mental health versus obligation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

edieb

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a clinical and prescribing psychologist in New Mexico. Last year I began working for two separate agencies. I gave agency A 2 day/week and agency B 3 days/week.

Agency B worked out wonderfully; I was paid on-time and treated respectfully. Being the only prescriber among 35 counselors, I was and am very very busy and am making bank. Agency A treated me respectfully but I did not receive a pay check (except $1500) for over 6 months. After six months they did finally pay me after the insurance paid them.

The reason this happened was the agency somehow messed up all their providers credentialing. What made me more upset is that they didn't even tell me they were having trouble collecting payments. Three months into my contract I had to ask them where my money was!!! Anyway, after 4 months of receiving no payment, I had to switch to Agency B giving them 4 days a week and agency A 1 day a week. Three months later Agency A asks me to give them back 2 days/week as is stipulated in my contract. However, I am now booked out 5 months at agency B and, since I am the only psychiatric prescriber, this would be a disaster for myself and my patients. Additionally, I don't want any bad blood with Agency B as they have treated me well and I really enjoy working there.

Anyway, other than a few other tiffs, Agency A has treated me nicely. TBH, I only stay because there are only 2.5 providers ( One other full time prescribing psychologist who also uses a psychometrician, a part time clinical psychologist and myself who works 1 day/week) and I don't want to put the agency in a bind. However, after a year there I am SOOOOO burned out. I have too many patients at agency A and agency B and want a day off a week to just do paperwork at Agency B. The owner of Agency A also told the nurse who works with me that as soon as they find another prescriber, they will let me go because I am supposed to give them 2 days/week. However, they will never ever find another prescriber so I will be waiting forever for this to happen. I could leave without penalty with a 30 day notice. I have two years left in this contract and I don't think I can work like this that much longer.

Any opinions on what to do?

Members don't see this ad.

It sounds like you probably care about agency A more than they care about you. It's great that you care about the patients there, but you also can't single handedly solve the prescriber shortage in the US. They also probably won't become that motivated to find another prescriber until you're fully out the door anyway (I've seen this at agencies I work at. Anyway, give yourself permission to quit. And if it makes you feel better, remind yourself how much better the care for your patients at agency B will be with a psychologist who isn't burned out.

Leave already. It's not your responsibility to solve their problems. And in your exit interview (or now if you feel comfortable) make sure they know the situation that led to your being in this situation and leaving so maybe they can avoid driving the next person away when they finally find one.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Why would you think they would “never ever find a another prescriber?” I bet they find one pretty quickly if you leave.

I think the blunt assessment is that you’re enabling a broken system you’re not responsible for or able to fix.

Why would you think they would “never ever find a another prescriber?” I bet they find one pretty quickly if you leave.

There are not a huge number of RxPs. So, there may be a decent number of prescribers, there are not a lot of RxP prescribers if they are looking to specifically hire another RxP

There are not a huge number of RxPs. So, there may be a decent number of prescribers, there are not a lot of RxP prescribers if they are looking to specifically hire another RxP

Yes. And that’s their choice to only be looking for an RxP. Again, if you’re building a system around an unsustainable workforce, it’s broken. They’ll find someone to prescribe meds.

Yes. And that’s their choice to only be looking for an RxP. Again, if you’re building a system around an unsustainable workforce, it’s broken. They’ll find someone to prescribe meds.
I don't disagree, I was just commenting on them not being able to find another similar provider if they are limiting it to RxP to be a generally accurate statement.

It sounds to me like Agency A failed you in their contract to actually pay you on time, which I would argue rendered your contractual agreement null and void after the first few months of nonpayment. Why should you stay on for 2 years when they didn't pay you per the agreement initially and violated their own contract?
It isn't your job to stay on just because you think they need you. While it may be hard to find an RXP, they can hire a nurse practitioner or psychiatrist if needed; they aren't completely out of options. I'd give my 30 days notice and enjoy my work at Agency B.

Reactions: 1 user