Seeking help trying to finalize my decision to apply med/peds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thehopefuldoctor23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently finishing up MS3 and I'm thinking that I'll more than likely apply med/peds. Ultimately, after residency, I would like to seek out a combined fellowship and in adult/pediatric heme onc. My dream practice would be working as an oncologist with the majority of my patients being around ages 13-30. How feasible is this? Is this a good reason to do med/peds? If I had to choose one or the other, I would most likely choose peds and ultimately try to specialize in peds heme onc. But between general pediatrics and general medicine, I liked my general medicine rotation more. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

Currently finishing up MS3 and I'm thinking that I'll more than likely apply med/peds. Ultimately, after residency, I would like to seek out a combined fellowship and in adult/pediatric heme onc. My dream practice would be working as an oncologist with the majority of my patients being around ages 13-30. How feasible is this? Is this a good reason to do med/peds? If I had to choose one or the other, I would most likely choose peds and ultimately try to specialize in peds heme onc. But between general pediatrics and general medicine, I liked my general medicine rotation more. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks a lot!

What patient population do you foresee treating? Why that age range? What niche do you see yourself carving out by treating that population? Do you actually foresee training in both heme and onc? Questions I would ask if I was interviewing you

Reactions: 1 user
Do a medpeds rotation somewhere. See what you think versus your peds rotation. If all else fails flip a coin.

Members don't see this ad :)

As a pediatric oncologist, you could likely see onc patients up to age 26. Correct me if I'm wrong: It sounds like working across the age spectrum is something that doesn't truly appeal to you, but you want the flexibility to treat adults so that you don't miss out on that population.

Here's the thing, though: residency and fellowship are two different ball games. Choosing a residency that you love is the most important thing you can do right now. If you don't finish residency, you can't practice. If you finish residency and don't do fellowship, the world is still your oyster. So medicine, peds, or med peds? Choose the residency that you like the most without paying excessive attention to your fellowship desires now. Your fellowship desires can change markedly, and you might, as I did, just find yourself feeling like no fellowship is the better option.

Edit: up comma removal

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
As a pediatric oncologist, you could likely see onc patients up to age 26. Correct me if I'm wrong: It sounds like working across the age spectrum is something that doesn't truly appeal to you, but you want the flexibility to treat adults so that you don't miss out on that population.

Here's the thing, though: residency and fellowship are two different ball games. Choosing a residency that you love is the most important thing you can do right now. If you don't finish residency, you can't practice. If you finish residency and don't do fellowship, the world is still your oyster. So medicine, peds, or med peds? Choose the residency that you like the most without paying excessive attention to your fellowship desires now. Your fellowship desires can change markedly, and you might, as I did, just find yourself feeling like no fellowship is the better option.

Edit: up comma removal

Thank you so much for the reply. This helped a lot. I do love clinical medicine. The thought of learning and attaining the in depth knowledge of both a pediatrician and an internist is extremely appealing to me. If I were to change my mind or if I were unable to attain a fellowship, I think I would be happy in the primary care setting caring for both children and adults. The more time that goes by, the more certain I am that med/peds is for me.