Men's Interview Clothing Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Black is an awful color for a suit in terms of investment value. The only acceptable place would be a funeral. You can get away with charcoal to a funeral. Black is verboten at weddings unless in tuxedo form. In essence, black is frowned upon because it doesn't match well with other colors. It is morbid. Unless you plan on moving to Japan where black suits are de rigueur, a black suit should never be worn to a business environment.

Brown is an odd jacket color. By "odd jacket" I mean a sport coat (with no matching pants). By "odd jacket" I don't mean "hey, that's an odd color." There is a phrase amongst the well-dressed that goes "brown is for farmer." The color brown lends itself to interesting weaving like herringbone or glen plaid. However, in the form of a suit where the wool is simply worsted weaved, brown is, well, for farmer.

Of all those, the tan seems to be the most acceptable. Yes, before black.

I'm guessing it's a Florida thing?

210841.jpg

Is that Edward James Olmos in black? The man bears a close resemblance to my father. Perhaps the suit color compatability is just genetic?

I wouldn't know all that much about what's really a Florida thing and what's not. People seem to like brighter colors here, what with the heat. Me, not so much lol. I've lived here for about 6 months and am still pretty grounded in a NY state of mind. I went to undergrad right next to NYC's business district and saw a lot of suits passing by. With that said, anything I say here is just personal opinion. I can't claim to be anything even close to a fashion expert, and you may very well know more about what's classically accepted. Now, on to more of my humble opinion.

I disagree about the black thing. Black seems to match everything and fit most occasions. I've never seen a guy in a black suit and thought it looked weird or inappropriate (as long as the suit was in good condition and actually fit). It is, however, VERY overused and kind of boring for that very reason. Before last week, I had one mediocre black suit that got me through literally every formal occasion that popped up including weddings, funerals, a formal party, formal dinners, etc with good compliments. I think if you're part of the main wedding party you should probably be sporting a tux for the occasion, but as one of many guests, a standard black suit would generally suffice unless you're aim is to stand out of the crowd.

As for brown being for farmers, I can see a lot of farmer garb being brown but...I think a farmer would look fairly out of place in a solid, dark brown, fitted suit. It's not like the color brown immediately brings up an image of a farmer with any piece of clothing. In fact, I find that more people think detective or other suit-wearing policeman (not that it helps my case any). I know brown was frowned upon once upon a time in business, but nowadays the only ones that would have a problem are the older gentlemen. Again, I've seen many a man walking down Wall Street wearing them. In the end I really think it's just a matter of pulling it off.

The other thing to consider is that while these suits are for a professional purpose, they are not for a business purpose. The classic "power suit" colors aren't entirely necessary and depending on your personality, may not convey the image you want it to. I'm not a "power suit" guy. I'm not trying to look so much like I'm the leader, but like a unique member of the team.

Finally, I will probably only use 2 of these suits on my interviews since they would at most last 2 days. There's no need to rotate suits when none of the same people will be seeing them consecutively. Thus, at least 2 of them are majorly for casual use. I'm being kind of long winded, so I'll leave it there for now. All in all, I'm set in my color decision, but feel free to respond if you want to continue expressing your opinion to the other people here.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everybody, I just got back from the Men's Warehouse. The suit they picked out was this $399 one matched with a $99 silver gray shirt, $29 brown silver tie, $99 brown Belvedere shoes, a $19 belt, and $19 socks. The total is $704 with tax :eek: It felt kinda gangster though.

My top choice just got back to me and said the interview is Wednesday.
The tailoring can be done by Monday which gives a couple days for final adjustments. Maybe I can shop elsewhere for shoes and get a cheaper shirt. What do you think I should do?

383443CK_F09_DF.jpg

420706BEL_F07_DF.jpg

Hey everybody, I just got back from the Men's Warehouse. The suit they picked out was this $399 one matched with a $99 silver gray shirt, $29 brown silver tie, $99 brown Belvedere shoes, a $19 belt, and $19 socks. The total is $704 with tax :eek: It felt kinda gangster though.

The tailoring can be done by Monday which gives a couple days for final adjustments. Maybe I can shop elsewhere for shoes and get a cheaper shirt. What do you think I should do?

383443CK_F09_DF.jpg

420706BEL_F07_DF.jpg

You already made the purchase? I would go with a white shirt. Silver gray is not good at all. Those shoes are not good investment.

All I know is I would not buy a $100 shirt from Mens Warehouse...

side rant: This kind of purchasing is exactly how the men's shops like MW and Jos Banks suck customers in. They lure you in with a too-good-to-be-true sale on the suit, then get you to spend double your money on (full to overpriced) accessories.

side rant: This kind of purchasing is exactly how the men's shops like MW and Jos Banks suck customers in. They lure you in with a too-good-to-be-true sale on the suit, then get you to spend double your money on (full to overpriced) accessories.
Jos Bank puts just about everything on sale at least 50% off every month. You don't have to purchase everything all at once.

They also have an active clearance portion of their site. I have never paid full price for anything at Jos Bank, and I own quite a bit of stuff from them.

Jos Bank puts just about everything on sale at least 50% off every month. You don't have to purchase everything all at once.

No, they put certain things on sale - like you'll get your suit for 50% off but the shirts and ties are close to full price. They count on the impatient consumer who will buy everything at once.

I can pull off a black suit pretty well. My skin is dark, since I used to spend alot of time in the Sun, for my ethnicity (chinese), but not quite like Filipino dark (not trying to be racist, but I'm sure you get the point). And I feel that most suit colors other than black don't really work well with my skin tone.

No, they put certain things on sale - like you'll get your suit for 50% off but the shirts and ties are close to full price. They count on the impatient consumer who will buy everything at once.
I check their website several times per week. Trust me, everything goes on sale. I didn't say it goes on sale at the same time -- they might have suits one week and dress shirts the next. If you're patient, you'll get it all at least 50% off.

They also have a corporate discount that just about everybody qualifies for. It's 20% off MSRP on full-priced items. You never have to pay full price at Jos Bank

I check their website several times per week. Trust me, everything goes on sale. I didn't say it goes on sale at the same time --

That's exactly my point. They only put certain things on sale at a time, counting on the "one stop shopper" to get lured in by the sale and then fill out their wardrobe on the items that are at full retail.

I know that it is fully possible to get a good deal on a full wardrobe at Jos Banks with patience and smart shopping. My point is that the store counts on the fact that the majority of buyers are not smart shoppers and will get suckered in.

Members don't see this ad :)

Absolutely not. You can get Thomas Pink shirts for that price if you wait for sales, and I can promise the quality is significantly better.

383443CK_F09_DF.jpg

420706BEL_F07_DF.jpg

I don't how the suit fits on you, but those shoes are atrocious. Return. Go on Ebay. Troll for Allen Edmond Park Avenues in black. Buy some shoe polish. Polish shoes.

They also have an active clearance portion of their site. I have never paid full price for anything at Jos Bank, and I own quite a bit of stuff from them.

Good to know.

383443CK_F09_DF.jpg

420706BEL_F07_DF.jpg

Looks good. I'd pass on the $100 shirt and get one at Kohl's for half that.

Wow. I just looked at the clearance section you mentioned, army. There are some crazy deals. Get your shirt there, OP.

I can pull off a black suit pretty well. My skin is dark, since I used to spend alot of time in the Sun, for my ethnicity (chinese), but not quite like Filipino dark (not trying to be racist, but I'm sure you get the point). And I feel that most suit colors other than black don't really work well with my skin tone.

Are you saying black people are confined to black suits? If so, that's the dumbest thing ever:
43b3ca88.jpg

In the end, fit is always more important than color.

While studying in the lounge, I see prospective students who are on campus to interview and it's always funny to see everyone in black suits. And all Asian. In Japan, the black suit is a requirement. Everyone there loves black suits. But in Western countries, black is frowned upon by those in the know.

Last edited:
Are you saying black people are confined to black suits? If so, that's the dumbest thing ever:
43b3ca88.jpg

In the end, fit is always more important than color.

While studying in the lounge, I see prospective students who are on campus to interview and it's always funny to see everyone in black suits. And all Asian. In Japan, the black suit is a requirement. Everyone there loves black suits. But in Western countries, black is frowned upon by those in the know.

I see you're still in here tryin WAY too hard. Black suits are frowned upon "by those in the know." This isn't Fashion Week in New York, so give it a rest. The guy said black suits look good with his dark skin tone, what's so hard to believe about that? Seriously, you are putting way too much thought into a suit...

I see you're still in here tryin WAY too hard. Black suits are frowned upon "by those in the know." This isn't Fashion Week in New York, so give it a rest. The guy said black suits look good with his dark skin tone, what's so hard to believe about that? Seriously, you are putting way too much thought into a suit...

Black is not acceptable for an interview or work. I'm surprised more of you do not know this. It is solely for evening formalwear and funerals.

Captainnerd knows what he's talking about, although some of the presentation is a little out there. You should listen to him. navy/grey/charcoal, light shirt, conservative tie. Make sure it fits well at the shoulders and get the rest taken in by a tailor.

I did interviews for my school for a year, and it was bewildering how many guys walked in with their jacket sleeves hanging over their hands like a glove. You're going to be a professional - dress like one.

Just in case it needs to be heard from another mouth: black is not a good color for interviews / businesswear. Charcoal and navy are your best bets.

I'd also note that while captainnerd and others are right to suggest conservative shirts, there are other shirts that can fall into that category that aren't plain white. Everyone I've seen on the interview trail so far has been wearing a white shirt with a bland tie. Seriously, it gets old. You can throw some color in there without being completely over the top.

Also, invest in a good tie. It shows. The cheap ones rarely hang well.

Black may not be "acceptable" but let me tell you, it is the norm on the interivew trail. If we denied admission to the applicants wearing black suits, we'd barely fill the class.

Ideally, you won't wear black but if it is what you have, no worries.

Black is not acceptable for an interview or work. I'm surprised more of you do not know this. It is solely for evening formalwear and funerals.

Captainnerd knows what he's talking about, although some of the presentation is a little out there. You should listen to him. navy/grey/charcoal, light shirt, conservative tie. Make sure it fits well at the shoulders and get the rest taken in by a tailor.

I did interviews for my school for a year, and it was bewildering how many guys walked in with their jacket sleeves hanging over their hands like a glove. You're going to be a professional - dress like one.

It really is. No one who is interviewing you is going to care.

It really is. No one who is interviewing you is going to care.

A rather broad generalization. What is the point of this whole thread then? Let's delete it. Wear whatever floats your boat.

Here is a simple logical progression for everyone. Captainnerd and several others believe black is taboo and completely unprofessional, and would dock you points in an interview.

Do you believe they are the only ones interested in medicine that have this opinion? Is it not logical that similarly-minded people have entered the profession, and are student or faculty interviewers?

It's that simple. You are gambling that nobody cares, or at least that those who do care magically stop caring when they get into medical school.

A rather broad generalization. What is the point of this whole thread then? Let's delete it. Wear whatever floats your boat.

Here is a simple logical progression for everyone. Captainnerd and several others believe black is taboo and completely unprofessional, and would dock you points in an interview.

Do you believe they are the only ones interested in medicine that have this opinion? Is it not logical that similarly-minded people have entered the profession, and are student or faculty interviewers?

It's that simple. You are gambling that nobody cares, or at least that those who do care magically stop caring when they get into medical school.

Obviously you missed the post right below that one.

Black may not be "acceptable" but let me tell you, it is the norm on the interivew trail. If we denied admission to the applicants wearing black suits, we'd barely fill the class.

Ideally, you won't wear black but if it is what you have, no worries.

Like I said, it isn't Fashion Week. Everyone wears black to everywhere. As long as you look presentable in what you're wearing, then it's good enough for an interview and for work as well...For you to say otherwise gives the impression that you may not get out much. I suggest you stop trying to read the latest issue of GQ magazine and actually look around at everyday people in real life.

Like I said, it isn't Fashion Week. Everyone wears black to everywhere. As long as you look presentable in what you're wearing, then it's good enough for an interview and for work as well...For you to say otherwise gives the impression that you may not get out much. I suggest you stop trying to read the latest issue of GQ magazine and actually look around at everyday people in real life.

Whether or not you like it, what you wear can say a lot about what you're like as a person. Often, people that show attention to detail in what they wear show attention to detail in other aspects of their life. What you wear can also be some indication of your confidence / cockiness level. There was a thread in a residency forum a while back where the point was made that the worst residents are those with no sense and too much confidence; oddly, the same combination makes for some of the worst dressers as well.

Will your interviewer notice all the details? Maybe not. There's also a decent chance that some of them will. In a game where it is already hard to stand out in the crowd, dressing reasonably well is a simple way to do so considering how poorly dressed most interviewees are.

Did you read your quoted post? Ideally you will not wear black?

This has nothing to do with fashion. It is simply accepted convention. I am telling you, with some experience in conducting interviews, how interviewers view black suits. I dont know where you live, but where I've lived/gone to school, pretty much nobody wears black. It's just common sense.

Can I ask if you actually have any experience working in the real world, conducting, or going on interviews? I hope I don't sound condescending, but I can't imagine anyone with a reasonable amount of interview experience would say it's fine and dandy to wear black suits to an interview.

I hope I don't sound condescending, but I can't imagine anyone with a reasonable amount of interview experience would say it's fine and dandy to wear black suits to an interview.

How's this for interview experience: I have seen about 3,000 male interviewees over the past 10 seasons. I tell you, the majority wear black. Those of us in the business laugh at the "funeral procession" but we couldn't hold it against anyone of we wouldn't admit more than a few dozen men each year (and even fewer women).

Did you read your quoted post? Ideally you will not wear black?

This has nothing to do with fashion. It is simply accepted convention. I am telling you, with some experience in conducting interviews, how interviewers view black suits. I dont know where you live, but where I've lived/gone to school, pretty much nobody wears black. It's just common sense.

Can I ask if you actually have any experience working in the real world, conducting, or going on interviews? I hope I don't sound condescending, but I can't imagine anyone with a reasonable amount of interview experience would say it's fine and dandy to wear black suits to an interview.

I've worked in a professional setting for the last 6 years. I live in Southern California. I've been to interviews, I've conducted interviews, I've been to conferences, and then some...I've seen black suits on a constant basis. And like I said, as long as the person in question looked presentable, whether it was a black, brown, navy, or gray suit, it didn't matter.

But here, we're talking about medical school interviews. Do you really think adcoms expect for students(most who've never worked in a professional atmosphere, let alone anywhere for that matter) to know that it is frowned upon to wear black. Really?

And again, you even hear from LizzyM, that a majority of the students interviewed wear black. It's not a fashion crime, relax.

Like my man Wesley Snipes said..."Always bet on black!"

I see you're from Southern California, the capital of imformality. If you're going to be inspired by everyday people in real life, should we all be dumb and lazy? Should we spit and curse? Should we be rude? Crass? In a word, American?

If you're going to be a professional, dress like one. Black is a faux pas. Just because many people don't realize it is a faux pas does not mean it stops being a faux pas.

If sociological studies show that attractive people earn more than their non-attractive counterparts, do you really think humans are above being superficial? And if you're a lover of economics, then maybe proper dress is just as valuable or more so of an indicator than being able to memorize plagiarized answers to general questions? Maybe it isn't superficial at all? Attractive people are also less prone to depression and are generally more successful. Attractive people work better with others. Attractive people have fewer reasons to miss work (fewer bad hair days). If a company is looking after the bottom line, then maybe a mixture of intelligence and attractiveness isn't superficial at all?

You say interview season isn't fashion week. It actually is. Fashion changes with the stupid fashion magazines like GQ and Maxim that young men generally read (and you refer to). The rules don't change. Black is reserved for evening wear. It has been that way for the past 100 years and will be that way for the next 100. Now if you'll just have a bit of intellectual curiosity, maybe you'll learn the rules and do a bit of self improving instead of simply going with what everybody else is doing.

Proper dress isn't fashion. What the young wear today, that is fashion.

The rules of proper dress aren't printed in magazines. If it were, they'd print all the rules in a single issue and then there would be no need for another issue. They rules are passed down generation to generation from people interested in knowing. Just like suiting firms don't advertise, proper dress isn't advertised. It is a secret handshake.

If you think it isn't important, then let me give you another example. After Tony Blair and Gordon Brown(who became Chancellor of Exchequer) (along with the New Labor party) swept into power, the bankers of London threw them a party. The bankers were concerned New Labor would get rid of all the liberal (I mean economically liberal, not politically liberal) policies of the Thatcher era. Gordon Brown decided to wear a business suit. Everyone else wore black formal wear. Gordon Brown was lambasted by the financial media. In fact, to this day, the bankers still remember that. It was simply rude of Brown. Brown was never well liked as Chancellor of Exchequer because he simply didn't seem like he belonged. He simply didn't know the rules. And to the bankers, it came down to how he dressed.

Of course, Jvesco, it doesn't appear you would know anything about recent English politics, does it? (Ironic, since Thatcher came to power after England's own home-mortgage crisis landed the English banks in default and taken over by the IMF. Oh, Americans. If only we knew things).

Maybe being cultured should be a requirement of applicants?

Adcom: "Can you identify these three paintings?" "What is the architectural style of the Cathedral at Notre Dame?" "What's the last book you've read?" "Based on England's home mortgage crisis, what, if anything, were potential signs of our own home mortgage crisis?" "Who makes your suit?"

I think I've said it before and I might as well say it again. If you own a black suit, sure, fine. Wear it to your interview. But if you don't own a suit and you're in the market for a suit, why buy a bad investment?

Last edited:
Btw, "the Rules" aren't difficult. Unfortunately, it is hard to unlearn what has already been learned.

Last edited:
I see you're from Southern California, the capital of imformality. If you're going to be inspired by everyday people in real life, should we all be dumb and lazy? Should we spit and curse? Should we be rude? Crass? In a word, American?

If you're going to be a professional, dress like one. Black is a faux pas. Just because many people don't realize it is a faux pas does not mean it stops being a faux pas.

If sociological studies show that attractive people earn more than their non-attractive counterparts, do you really think humans are above being superficial? And if you're a lover of economics, then maybe proper dress is just as valuable or more so of an indicator than being able to memorize plagiarized answers to general questions? Maybe it isn't superficial at all? Attractive people are also less prone to depression and are generally more successful. Attractive people work better with others. Attractive people have fewer reasons to miss work (fewer bad hair days). If a company is looking after the bottom line, then maybe a mixture of intelligence and attractiveness isn't superficial at all?

You say interview season isn't fashion week. It actually is. Fashion changes with the stupid fashion magazines like GQ and Maxim that young men generally read (and you refer to). The rules don't change. Black is reserved for evening wear. It has been that way for the past 100 years and will be that way for the next 100. Now if you'll just have a bit of intellectual curiosity, maybe you'll learn the rules and do a bit of self improving instead of simply going with what everybody else is doing.

Proper dress isn't fashion. What the young wear today, that is fashion.

The rules of proper dress aren't printed in magazines. If it were, they'd print all the rules in a single issue and then there would be no need for another issue. They rules are passed down generation to generation from people interested in knowing. Just like suiting firms don't advertise, proper dress isn't advertised. It is a secret handshake.

If you think it isn't important, then let me give you another example. After Tony Blair and Gordon Brown(who became Chancellor of Exchequer) (along with the New Labor party) swept into power, the bankers of London threw them a party. The bankers were concerned New Labor would get rid of all the liberal (I mean economically liberal, not politically liberal) policies of the Thatcher era. Gordon Brown decided to wear a business suit. Everyone else wore black formal wear. Gordon Brown was lambasted by the financial media. In fact, to this day, the bankers still remember that. It was simply rude of Brown. Brown was never well liked as Chancellor of Exchequer because he simply didn't seem like he belonged. He simply didn't know the rules. And to the bankers, it came down to how he dressed.

Of course, Jvesco, it doesn't appear you would know anything about recent English politics, does it? (Ironic, since Thatcher came to power after England's own home-mortgage crisis landed the English banks in default and taken over by the IMF. Oh, Americans. If only we knew things).

Maybe being cultured should be a requirement of applicants?

Adcom: "Can you identify these three paintings?" "What is the architectural style of the Cathedral at Notre Dame?" "What's the last book you've read?" "Based on England's home mortgage crisis, what, if anything, were potential signs of our own home mortgage crisis?" "Who makes your suit?"

I think I've said it before and I might as well say it again. If you own a black suit, sure, fine. Wear it to your interview. But if you don't own a suit and you're in the market for a suit, why buy a bad investment?

2dm9lzk.jpg

Wow what an extremely relevant post...

I'm not sure that looking like an odd candidate with a brown pinstripe suit among a sea of black is going to be a very good idea. I've never seen Navy either outside of woman interviewees. Funny you should mention the Gordon Brown story...

I use charcoal myself: not quite so absorbing as black but still serious and black-like enough to not raise suspicions.

That's true. But it's a gamble I'm willing to take. ;)

The debate about black suits reminds me of a favorite quote from my Nutrition professor. "Nobody is arguing about whether or not we should eat salad." So, if you are buying a suit, why wouldn't you buy a (well-tailored) charcoal or navy? You can look professional and stand out from the 15 premeds in baggy black suits.

(And if you already own a black suit, give me a break. You are spending thousands on interviews, not to mention med school tuition. Another $400 for a sharp suit isn't going to break you.)

(And if you already own a black suit, give me a break. You are spending thousands on interviews, not to mention med school tuition. Another $400 for a sharp suit isn't going to break you.)

If you don't have an income and that $400 is debt it's gonna be $1000 by the time you're done w/ schooling.

If you don't have an income and that $400 is debt it's gonna be $1000 by the time you're done w/ schooling.

Even if I take your inflated $1000 price tag, put it in perspective: you're paying several thousand for the whole application process, and then you're paying >$100k on med school. We're talking less than 1% of your total debt.

Get something decent, and it will last a long time. Residency interviews will come sooner than you think, and you'll need a suit for those as well.

I don't necessarily agree that everyone that owns a black suit should go get a new suit. It'd be nice, but I'm realistic. However, at least make sure that whatever suit you have actually fits. Half of the guys I see on the trail look like kids playing dress-up: baggy black suits, cheap ugly ties, and poorly fitting shirts. It doesn't help you to be part of that group.

If I'm looking at two candidates, both with stellar backgrounds, similar experiences, etc, and one is dressed like hell while the other knows how to present himself, you'd better believe that I'm going to choose the second applicant.

I just got this suit for an interview in less than 2 weeks. I was looking for some feedback as to its color and how it should be tailored.

Its a dark charcoal gray,two button suit (the lighting of the room and the camera flash doesn't do it justice). Forgive the jacket's arm length, it is not yet pressed or cut. I haven't tailored the jacket (or the pants) for two reasons: so I have an open canvas to work with and so I don't void the return policy.

The shirt was as close to white I could get that was already in my wardrobe. I WILL go out and get a new white shirt soon.

The tie was hastily done with a four-in-hand knot, hence the rummaged appearance near the knot.
Click the thumbnail for a larger resolution. It goes up to about 2000 pixels in one direction, much too large to post on the thread directly.

Last edited:
I just got this suit for an interview in less than 2 weeks. I was looking for some feedback as to its color and how it should be tailored.

Its a dark charcoal gray,two button suit (the lighting of the room and the camera flash doesn't do it justice). Forgive the jacket's arm length, it is not yet pressed or cut. I haven't tailored the jacket (or the pants) for two reasons: so I have an open canvas to work with and so I don't void the return policy.

The shirt was as close to white I could get that was already in my wardrobe. I WILL go out and get a new white shirt soon.

The tie was hastily done with a four-in-hand knot, hence the rummaged appearance near the knot.
Click the thumbnail for a larger resolution. It goes up to about 2000 pixels in one direction, much too large to post on the thread directly.

Popping in as promised to offer the little advice I can. I like the gray color (mine is also gray, but much lighter), but I'm not sure how I feel about pairing it with that shade of red for the tie. That's just me, though, so if you like it, go for it. Perhaps a deeper, more burgundy shade would be better? I also wore a white shirt, we're almost like suit twins. Except I'm a girl so I went sans tie. As far as the fit: if it's loose anywhere (especially in the top like around the shoulder and midsection), tighten it up, but not too much that you can't comfortably sit/stand/breathe/raise your arms enough to shake hands/walk. Make sure to do all of the above when trying it on once the tailor has put the pins in it. I think that people look especially messy when it looks like they're swimming in a coat. Nobody really wants to know what the contours of your butt look like, so don't make your pants too tight. My sleeves hit halfway between wrist and knuckle (like where that thumb knuckle is, since at least on my hand it's midway on my palm). I felt it was a nice comfortable length. Your sleeves look a teeny bit short, but not like ridiculously short, and plus I've always been one to like really long sleeves (my sweater sleeves eat up my hands and I like it that way), so having mine the length I did was a happy medium for me. Make sure you get the shoes before you do any leg hemming. Estimating the height of the shoes might not be the best idea. That's all I have, I hope I was at least a little bit helpful (without sounding totally pushy or mean).

I agree with Poet's advice, except for one point: I don't think the sleeves are too short. You want the sleeves short enough that your shirt's cuffs stick out a little bit. Depending on who you ask and what kind of cuff you wear, that can be anywhere from 1/4 inch to 3/4 inch (though that's definitely on the long side). I also agree that the red tie doesn't go so well. I'd go with something a little more subdued or something not red.

It's hard to tell from just looking at it, but it looks like it may be a bit baggy in a few areas. Find a decent tailor and they should be able to help you with everything. One last question: are the slacks the same color as the jacket? It's hard to tell with the lightning, but it looks like the bottom is darker than the top.

I agree with Poet's advice, except for one point: I don't think the sleeves are too short. You want the sleeves short enough that your shirt's cuffs stick out a little bit. Depending on who you ask and what kind of cuff you wear, that can be anywhere from 1/4 inch to 3/4 inch (though that's definitely on the long side). I also agree that the red tie doesn't go so well. I'd go with something a little more subdued or something not red.

It's hard to tell from just looking at it, but it looks like it may be a bit baggy in a few areas. Find a decent tailor and they should be able to help you with everything. One last question: are the slacks the same color as the jacket? It's hard to tell with the lightning, but it looks like the bottom is darker than the top.

I had a feeling I was a bit weird when it came to sleeve lengths! I also noticed that the colors looked off, I'm guessing (hoping) that they're the same color in reality because he said it was a suit, and as far as I know these kinds of suits don't come in mix and match separates like 2 piece bathing suits do.

someone please correct me if i'm wrong... but IMHO no one gives a flying S what your suit looks like, or the knot of your tie, or your shoes, or the color of your tie, or the color of your shirt, or the stripes/non-stripes on your suit, or how many buttons your suit has.

just wear a f'ing suit, look neat and conservative, and methinks they care much more about what comes out of your mouth, your sincerity, etc. etc. than what you're wearing.

or am i completely wrong on this?

It's all about fashion and looking sexy during the interview. Don't be so naive people.

I actually got the suit for roughly $200 at a local Men's Warehouse and they have a really good tailor (my dad shops there frequently and always gets what he needs from the tailor). Also, the pants are the same shade as my jacket. I had a light directly above me so the shadow from a loose fitting jacket made my pants look darker.

Popping in as promised to offer the little advice I can. I like the gray color (mine is also gray, but much lighter), but I'm not sure how I feel about pairing it with that shade of red for the tie. That's just me, though, so if you like it, go for it. Perhaps a deeper, more burgundy shade would be better? I also wore a white shirt, we're almost like suit twins. Except I'm a girl so I went sans tie. As far as the fit: if it's loose anywhere (especially in the top like around the shoulder and midsection), tighten it up, but not too much that you can't comfortably sit/stand/breathe/raise your arms enough to shake hands/walk. Make sure to do all of the above when trying it on once the tailor has put the pins in it. I think that people look especially messy when it looks like they're swimming in a coat. Nobody really wants to know what the contours of your butt look like, so don't make your pants too tight. My sleeves hit halfway between wrist and knuckle (like where that thumb knuckle is, since at least on my hand it's midway on my palm). I felt it was a nice comfortable length. Your sleeves look a teeny bit short, but not like ridiculously short, and plus I've always been one to like really long sleeves (my sweater sleeves eat up my hands and I like it that way), so having mine the length I did was a happy medium for me. Make sure you get the shoes before you do any leg hemming. Estimating the height of the shoes might not be the best idea. That's all I have, I hope I was at least a little bit helpful (without sounding totally pushy or mean).

My suit is dark gray. If looked at alone, it appears black. However, if I compare to a black suit, its noticeably gray. I don't know if its a good thing or not but after i flipped through the thread, I learned that "black is bad" (no racial offense intended) and I figured that I needed something darker than my skin, hence no "regular" gray.

I had a feeling that the tie was TOO bright. I think I have a burgundy tie laying around somewhere.

It's all about fashion and looking sexy during the interview. Don't be so naive people.

I was told that I should treat the Med School interview like a combination of a job interview and a first date. In both regards, first impressions are EVERYTHING. However, I know little about the "process" so I might be wrong.
___
So from what I gathered, I should tighten the jacket and pants (but not have my ass show). MW has shoes on sale so I might grab a pair before having the tailor hem my pants.

I actually plan to have a little of my cuffs show through the ends of the jacket so I'll bring along a random dress shirt so the tailor has something to work with.

I might go see a tailor either tomorrow (Sunday) or the day after (Monday). Anything else that I might need to know before my "purchase" becomes a legitimate investment?

Last edited:
My suit is dark gray. If looked at alone, it appears black. However, if I compare to a black suit, its noticeably gray. I don't know if its a good thing or not but after i flipped through the thread, I learned that "black is bad" (no racial offense intended) and I figured that I needed something darker than my skin, hence no "regular" gray.

I like the color. The "no black" rule usually refers only to black-black suits, as those are typically reserved for evenings and funerals. Dark charcoal is a pretty versatile color in a suit.

Bring it to your tailor, get things tightened up a bit, and you're good to go.

someone please correct me if i'm wrong... but IMHO no one gives a flying S what your suit looks like, or the knot of your tie, or your shoes, or the color of your tie, or the color of your shirt, or the stripes/non-stripes on your suit, or how many buttons your suit has.

just wear a f'ing suit, look neat and conservative, and methinks they care much more about what comes out of your mouth, your sincerity, etc. etc. than what you're wearing.

or am i completely wrong on this?

This has been debated ad nauseum earlier in the thread (and in others), but the short answer is that it matters within reason. There are things that you absolutely shouldn't do (e.g., wear a sweater) and things that you should really avoid if possible (poorly fitting clothes, black suits, belts that don't match your shoes, etc).

I fully intend to wear this (maybe minus the pocket square... not sure) to any interview in a relatively liberal area.

photo25c.jpg

Yes, the shirt is lavendar =P

I need to work on my conservative business attire... I own too many stripes, french cuffs, and colors.

I fully intend to wear this (maybe minus the pocket square... not sure) to any interview in a relatively liberal area.

Yes, the shirt is lavendar =P

I need to work on my conservative business attire... I own too many stripes, french cuffs, and colors.

I would definitely ditch both the pocket square and the tie chain

I have never seen a tie chain... what purpose does it serve and under what circumstances should it be worn? I thought girls had it rough when it came to dressing, but at least we don't have all this superfluous stuff (ties, tie chains, pocket squares and I don't know what else).

Status
Not open for further replies.