortable and durable ( atleast super 100s material)

On the other hand, a $30 pair of slacks doesnt sound like it would be good material. Find a good moderate.

Sports coats are never a good idea.

IDK about multi-day interviews. hopefully someone will advise you on it.

I meant a suit jacket. I wasn't aware there was a difference between the two until I did a google search just now.

I meant a suit jacket. I wasn't aware there was a difference between the two until I did a google search just now.

Just to be clear, you should wear a suit that was sold as one piece, not a jacket and pants that you purchased separately. You don't need to spend a thousand bucks but you should probably spend well over $100. You can find perfectly serviceable suits for $300-500, if you shop smart. The most important thing is to get it tailored properly; a well-fitting, cheaper suit looks much better than a baggy, expensive one. Charcoal, Grey, or Navy. Never black.

Also, I think you'd definitely stick out if you wore the exact same shirt and pants every single day for any multi-day engagement.

I saw a few people who wore orphaned suit jackets and it looked kind of funny. You want you're coat and pants to match and thats hard to do when you buy them separately.

Just go to macy's and buy a cheap alfani suit, it will probably cost you a little over 200. You will end up wearing it again during medical school for multiple reasons so i wouldn't skimp out on it just to save money.

As far as multi-day interviews. The suit coat and pants can remain the same but I would definitely wear a different shirt. If you only have 1 shirt, then I would at least wear a different tie and make sure the shirt looks ironed and cleaned again the next day.

Don't buy the two pieces separately, as you will likely end up with two different fabrics and that won't look good.

As it's been said plenty of times before, get a cheap suit off the rack (once you find the appropriate jacket size) and have it tailored properly to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not to bring the thread back to the pages of "OMG BLACK" "OMG BROWN" entirely but styleforum has a sizeable UK and European userbase which would skew the "acceptable" shoe color for greys and charcoals to black. 'Merca.

I saw a few people who wore orphaned suit jackets and it looked kind of funny. You want you're coat and pants to match and thats hard to do when you buy them separately.

Just go to macy's and buy a cheap alfani suit, it will probably cost you a little over 200. You will end up wearing it again during medical school for multiple reasons so i wouldn't skimp out on it just to save money.

As far as multi-day interviews. The suit coat and pants can remain the same but I would definitely wear a different shirt. If you only have 1 shirt, then I would at least wear a different tie and make sure the shirt looks ironed and cleaned again the next day.

Don't buy the two pieces separately, as you will likely end up with two different fabrics and that won't look good.

As it's been said plenty of times before, get a cheap suit off the rack (once you find the appropriate jacket size) and have it tailored properly to you.

Thanks guys, I'll do that.

Two questions:

1) If you don't have an interest in tailored menswear, then the answer is not very. You and likely your interviewers will not be able to tell the difference. To the everyman, fit makes a suit look high quality, not lapel roll or handmade buttonholes or hand-picking. In other words, a tailored lower quality suit like Alfani or Boss (<$500) will "look" more expensive than a grail suit like a Brioni or Kiton (>$6k). And if you rarely wear suits, longevity is hardly a concern.

But please invest in a suit. A cheap suit will suffice, and there will be other occasions in the future where you'll need one.

2) If its a solid shirt and you're on a tight budget, then no. But there's hygienics to consider..

How necessary is the suit full suit ? Can we just do the formal (but still nice) slacks, shirt and tie ?

How necessary is the suit full suit ? Can we just do the formal (but still nice) slacks, shirt and tie ?

No jacket, no offer. You'd be better off with a jacket and no tie. Which I rocked for my oral board exam BTW.
Slacks, shirt, and a tie is a good look for the salesmen job at the used car lot interview though.

No jacket, no offer. You'd be better off with a jacket and no tie. Which I rocked for my oral board exam BTW.
Slacks, shirt, and a tie is a good look for the salesmen job at the used car lot interview though.
Agreed. Rule of thumb is the tie comes off before the jacket.

I would strongly suggest investing in a suit, whatever the quality. You are now in your 20s (presumably) and the number of occasions that call for a suit is going to start increasing.

I'm new to this thread. Is the general consensus that black is bad? I'm a bit worried because i've always worn black suit/pants to formal events but I see a lot of posts on navy blue.

Here's my main suit: http://i.imgur.com/e5dY0jz.jpg

I'd probably wear a blue button down as opposed to a black one for med school interviews.

I'm new to this thread. Is the general consensus that black is bad? I'm a bit worried because i've always worn black suit/pants to formal events but I see a lot of posts on navy blue.

Here's my main suit: http://i.imgur.com/e5dY0jz.jpg

I'd probably wear a blue button down as opposed to a black one for med school interviews.
Black is far from ideal, but realistically it's not a big deal. I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of black suits at interviews. In the context of interviews, if you're conforming, you're not doing anything "bad".

I also want to make an unrelated point that the shirt you're wearing is not a button-down. Button-down refers to shirts with buttons on the collar points for "buttoning-down" the points.

Black is far from ideal, but realistically it's not a big deal. I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of black suits at interviews. In the context of interviews, if you're conforming, you're not doing anything "bad".

I also want to make an unrelated point that the shirt you're wearing is not a button-down. Button-down refers to shirts with buttons on the collar points for "buttoning-down" the points.

Oh wow. Thanks! I'm so bad at this T.T

So in otherwords, would a navy blue suit, navy blue pants, and brown shoes look better?

Oh wow. Thanks! I'm so bad at this T.T

So in otherwords, would a navy blue suit, navy blue pants, and brown shoes look better?
A navy or charcoal (dark grey) is the most ideal. Black or brown balmoral (oxfords) are also ideal.

Buy the jacket and trousers as a set--that is the definition of a suit.

Really? What do you call a button-up shirt with collar points that don't button? A "dress shirt", or is there a better name

Button-up != Button-down

I get that a shirt that is fastened by a row of buttons along the front of it does not necessarily have a collar that buttons down. What I'm asking is what you ought to call such a shirt that does not have a button collar. In my usage, I've always understood a distinction between a "button down shirt" (vague term referring to a shirt fastened with buttons with no specifics as to the collar) and a "button down collar".

I get that a shirt that is fastened by a row of buttons along the front of it does not necessarily have a collar that buttons down. What I'm asking is what you ought to call such a shirt that does not have a button collar. In my usage, I've always understood a distinction between a "button down shirt" (vague term referring to a shirt fastened with buttons with no specifics as to the collar) and a "button down collar".

Depends on the collar. There's spread, cutaway, point(probably the most common) and variations of each.

Generally button up refers to a collared shirt with bottom to top buttons (unlike a polo). Button down typically refers to a collar style.

Button down collars tend to be less formal than "straight" collars and aren't advised for suits. You'd be safe just calling a non-button down collared shirt a dress shirt.

Depends on the collar. There's spread, cutaway, point(probably the most common) and variations of each.

Generally button up refers to a collared shirt with bottom to top buttons (unlike a polo). Button down typically refers to a collar style.

Button down collars tend to be less formal than "straight" collars and aren't advised for suits. You'd be safe just calling a non-button down collared shirt a dress shirt.

That middle paragraph is what I was looking for, I was familiar with the rest. Thanks though.

Wow I had no idea the jacket aspect was that important! Tie comes off before the jacket? Did not know that to be the way it works! Your not pulling my leg right? Because I'm about to go purchase a jacket to match and don't have very much $ lol.

Wow I had no idea the jacket aspect was that important! Tie comes off before the jacket? Did not know that to be the way it works! Your not pulling my leg right? Because I'm about to go purchase a jacket to match and don't have very much $ lol.

do not buy a jacket to match pants you already have in your closet. you can buy a suit that will work for interviews for around $200. it's a necessary expense.

also, don't interpret IlDestriero's post as evidence you can go to an interview without a tie on. ties are $20 and you need one of those, too.

do not buy a jacket to match pants you already have in your closet. you can buy a suit that will work for interviews for around $200. it's a necessary expense.

also, don't interpret IlDestriero's post as evidence you can go to an interview without a tie on. ties are $20 and you need one of those, too.

Full Suit. check. Anything else?

To clarify, matching in the sense that you need to have a brown belt on if you are wearing brown shoes.

They do not have to be matching in the exact same shade, in fact, it would be preferred if they were not, because it often looks tacky.

Whoa whoa enlighten me please more on this concept of shading and "not exactly matching"? Link up some examples from google pics of possoble so I can possibly better understand :thumbup::)

Thanks guys, I really do need all the help I can get. I do have a blue suit bequeathed to me, I need it tailored, significantly, as it doesn't fit well at all. Is that fine ? Or should I purchase a new one. I done have the luxury of extra money right now however.

Also what colors / combinations (too not look so drab and to stand out a bit from the standard black on black) go well on Latino men with a nice tanned / light brown skin color.?

What does everyone think about accessories during the interview day itself? I.e I know that we'll inevitably get lots of papers/handouts and also want a legal pad to jot questions/notes.. Nice leather messenger bag? folder? Hire an assistant to walk behind and carry our sh**? fanny pack? The possibilities are endless.

Not that I wasn't thoroughly enjoying the whole brown/black shoe situation :)

Thanks guys, I really do need all the help I can get. I do have a blue suit bequeathed to me, I need it tailored, significantly, as it doesn't fit well at all. Is that fine ? Or should I purchase a new one. I done have the luxury of extra money right now however.

Also what colors / combinations (too not look so drab and to stand out a bit from the standard black on black) go well on Latino men with a nice tanned / light brown skin color.?

Black on black is only 'standard' at clubs --

And Latino men should *not* try to stand out by their dress as it will send the wrong message. The right message is "I fit in here" which means navy suit, white or light blue shirt, nice tie. There are several wrong messages, some of which are more harmful than others. 'Poor and unsophisticated' is one of the least harmful bad messages for minorities because they already know you're smart and upwardly mobile. (You can learn how to dress later.) 'Dangerous' (ie black on black, visibly super-expensive, or aggressively stylish 'drug money' suit) would be one of the worst wrong messages.

Go for 'safe' 1cor1311 -- even if it is boring.

What alterations need to be done? If its just sleeves, hemming, or waist suppression/letting out that needs to be done, tailoring should be under $100. If the jacket's shoulders/chest or pants's seats need to be altered, we're talking closer to $200.

Thanks guys! So much i really apprectiate it. I'm going shopping for a suit this afternoon. I usually fit well in the slim fit , it looks much better on me compared to the strait Fit. I think I wanna definitely do navy suit. What do u guys think about brown shoes / belt with the navy suit gettup?

Something like this, although this guy is African American and I a lighter skin Hispanic on the brown scale:)
navy-suit-brown-shoes.jpg

Ok my skin tone is more like this guys. What would be some good combinations for someone with a skin color and body build like this guy .
64830.jpg

Ok my skin tone is more like this guys. What would be some good combinations for someone with a skin color and body build like this guy .
64830.jpg

When you're tan most colors will suit you fine. If you're really really trying to flatter your skin tone I would keep you dress shirts in the warmer tones,maybe stay away from reds tho. I still think tans look damn good with some light blues and purples. **** wear what Christiano is wearing he looks hot but maybe that's just him

Best suit, tie, shirt and shoe colour for pale colored people?

Sent from my SGH-T889V using Tapatalk 2

Best suit, tie, shirt and shoe colour for pale colored people?

Sent from my SGH-T889V using Tapatalk 2

The darker you go the more pale you'll look but if you go too light you'll look blah like oatmeal. Judging by your handle you're asian so you have warm undertones no matter how pale you are. Trust me I'm a pale asian as well.

Actually here for shirt colors, you're warm. http://artofstyle.hucklebury.com/the-right-colors-for-your-skin-tone/

In terms of suits I would go with the charcoal or gray since black will wash you out and navy might make you look green. Pick a tie that'll go with the shirt, then shoes that'll go with all that. When in doubt black shoes if your whole outfit is pale go with brown shoes. Also if you have softer features and not rugged go with charcoal not gray, you run the risk of looking pretty. Unless you're cool with that.

That being said I wear black all the time but I usually warm up my face with make up. I don't know if that's your thing though

Last edited:
The darker you go the more pale you'll look but if you go too light you'll look blah like oatmeal. Judging by your handle you're asian so you have warm undertones no matter how pale you are. Trust me I'm a pale asian as well.

Actually here for shirt colors, you're warm. http://artofstyle.hucklebury.com/the-right-colors-for-your-skin-tone/

In terms of suits I would go with the charcoal or gray since black will wash you out and navy might make you look green. Pick a tie that'll go with the shirt, then shoes that'll go with all that. When in doubt black shoes if your whole outfit is pale go with brown shoes. Also if you have softer features and not rugged go with charcoal not gray, you run the risk of looking pretty. Unless you're cool with that.

That being said I wear black all the time but I usually warm up my face with make up. I don't know if that's your thing though

Men aren't supposed to wear black to interviews. What exactly is wrong with grey?

Thanks guys! So much i really apprectiate it. I'm going shopping for a suit this afternoon. I usually fit well in the slim fit , it looks much better on me compared to the strait Fit. I think I wanna definitely do navy suit. What do u guys think about brown shoes / belt with the navy suit gettup?

Something like this, although this guy is African American and I a lighter skin Hispanic on the brown scale:)

*SNIP* Super slim navy suit picture *SNIP*

It is a decent looking suit but it's VERY contemporary/fashiony. The pants have a pretty dramatic cuff showing ankle while standing which I wouldn't say is appropriate for a medical school interview. Coat is too narrow. Yadda yadda yadda. The problem with buying a very slim suit like that navy one you linked is they tend to go in and out of style whereas something a little more traditionally cut is going to stay wearable. This does not mean I'm saying get a boxy Mens Wearhouse wholesale suit (been there 3 times and never gotten a great fitting done, maybe it's my bad luck). I just wouldn't advise getting something so "fashionable" as your first suit.

_8102180.jpg

Here's some decent advice for buying off the rack: http://dappered.com/2011/02/the-suit-fit-priority-guide/

Above all else, shoulders should fit off the rack. The tailoring costs to fix ill-fitting shoulders is pretty prohibitive.

Men aren't supposed to wear black to interviews. What exactly is wrong with grey?

Reread the post. Ygg recommended charcoal or grey and said to stay away from black.

Last edited:

navy-suit-brown-shoes.jpg

You want a suit that is fitted. This, my friend, is a suit that is too small in nearly all accounts: shoulders too small causing divots, jacket too short making his hips look womanly, sleeves too short, and negative break of the pants. This type of cut is more on the side of fashionista Thom Browne rather than fashion-forward Neapolitan and should be avoided.