Mental Health Issues Among Predental Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr. Sad

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I'm sure we've probably all heard about the old study saying Dentist have higher than average rates of suicide. If you're comfortable to talk about it, do any of you feel you have mental health issues. I have never been diagnosed, but I think I probably have depression. I really struggle to relax and enjoy life. I constantly worry, feel anxious and just rob myself of any joy. I was rejected by every dental school I applied to last year and am working a job I hate now. I have an amazing, hard working, fiancé who wants to help me but I just don't think she can comprehend depression, she's just so strong, its like she's made of granite.

I'm pretty sure this forum prohibits trying to diagnose or provide any sort of treatment so lets not get this shut down by that. I'm not suicidal and in spite of my frequent unhappiness couldn't image actually harming myself.

EDIT: I should add before its suggested, I have no insurance so I really don't plan to see a therapist any time soon.

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard that statistic too, but after some googling, I've come to the conclusion that there are many jobs with a "higher than average rate of suicide" and dentist doesn't even make all of the lists. I'm sorry you've been feeling depressed lately. I felt anxiety for the first time while applying last year, so I can relate a little. Since you have no insurance, there are many free resources available if you want to look into them. There are tons of free hotlines (just google "depression hotline") and websites like 7cups where you can talk with people. They don't necessarily advise you, but they just listen, which can help. More people than you'd think suffer from mental health issues, be it anxiety, depression, or some other stuff. I'm sure there are plenty in dental school. You're definitely not alone :)

You're definitely not alone. Just know that.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hang in there. Just know that you are not alone. If becoming a dentist is your dream then I encourage to keep at it. In the meantime, Have you tried looking into the free (or for a small fee) psychology services offered by your local university? Most univ. with Phd programs in psychology offer students and the community services for free. Check it out!

Thanks guys, I know that tomorrow will bring another day. I think part of my issues are geography, I'm 22 but I live in a retirement area so I have few peers, and no close friends I kept up with too much, my fiancée lives out of town and If I can just find some positivity to hold me over until I do get into a dental school or afford to marry my fiancée I will start to see improvements. Loneliness has been a bit of an issue for me for the past few years.

Maybe go to church to find a smaller community? At our schools, students get free mental health counseling, but it seems you are no longer a student. Try volunteering at places like a food bank, homeless shelter, etc. You could meet amazing people there and find a community you belong. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user