Men's Interview Clothing Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a general consensus on watches? I'm not really into jewelry.

Then don't buy a jewelry watch with diamonds and sapphires and hearts. If you ever change your mind, you can always buy a Bedazzler later.

isc-bedazzler-updated.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Is there a general consensus on watches? I'm not really into jewelry.
Some people (*cough* captainnerd *cough*) will insist that you have to have a leather band with your watch if you're wearing it with a suit. But he's shown time and time again he's a bit more particular about that than most of our interviewers ever will be. I wore the same metallic watch during my interview that I wear every day.

A watch isn't required, but I never like being without one anyway. Its so much more convenient than taking out your phone to check the time.

I'm not a watch snob or anything, but metal watches tend to be sport watches. A lot of them are dive watches, like the Rolexes, Doxa's, etc. Dress/formal watches are typically smaller, but not necessarily with a leather strap, and more discreet. If it's the size of a manhole cover you probably shouldn't wear it with a suit, since it will catch on your shirtsleeve or your coat (hence the small/discreet thing).

As far as facial hair goes, since another poster was asking, I don't think a neatly-trimmed beard is a problem. Don't you submit a passport photo with your application anyway, so they have a vague idea of what you look like, right? The same advice that goes for suits goes for facial hair - conservative. Conservative and neatly trimmed is preferable to out-of-control scruff. Neatly-trimmed beard is most likely okay, 3/4 or full sideburns are probably okay, mutton chops or the "Lemmy" are probably not okay. You get one first impression, may as well put your best foot forward.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some people (*cough* captainnerd *cough*) will insist that you have to have a leather band with your watch if you're wearing it with a suit. But he's shown time and time again he's a bit more particular about that than most of our interviewers ever will be. I wore the same metallic watch during my interview that I wear every day.

A watch isn't required, but I never like being without one anyway. Its so much more convenient than taking out your phone to check the time.

No, I believe I said that for the purpose of an interview, it is important that you wear a watch. Even a rubber one.

But if you don't currently own one and you need to go out and buy one, you might as well buy a leather banded watch.

I would recommend a cloth Nato strap before a metal band. This is partly because of the nature of metal bands and partly because for the purpose of simplifying advice, metal bands are incredibly ugly and the metal watchband industry/market makes complete crap. This is because metal bands sold in the market that is affordable for the people in this age range/price range must also appeal to the tastes of the people in said age range. In the end, metal bands look ugly as a result of market forces.

Hank Paulson, who in my opinion is a complete s#ithead, wears a rubber watch. For the purpose of the interview, a rubber watch makes you better than a watch-less person. But a rubber watch says you do not care about how you do business. In the end, a guy with a rubber watch may mistakenly believe that three pages of legislation is sufficient to bail out an entire banking industry on the verge of collapse. Don't make that mistake. If you're interviewing for med school, a rubber watch won't make a huge difference. If you're interviewing for a residency or partnership at a law firm, you better have a leather watch.

Btw, I am currently a first year optometry student and there's a motif that professors tell us about this new upcoming young generation. They can't stand us. They can't stand the way we talk, the way we dress, the way we can't read cursive, the way we type emails, our sense of entitlement, and our manners. It is my newfound opinion that acting like an old person may help you at interviews. Wear a conservative suit, brown shoes, brown belt, brown leather watch, blue tie, clean shaven or conservative facial hair and you'll be okay. And yes, I agree with the professors.

Last edited:
No, I believe I said that for the purpose of an interview, it is important that you wear a watch. Even a rubber one.

But if you don't currently own one and you need to go out and buy one, you might as well buy a leather banded watch.

I've been doing allopathic medical school interviews for about 5 seasons and I've never noticed anyone's watch. I've never really cared, frankly. I don't know of any interviewers who have been overly concerned about what male applicants wear. (Women with too much on display is another story.)egt

There are quite a few strong opinions here and in terms of GQ stylin' that's just fine but don't be anxious about not having the $$ for the kind of clothing and accessories that some people wear for law or business interviews. This is a whole different ballgame.

For a medical school interview? for what possible purpose? to show that you are someone who keeps the time? To show that you know that a watch is an essential part of any interview clothing ensemble? To show that you have good taste? Seriously. Watches are obsolete, nothing more than jewelry now anyway. So we're basically talking about jewelry.

For a medical school interview? for what possible purpose? to show that you are someone who keeps the time? To show that you know that a watch is an essential part of any interview clothing ensemble? To show that you have good taste? Seriously. Watches are obsolete, nothing more than jewelry now anyway. So we're basically talking about jewelry.
lolwut

They are, or on the way to it. Watches were meant to keep time right? We have cell phones now. Computers, etc. It's no hassle checking time when you make a phone call / receive one. In short, watches aren't a necessity to keep time - it's just a habit from a bygone era.

i wouldnt call them obsolete. the technology is condensed, surely. but i think watches will forever stay

anywho i gotta dry clean my suit/shirt/everything tomorrow.

i wouldnt call them obsolete. the technology is condensed, surely. but i think watches will forever stay

Seriously? Comeon man. Before watches, people had pocket watches. Then they realized they could put them on their wrist. Now we have phones that tell time and we use them so ridiculously often that you have constant access to the time. Who here honestly needs a watch to know the time?

In short, watches aren't a necessity to keep time - it's just a habit from a bygone era.

When I went to my senior prom, I pulled out the chair of my date. And no other guy at my table did. Manners are also obsolete.

This is what I mean by the older generation thinking the younger generation has no class. I remember sitting in undergrad and seeing a kid coming in late and carrying one of those collapsible scooters and thinking "c'mon, you're in college now. Put the scooter away!"

Also, who said watches are for only keeping time? If clothes were a matter of covering your genitals, then plain pants and plain shirts would do (just like in Star Trek). If you're completely culture-less, then yes, go everywhere in t-shirts and jeans, be my guess. But if your profession requires that you occasionally have to tell people they're going to die soon, have the decency to dress well and put on a watch. It's not too much to ask for, is it?

I feel like Andy Rooney here.

There are quite a few strong opinions here and in terms of GQ stylin' that's just fine but don't be anxious about not having the $$ for the kind of clothing and accessories that some people wear for law or business interviews. This is a whole different ballgame.

A rubber watch will suffice.

Last edited:

Never dry clean your shirt! The chemicals involved ruin good shirts. Never starch also. And try to dry lean your suit as rarely as possible.

You know what else is obsolete? Vacuum tube amplifiers. But they do sound great.

Members don't see this ad :)
Never dry clean your shirt! The chemicals involved ruin good shirts. Never starch also. And try to dry lean your suit as rarely as possible.

You know what else is obsolete? Vacuum tube amplifiers. But they do sound great.

You try so hard...You ever thought about fashion design instead of Optometry?

No. Have you seen the crap that people wear? That's the result of fashion design. Most of the stuff that are classics were developed when there was no fashion industry.

400_jgosselin_KCSPresse_090713_spl112765_015.jpg

Last edited:
If you're wearing a black suit then the rest of it (tie,shirt) doesn't matter, as you look the same as everyone else. I wore a black suit as I was very nervous about interviews and didn't want to stand out. It would be nice, however, to see more than one interviewee wearing a beige or grey suit. People will notice you and want to talk to you if you stand out, believe me, in interviews you WANT people to notice you, and know who you are. Don't be just another black suit in the crowd like I was.

I, for one, appreciate a guy who can prescribe a good pair of glasses, give me good advice on the frames, and recommend a good tie, and suggest the right kind of knot, those guys are far and few between. I like this guy!

This is what I wore during my interview:

Attachments

• S7000689.JPG
    S7000689.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 294
Looks good. Nice roll on the lapels.

See everyone? Was that so hard?

Now tell everyone where you bought it and how much you paid.

Thanks. You helped me a lot when I applied/interviewed last season. It's now been almost a year (pic from December 2008) and the suit barely fits. Gained about about 15 lbs of lean mass.

The suit is a 38 L (I'm 6 ft), 3 button Versini brand, from Men's Wearhouse. It was $175 on sale, but I believe normal price is $199 so not that expensive. Charcoal gray with no vents. I can't really tell if the fabric is good or if it's good quality, but my guess is, considering the price, it's not that good. Chances are I will need a new suit once I stop/finish weight training/bodybuilding so I'm not too worried if it falls apart.

The pants were tailored to bring in the waist.

When I went to my senior prom, I pulled out the chair of my date. And no other guy at my table did. Manners are also obsolete.

This is what I mean by the older generation thinking the younger generation has no class. I remember sitting in undergrad and seeing a kid coming in late and carrying one of those collapsible scooters and thinking "c'mon, you're in college now. Put the scooter away!"

Also, who said watches are for only keeping time? If clothes were a matter of covering your genitals, then plain pants and plain shirts would do (just like in Star Trek). If you're completely culture-less, then yes, go everywhere in t-shirts and jeans, be my guess. But if your profession requires that you occasionally have to tell people they're going to die soon, have the decency to dress well and put on a watch. It's not too much to ask for, is it?

I honestly don't get you. Manners are a part of acceptable social behavior, and while they do evolve, they don't ever become obsolete. I think greeting people enthusiastically, holding doors open for people, pulling out chairs for people are things that have always existed and will continue to exist even if they become rare. Watches, on the other hand, did not originate as a part of human behavior; you could probably tell me more about where they actually came from. All I'm saying is that I 100% agree with you on your opinions regarding dressing appropriately for an interview. I appreciate class just like you do, although I know a lot less about it. I will pick something that is time tested over anything newly "fashionable". All I'm saying is that wearing / not wearing a watch is not likely to be a major issue when attending a medical school interview. I highly doubt an interviewer will really care about it - it just doesn't have high impact value. If you go wearing a purple shirt, they might not care either, but it's still a major distraction. Regarding watches going obsolete, I think it's fair to say that their practical value has diminished substantially and what remains now is just decorative value. Nothing wrong with that, I just think it means a trend of fewer people wearing watches.

As for your bit about the profession requiring you to tell people that they are going to die soon and it's connection to what you wear, I'm a bit confused. I agree you should dress well; you should look professional because a large part of being a doctor is the perception patients have of you. But again, there is no need to be exceedingly rigid about this. Whether or not a doctor wears a watch is not really a concern for most patients, in my experience. Most doctors I have shadowed do not wear watches. A lot of that is again, because of practical value. Surgeons in the OR all day will not wear watches. Doctors who do simple out-patient procedures also will not wear watches as they need to put on gowns, etc, for things like uteroscopies or colonoscopies. Second, they don't really need them; most docs I've seen have blackberries or something similar and they hardly need a watch to stay on top of things. Lastly, patients will appreciate and listen to their doctor as long as he/she acts and looks like a doctor. This entails many things (professional attire, appearance, attitude) but I highly doubt that wearing a watch should be considered a necessity.

I can however appreciate that there are circumstances when wearing a watch might be a decent thing to do. Perhaps at my wedding I would wear a watch.

You will undoubtedly disagree with me, and I'm not really concerned about it. Anything taken to extremes is lunacy.

I honestly don't get you. Manners are a part of acceptable social behavior, and while they do evolve, they don't ever become obsolete. I think greeting people enthusiastically, holding doors open for people, pulling out chairs for people are things that have always existed and will continue to exist even if they become rare. Watches, on the other hand, did not originate as a part of human behavior; you could probably tell me more about where they actually came from. All I'm saying is that I 100% agree with you on your opinions regarding dressing appropriately for an interview. I appreciate class just like you do, although I know a lot less about it. I will pick something that is time tested over anything newly "fashionable". All I'm saying is that wearing / not wearing a watch is not likely to be a major issue when attending a medical school interview. I highly doubt an interviewer will really care about it - it just doesn't have high impact value. If you go wearing a purple shirt, they might not care either, but it's still a major distraction. Regarding watches going obsolete, I think it's fair to say that their practical value has diminished substantially and what remains now is just decorative value. Nothing wrong with that, I just think it means a trend of fewer people wearing watches.

As for your bit about the profession requiring you to tell people that they are going to die soon and it's connection to what you wear, I'm a bit confused. I agree you should dress well; you should look professional because a large part of being a doctor is the perception patients have of you. But again, there is no need to be exceedingly rigid about this. Whether or not a doctor wears a watch is not really a concern for most patients, in my experience. Most doctors I have shadowed do not wear watches. A lot of that is again, because of practical value. Surgeons in the OR all day will not wear watches. Doctors who do simple out-patient procedures also will not wear watches as they need to put on gowns, etc, for things like uteroscopies or colonoscopies. Second, they don't really need them; most docs I've seen have blackberries or something similar and they hardly need a watch to stay on top of things. Lastly, patients will appreciate and listen to their doctor as long as he/she acts and looks like a doctor. This entails many things (professional attire, appearance, attitude) but I highly doubt that wearing a watch should be considered a necessity.

I can however appreciate that there are circumstances when wearing a watch might be a decent thing to do. Perhaps at my wedding I would wear a watch.

You will undoubtedly disagree with me, and I'm not really concerned about it. Anything taken to extremes is lunacy.

Interesting that manners have always existed. I'm sure before chairs were invented, Cavemen were pulling out tree stumps for one another.

I believe manners evolved just like altruism evolved. I rather live with people with manners. At the same time, I think dressing properly also evolved as a matter of having to live with other people. I rather look at pleasant things than ugly things. Give me the option of a blank wall and a wall with a Caravaggio, I would choose to look at the Caravaggio (even if he was a murderer). Give me the option of living in a society with manners and one where manners do not exist, I would choose the former.

The watch is no longer as popular as it once was. But it still separates the men from the boys. Just like pocket square is no longer popular. Or hand made shoes. Or manners.

I'll agree that most doctors in practice don't need to wear a watch because it is an obstacle. But for the interview, I don't think you're expected to look up a person's butt.

But I think in the end, I think our disagreement comes from the idea that you think the material watch is more important than the concept of the watch. Anyone can tell time with a mobile. But the watch says you tell time with class. It is the concept of the importance of time that the watch conveys that is most important. In the end, even a rubber watch will do.

Let's face it. Manners are superfluous. So is a watch. So is good food. If all you need in life are the things that keep you alive — normal food, normal clothes, and surround yourself with people who's concept of manners is to not kill you — then why even have culture? Why develop architecture? Why music? Why humor? Why law? Why art? Why do anything?

Tomorrow during class, I will check to see if each of my professors wear a watch. I will report back.

Last edited:
Thanks. You helped me a lot when I applied/interviewed last season. It's now been almost a year (pic from December 2008) and the suit barely fits. Gained about about 15 lbs of lean mass.

The suit is a 38 L (I'm 6 ft), 3 button Versini brand, from Men's Wearhouse. It was $175 on sale, but I believe normal price is $199 so not that expensive. Charcoal gray with no vents. I can't really tell if the fabric is good or if it's good quality, but my guess is, considering the price, it's not that good. Chances are I will need a new suit once I stop/finish weight training/bodybuilding so I'm not too worried if it falls apart.

The pants were tailored to bring in the waist.

Wow. That's a very good price. I could have sworn it looked like it was custom made. Everything fits properly, cuffs show properly, button position looks good, quarter lengths look good. And the way the lapel rolls so that you button only one button is a very good sign that it at least has some structure to it.

Last edited:
Why develop architecture? Why music? Why humor? Why law? Why art? Why do anything?
I don't know. I studied medicine. Ask Frank O Gehry.

I have a question for you. You have the possibly greatest immunologist ever in front of your desk. How focked in your brains do you have to be, to reject such talent based upon wearing the wrong suit, or showing disdain for your conventional preferences? I take this entire thread as another indicator showing how crappy medical culture in the us is. As for the preferences of elderly colleagues, that is a very viable argument pro-euthanasia in geriatrics, asap.

Interesting that manners have always existed. I'm sure before chairs were invented, Cavemen were pulling out tree stumps for one another.

I believe manners evolved just like altruism evolved. I rather live with people with manners. At the same time, I think dressing properly also evolved as a matter of having to live with other people. I rather look at pleasant things than ugly things. Give me the option of a blank wall and a wall with a Caravaggio, I would choose to look at the Caravaggio (even if he was a murderer). Give me the option of living in a society with manners and one where manners do not exist, I would choose the former.

The watch is no longer as popular as it once was. But it still separates the men from the boys. Just like pocket square is no longer popular. Or hand made shoes. Or manners.

I'll agree that most doctors in practice don't need to wear a watch because it is an obstacle. But for the interview, I don't think you're expected to look up a person's butt.

But I think in the end, I think our disagreement comes from the idea that you think the material watch is more important than the concept of the watch. Anyone can tell time with a mobile. But the watch says you tell time with class. It is the concept of the importance of time that the watch conveys that is most important. In the end, even a rubber watch will do.

Let's face it. Manners are superfluous. So is a watch. So is good food. If all you need in life are the things that keep you alive — normal food, normal clothes, and surround yourself with people who's concept of manners is to not kill you — then why even have culture? Why develop architecture? Why music? Why humor? Why law? Why art? Why do anything?

Tomorrow during class, I will check to see if each of my professors wear a watch. I will report back.

Manners / Politeness, etc are a part of human behavior and usually transcend cultural boundaries. Sure, they vary and differ, but every society or culture has some conception of them, and I'm pretty sure that's always been the case. Watches are a material object and probably were invented out of necessity, just like clocks were. So yeah, frankly I think it's stupid to put manners at the same level as material objects. But I do realize that material objects, i.e., proper clothes and things become a part of manners and that they are important. I'm just saying it's *****ic to take that to extremes. Especially on this forum, which is devoted entirely to getting into medical school.

The watch says you can tell time with class. This I guess depends on your definition of class. Class is a pretty subjective idea. What is or isn't classy is debatable. I think I generally would agree with your ideas on what is / isn't classy. I absolutely think it's classy to wear a watch. So what? You're supposed to be professional at your interview, not classy. Who cares. If you're interviewing in an institution where dressing classy might help, then go for it. If I were to interview at a bank, investment club, corporate HQ, political office, I'd probably try to be more classy. Medical schools won't care as long as you are presentable, dressed appropriately and act professionally. That's all.

I am not a utilitarian, although I do tend to focus more on the utility of things. Your problem is you argue at extremes. You ask why we have music, art, architecture, humor etc, when there is clearly no absolute utility for them. However, nobody questioned why they exist, or should continue to exist. And we're totally cool with your fascination and dedication to the art of dressing well. Just don't expect the rest of us to be all giddy about it. Most people here just want to know what will get them through the interview without being considered unprofessional. And I am 99% sure that lack of a watch will not cause any such problems.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is, I like the middle ground. I'm not going to bend over backwards to be considered classy at an interview, when clearly the purpose of the interview is to showcase other talents. However, I would recognize that being classy to some extent would help make the best impression possible.

I found a more recent picture, right before going to a formal. I weighed like 175 lbs so as you can see, it looks a little tight around the chest.

Forgot to mention, the right suit sleeve was also lengthened at a tailor before I went interviewing, so that the cuff length show around the same.

Also, here's a link to the suit. It's on sale again, for $199. Looks like $299 is regular price.

http://www.menswearhouse.com/webapp...051_11159_10601_43767_-1_11159_CHARCOAL_10051

Men's wearhouse has pretty good service, at least the one I went to. The guy spent like 45 mins letting me try different suits/sizes and stuff, to find one that would fit well and require minimal tailoring, and is cheap. Just make sure you tell them what your preferences are, I asked for a slim fitting / european style suit per captainnerd's suggestion.

Attachments

• pic.jpg
    pic.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 215
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:
Well my interview season is about to begin, and I'm glad this thread was here to help me out a bit. I knew nothing when I interviewed for dental school and I barely knew more coming into interviewing for residency/med school.

What this thread hath wrought:

Woo, never worn a watch before:

photo1-1.jpg

Go crappy cell phone pics:

photo2.jpg

This one's just for captainnerd:

photo.jpg

Last edited:
Manners / Politeness, etc are a part of human behavior and usually transcend cultural boundaries. Sure, they vary and differ, but every society or culture has some conception of them, and I'm pretty sure that's always been the case. Watches are a material object and probably were invented out of necessity, just like clocks were. So yeah, frankly I think it's stupid to put manners at the same level as material objects. But I do realize that material objects, i.e., proper clothes and things become a part of manners and that they are important. I'm just saying it's *****ic to take that to extremes. Especially on this forum, which is devoted entirely to getting into medical school.

The watch says you can tell time with class. This I guess depends on your definition of class. Class is a pretty subjective idea. What is or isn't classy is debatable. I think I generally would agree with your ideas on what is / isn't classy. I absolutely think it's classy to wear a watch. So what? You're supposed to be professional at your interview, not classy. Who cares. If you're interviewing in an institution where dressing classy might help, then go for it. If I were to interview at a bank, investment club, corporate HQ, political office, I'd probably try to be more classy. Medical schools won't care as long as you are presentable, dressed appropriately and act professionally. That's all.

I am not a utilitarian, although I do tend to focus more on the utility of things. Your problem is you argue at extremes. You ask why we have music, art, architecture, humor etc, when there is clearly no absolute utility for them. However, nobody questioned why they exist, or should continue to exist. And we're totally cool with your fascination and dedication to the art of dressing well. Just don't expect the rest of us to be all giddy about it. Most people here just want to know what will get them through the interview without being considered unprofessional. And I am 99% sure that lack of a watch will not cause any such problems.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is, I like the middle ground. I'm not going to bend over backwards to be considered classy at an interview, when clearly the purpose of the interview is to showcase other talents. However, I would recognize that being classy to some extent would help make the best impression possible.

What are you basing this "manners are universal" thinking on? Manners are so wildly different from culture to culture that they conflict a great deal of the time. If you want to go by the "concept" of manners, then consider that almost every culture has some sort of body decoration with cultural status significance. Beads, jewelry, tattoos, etc. There is no significant distinction between man-made cultural norms and material norms.

You are right that it won't matter 99% of the time. Although, if you acknowledge that it CAN make a difference a small amount of the time, why not just suck it up and put on a watch? Does it cost you some extreme amount of effort?

I really don't understand this apathy. You are entering the medical profession, which (supposedly) requires a great deal of hard work and discipline. Why would you not put more effort into making yourself presentable, and project an image of competence in all things? The negative response to captainnerd's suggestions, most of which are very reasonable, just boggle my mind.

Armorshell - looks nice. Nice shoes and socks. If I may suggest for the future though, make sure the shoulders fit better on your next suit purchase. Shoulders and chest are the most important, as they are very difficult to tailor. Yours look rather roomy on both counts. Perfectly presentable though - just nitpicking.

Armorshell - looks nice. Nice shoes and socks. If I may suggest for the future though, make sure the shoulders fit better on your next suit purchase. Shoulders and chest are the most important, as they are very difficult to tailor. Yours look rather roomy on both counts. Perfectly presentable though - just nitpicking.

I'll keep it in mind.

Last edited:
I'm no where near interviewing...but anyways, since I have not read this entire thread, what is the rule regarding hair?

Of course nothing crazy, but I am wondering about borderline cases (such as this this)

What are you basing this "manners are universal" thinking on? Manners are so wildly different from culture to culture that they conflict a great deal of the time. If you want to go by the "concept" of manners, then consider that almost every culture has some sort of body decoration with cultural status significance. Beads, jewelry, tattoos, etc. There is no significant distinction between man-made cultural norms and material norms.

You are right that it won't matter 99% of the time. Although, if you acknowledge that it CAN make a difference a small amount of the time, why not just suck it up and put on a watch? Does it cost you some extreme amount of effort?

I really don't understand this apathy. You are entering the medical profession, which (supposedly) requires a great deal of hard work and discipline. Why would you not put more effort into making yourself presentable, and project an image of competence in all things? The negative response to captainnerd's suggestions, most of which are very reasonable, just boggle my mind.

Wow. So you go ahead and make a new name to support your own posts? Whatever. Being competent in looking presentable doesn't mean you HAVE to wear a watch to a med school interview.

Manners vary across cultures but they exist and probably always will. I don't think being polite will ever disappear completely. A few hundred years from now, I won't be surprised if watches no longer exist.

A bit too captainnerdy here. If you want to draw a distinction, you should probably write differently. Otherwise it's too obvious.

I'm no where near interviewing...but anyways, since I have not read this entire thread, what is the rule regarding hair?

Of course nothing crazy, but I am wondering about borderline cases (such as this this)
Hair should obviously be clean and well-groomed. Remember that you're applying for professional school, so as long as it looks acceptable as a professional, you'll be fine.

Wow. So you go ahead and make a new name to support your own posts? Whatever. Being competent in looking presentable doesn't mean you HAVE to wear a watch to a med school interview.

Manners vary across cultures but they exist and probably always will. I don't think being polite will ever disappear completely. A few hundred years from now, I won't be surprised if watches no longer exist.

Join date reading comprehension fail. But for your ease, Ill go ahead and change my entire writing style so my posts and captainnerd's posts don't confuse you in the future.

You did not grasp any of the points made in my post. Read it again. Whether watches exist 2000 years from now is irrelevant. But, whatever. Theres clearly no point trying to debate this with you, as you are set in your naive beliefs.

Join date reading comprehension fail. But for your ease, Ill go ahead and change my entire writing style so my posts and captainnerd's posts don't confuse you in the future.

You did not grasp any of the points made in my post. Read it again. Whether watches exist 2000 years from now is irrelevant. But, whatever. Theres clearly no point trying to debate this with you, as you are set in your naive beliefs.

Why are my beliefs naive? You seem dead set against change or evolution. Things are only defined as classy because they are set in tradition or precedent. Wearing watches is classy because it's something the "older generations" would do. Nowadays, people don't really wear watches, at least not for practical value. So slowly, wearing watches will lose importance. It's like wearing hats. Why does nobody wear bowler hats anymore? It was the thing to do in the 50s and 60s. I still think it's classy, but you wouldn't go to an interview wearing a hat.

Feel free to wear watches, I think it's great and a nice addition to your standard interview outfit. I just don't think it's worth losing any sleep over. I don't think that is too naive.

Also, what do join dates have to do with anything? Just because 2 accounts are set up on different dates doesn't mean they can't be owned by the same person.

A bit too captainnerdy here. If you want to draw a distinction, you should probably write differently. Otherwise it's too obvious.

This is actually too funny. I don't think I've shy'd away from debates in the past.

I'm sorry, what's with the hate on metal watch bands?

rolex-submariner_2.jpg

That's what I wear every day, including to my interviews. It's thin, it's classy and restrained, and it has a brushed steel band. It looks good.

Now here's a classy looking watch with a rubber strap:
breitling-super-avenger-blacksteel-chrono-watch1.jpg

(blegh)

Why are my beliefs naive? You seem dead set against change or evolution. Things are only defined as classy because they are set in tradition or precedent. Wearing watches is classy because it's something the "older generations" would do. Nowadays, people don't really wear watches, at least not for practical value. So slowly, wearing watches will lose importance. It's like wearing hats. Why does nobody wear bowler hats anymore? It was the thing to do in the 50s and 60s. I still think it's classy, but you wouldn't go to an interview wearing a hat.

Feel free to wear watches, I think it's great and a nice addition to your standard interview outfit. I just don't think it's worth losing any sleep over. I don't think that is too naive.

Yes, you caught me. I, captainnerd, set up a new account a year in advance so I could debate watches with you.

Watches are set in tradition. Manners are set in tradition. There is no practical value in watches anymore. There really isn't any practical value in manners anymore. Regardless, that was not the point of my post.

Your hat logic is bewildering, but unsurprising given your other statements.

There is a way to be bold and still be classical. Look at how the british dress. Americans think the Brits dress too flashy. But Brits are classic. Get checks in purple and try gingham in pinks and lavenders. They are bold but still classic.

Also, yellow is an awful color for men's shirts. It is often associated with disease and sweat. Yellow is always hard to pull off.

It is unfortunate Americans don't add more color. And when they do, its obnoxious.

Buy ginghams like this:
yfyf20080529relx4.jpg

Although I would wear something like this to an interview, it is hard to pull off.

:love:

beforetailoringcw8.jpg

I just got back from the tailor. This picture is prior to any alterations, I took it for reference. The tailor will be lengthening the suit sleeve on the right arm so that less cuff will be showing. He will also tighten the waist slightly. The charge was $35, and it will be done in 10 days, in time for my next interview.

Also, am I colorblind, or does this charcoal gray look essentially black?

nice combination - dark color with eye-catching tie

if you go with an eye-catching suit (pinstripe/khaki colored/just different), opt for a dark/conservative tie

Yes, you caught me. I, captainnerd, set up a new account a year in advance so I could debate watches with you.

Watches are set in tradition. Manners are set in tradition. There is no practical value in watches anymore. There really isn't any practical value in manners anymore. Regardless, that was not the point of my post.

Your hat logic is bewildering, but unsurprising given your other statements.

I contest that. I think there is enormous practical value in manners. Manners are still a relevant subset of human behavior to the extent that they are required for one to be socially acceptable. I cannot get very far in life without having some degree of manners. Whether or not one wears a watch will have no such implications in life. Do you dispute this?

Why is my hat argument bewildering? Hats have traditionally been used as fashion accessories. Very similar to the modern conception of watches, wouldn't you say? Why is it that hats are no longer part of formal wear? In fact, you only really seem them in military to denote rank or prestige. 19th century presidents used to wear hats. I seem to remember a photograph of Lincoln wearing a top hat. Who was the last U.S. president to wear a hat? It would appear they sort of went out fashion. However, we do still have hats in casual wear. But you'd be hard pressed to find any politician or lawyer or detective who wears a hat when fifty or sixty years ago it would have been common place. Why is it they were abandoned? Did they lose practical value? I doubt it. It probably has to do with the evolution of fashion. All I'm saying is that I believe watches are subject to similar evolutionary forces, although their fate could be rather different.

I do find it a little surprising that an account set up over a year ago is only now being used. You are, I believe still within your first 10 posts. I would not be surprised if half of them were spent on this thread.

navy pin stripe suit, white shirt, dark red/marroonish tie

its not what you wear guys. keep your head up, back straight and walk proud

navy pin stripe suit, white shirt, dark red/marroonish tie

its not what you wear guys. keep your head up, back straight and walk proud

You can't go wrong with that.:thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.