Mentioning Kaplan In An Update?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WhyIsThisSoHard

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Maybe I'm thinking too much about this one. I'm writing updates/letters of interest to schools that have waitlisted me, and I'm torn about whether or not to include the fact that I've been both an SAT and MCAT instructor for Kaplan over the past year in the update. I taught all of the MCAT subjects, so it was a huge time commitment, but I feel sort of self-conscious about telling schools that I was employed by Kaplan. Maybe it's just me, but I think there is a general sentiment where I go to school that Kaplan and PR are bad because they give people who can afford their classes an edge. Does the responsibility and time needed to teach these classes outweigh any possible negative perceptions by adcoms? Does it even matter?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,

Maybe I'm thinking too much about this one. I'm writing updates/letters of interest to schools that have waitlisted me, and I'm torn about whether or not to include the fact that I've been both an SAT and MCAT instructor for Kaplan over the past year in the update. I taught all of the MCAT subjects, so it was a huge time commitment, but I feel sort of self-conscious about telling schools that I was employed by Kaplan. Maybe it's just me, but I think there is a general sentiment where I go to school that Kaplan and PR are bad because they give people who can afford their classes an edge. Does the responsibility and time needed to teach these classes outweigh any possible negative perceptions by adcoms? Does it even matter?

There's no negative stigma towards test preps. Where did you hear this?

your ability to teach is a testament to your mastery of the material necessary for med school....so i think you should include it! i would put a "spin" on it (as long as it is sincere) as well by talking about how you enjoy working with the students, being a mentor, etc....

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys,

at the places I interviewed at they took my kaplan teaching experience as a good thing. The guy I interviewed told me that you basically become a teacher as soon as you hit MS4 --you "teach/guide" MS3 during their core rotations. You continue on teaching as a resident, fellow, attending, chief etc. So teaching is definitely a positive, and you should not be ashamed mentioning it. Plus I know teaching at Kaplan, its time commiting but also very rewarding. Dont be afraid to mention this fact.

I agree with others... this is an experience to be proud of. Teaching is not easy.

So flaunt it like they want it because you gotta make em wanna get it. Nah mean?

at the places I interviewed at they took my kaplan teaching experience as a good thing. The guy I interviewed told me that you basically become a teacher as soon as you hit MS4 --you "teach/guide" MS3 during their core rotations. You continue on teaching as a resident, fellow, attending, chief etc. So teaching is definitely a positive, and you should not be ashamed mentioning it. Plus I know teaching at Kaplan, its time commiting but also very rewarding. Dont be afraid to mention this fact.

in my interviews, teaching MCAT prep was considered a positive thing for me as well. it probably helps that i mentioned the fact that i enjoy teaching and would like to enter academia in my future career. nonetheless, it is definitely a good thing: showing mastery of subject etc as others before me already mentioned.

i never knew that as a med student you become a teacher around M4, that's cool! IMO, being able to teach is awesome cause if you can teach stuff to hard-headed anal retentive pre-meds, then what's to stop you from putting your patients at ease by explaining a medical situation!?

just dont say: "i taught kaplan cause i wanted to give well-off individuals like myself an edge on the MCAT" :laugh::laugh:

Hi guys,

Hey. I'm a Kaplan instructor myself (verbal and biology). I mentioned it in my interviews and I got positive feedback. The people who interviewed seemed impressed that I knew the material well enough to teach it. Go for it. And good luck! :luck: