Mental illness in personal statement--yay or nay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mindfxck

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been dealing with severe mental illness and suicidal ideation since early high school. It has affected my academic success greatly then and now (class withdrawals, 'no credit' grades, taking time off) and I am still receiving treatment. I have heard that this is a subject that should not be mentioned, however being mentally ill is what influenced my decision in wanting to become a doctor (focusing on psychiatry specialty, considering cardiology and family medicine) as well as other factors like my father's heart attacks and the suicide of my cousin, whom I was very close to.

My passion and desire for wanting to pursue medicine is rooted at mental illness. As much as there are negative experiences, my journey in dealing with mental illness has shaped many of my qualities, ambitions, and goals as a person, all being positive.

How are students who write about their personal experience with mental illness viewed in the admissions process?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't. As an aside, medicine is a very burdensome career and you should have your illness VERY well under control with a strong support network in place prior to beginning

Members don't see this ad :)
This. Medical school is a furnace. I have seen it break even healthy students.

OP, you need to go into this eyes open. And your therapist need to be on board as well.

The number one reason my school loses students to dismissal withdrawal or having to repeat a year is due to mental health issues.

As a risk.

Reactions: 1 user