mental health stigma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

randomdoc1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So...in the process of finding some office space. I was rather turned off when I told people I am a psychiatrist, one flat out said "we don't want prescribers/people to write for pills" and another asked "what kinds of people" are you seeing. Not to my surprise, many are misinformed about the mentally ill and more likely than not, they are vulnerable than have a tendency to be predators (more for the personality disordered than Axis I). Some seem assume I'm a pill mill!

Well...found a way around this, I just tell people I'm a physician looking to start a practice, soon as my foot is in the door I ask them what they want to know about my practice and then it's harder to just flat out refuse plus they finally give me a chance to have some dialogue and meet with them. Sheesh!

Is this discrimination or some sort of violation of the law in anyway? Like, per the ADA guidelines? That's like saying you won't rent to a depressed person.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
no. because you aren't being discriminated against, and psychiatrists aren't a protected class.

True, but it seems like they are also not wanting psychiatric patients on their premises and they are a protected class. They seem to have no issues with other medical specialties in their buildings based on their current list of tenants.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is very odd. I don't think there's a legal recourse per se, but I could be wrong. This is a question that should be directed to a labor lawyer. Secondarily, I suspect that even if a case can be made, there's very little you can do other than to instigate some kind of investigation, which makes it even LESS Likely that someone would rent to you.

Practically, if you like a space and would like to do business, I would minimize any kind of adversarial posturing. Explain that you are a (specialized) psychiatrist, and that you primarily treat an upper income professional demographic, and that believe it or not 20% of Americans are on some kind of psychotropic medications, etc. etc. have a thing to rattle off. In particular, the demand is very high in the area and that it's very likely that you will fill your business and therefore will not 1) have trouble paying rent, 2) likely will expand and need more real estate in the future.

Or alternatively, you just shut your mouth. There's no need for the landlord to know exactly what you do in the office.

Publicly funded clinics are a completely different story. For example some towns and municipalities explicitly say that any methadone treatment programs need town approval, and there are open litigations etc on this (i.e. Cambridge, MA had a recent municipal election when this issue was a heated issue). But private physicians offices are not regulated in that way.

Last edited:
Their not wanting a "pill mill" is understandable. Not all of us are pill mills, but enough are to warrant their caution.

No worries, I have no plans to take action, but I do find some of these responses very odd and concerning. I was more curious of people can discriminate based on not wanting psychiatric patients on their property. I have lined up a few places already that look great and reached a point where I am ready to sign on a place. The space has been optimized perfectly so I can have 4 office spaces, a good waiting and reception area as well, so it is not a concern.

I have explained to the places the demographic I cater to and my subspecialty (TMS). There is one location I really like that I am still waiting to hear back from, but there's plenty of other good spaces that are just as good. My approach of just saying I'm a physician has opened up a lot of doors and people are less scared after they finally met me.

It's actually a rental law lawyer that would help most.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is some sort of a violation of law somewhere. It's amazing how many things are.

Are you encountering this in medical office buildings, or in general purpose buildings that have some medical offices? Seems like the former would be a better bet for a psychiatry office.

Are you encountering this in medical office buildings, or in general purpose buildings that have some medical offices? Seems like the former would be a better bet for a psychiatry office.

Both actually. It was the first three places I called when I first said I am a psychiatrist. Then I just started saying I'm a physician and magically the reluctance disappears =/.

True, but it seems like they are also not wanting psychiatric patients on their premises and they are a protected class. They seem to have no issues with other medical specialties in their buildings based on their current list of tenants.

I’m not aware of psychiatric patients in general being a protected class. Addiction centers have trouble renting space as well.

I just told everyone that it was for a medical practice, and they were generally pleased. Medical practices have a lower rate of bankruptcy.

Is this discrimination or some sort of violation of the law in anyway? Like, per the ADA guidelines? That's like saying you won't rent to a depressed person.

Keep in mind:

1. Office space is different from a dwelling so different laws may apply.
2. Although your patients may be a protected class, discrimination laws usually don't protect third parties: you are the tenant/buyer, and you would have to be in a protected class and discriminated against, not your patients.
3. I'm not sure ADA applies as it covers employment, government services etc., public and commercial accomodations and standards.

In my situation, where my flock consists of felons [criminally insane and sex offenders], my property agents tell that to prospective landlords right off the bat.
I can't afford to keep moving my staff, reorganize office layouts, and breakdown/set up the video, communications, and security because I didn't make a full disclosure.

Last edited:
Anyways, I managed to get a look at the properties that were acting odd and sorted things out. fyi, it turns out in my state it actually is discrimination and violates some form of law (per my attorney who is helping me set up my practice). Especially if the building is for medical offices, they cannot say they will take all other specialties but not psych. So yes, it is reinforceable. Don't worry, there was no adversarial posturing, people seemed really reassured after they actually met me and realized I don't come across as some pill mill or probationary physician. There is one restriction they can put though, for example, if there is already a psychiatric practice in the building, they can decline further similar practices on the grounds they'd rather not have two entities so similar competing in such close proximity.

Reactions: 1 users
There's a lot of stories in the news about bad docs, pill mills, and junkies lining up in the parking lot outside of medical offices. It puts people on edge.