Mention this experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1040417

I had an experience in the past but quickly quit due to lack of meaningful activities to do even if I asked for tasks often. I ended up cutting paper or entered data in a spreadsheet. This was only 40 hours and those most meaningful thing I got out of this was watching how the clinical team worked together to deliver quality care assigning responsibilities before each patient arrived. Should I bother including this as it was only 40 hours and ~3 months?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I had an experience in the past but quickly quit due to lack of meaningful activities to do even if I asked for tasks often. I ended up cutting paper or entered data in a spreadsheet. This was only 40 hours and those most meaningful thing I got out of this was watching how the clinical team worked together to deliver quality care assigning responsibilities before each patient arrived. Should I bother including this as it was only 40 hours and ~3 months?
i would... of course it depends what else you got. but 40 hours is not nothing.

i would... of course it depends what else you got. but 40 hours is not nothing.

Honestly, I don't think I got anything else out of it. It was a clinic of residents and two physicians with the rest of the clinical staff (PT's; OT's; Nurses). I didn't do much outside of miscellaneous basic tasks.

It didn't exactly strengthen the "Why medicine?" question, but I did like seeing how they allowed the resident to take charge and assign responsibilities with the physician overseeing everything.

Members don't see this ad :)
Even if it doesn't necessarily answer the question, it seems like you can still talk about it for a minute or two. I don't think all activities have to directly answer or contribute to "why medicine," as long as it adds on to who you are or what you learned during ur path to applying to med school. And most of all, the worst that could happen is it having zero effect lol.

On the other hand, if this experience and the 40 hrs seem like nothing compared to other activities you have, I might not list it just to keep my app focused on fewer activities. But this is assuming I have like 13+ activities and a thousand of hours of volunteering lol which is not realistically speaking everyone (and certainly not me).