Mental Health Counseling

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BleepTastic

Throbbing Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I've been trying to find a list of schools that have approved Master's programs for Mental Health Counseling Licensure. I'm already in the middle of the Med school app process but I just found out about the new license. Since I don't have a lot of post BA experience in Psychology this seems like a great way to get into real counseling and research. Am I wrong on this one?
Anyway, does anyone know where I can find a good list? I went on the NY licensure website and no dice. Same for NYMHCA.org.

Also, anybody know if any of these programs offer assistantships a la clinical psych?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi I've been trying to find a list of schools that have approved Master's programs for Mental Health Counseling Licensure. I'm already in the middle of the Med school app process but I just found out about the new license. Since I don't have a lot of post BA experience in Psychology this seems like a great way to get into real counseling and research. Am I wrong on this one?
Anyway, does anyone know where I can find a good list? I went on the NY licensure website and no dice. Same for NYMHCA.org.

Also, anybody know if any of these programs offer assistantships a la clinical psych?

I think MHC has been around for awhile.....it may vary by state though, i'm not too familiar with MHC licensure. As for Counseling and Research....MHC will do the former, but not the latter. From what I know about MHC degrees, it is mostly applied, a bit of theory, and no in-depth research. It is aimed at people who want to focus on strictly therapy.

They don't offer assistantships as far as I know.

I don't want to say don't do it, but if you are looking at med school, I don't think it'd be economically viable to do a MHC afterwards. If you want to do research, i'd consider doing something like an MS in clinical psych....though you'd have to check about licensure....i'm not sure what limitations you may run into.

-p

the Derner Institute for Advanced Psychological Studies @ Adelphi University has a MHC masters that leads to a license

A good place to check is the CACREP website. While it's not an exhaustive list, it will show you programs accredited by CACREP. The website is www.cacrep.org. Another place you can check, is gradschools.com, but I know it will inlcude any school that has paid to advertise with them, as opposed to all schools that offer a particular program.