Mentioning that applications were sent to Allopathic schools & Ost. schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

craigkes

gas is good
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if any of you mentioned that you applied to allopathic schools as well as osteopathic schools during your interview. I mentioned it in both of my interviews so far and I am not sure if this will negatively influence their decision in accepting me. I have looked at other threads where people mentioned it didn't make much difference but was wondering if anyone had any negative experiences with this. I am applying to an allopathic school but just because it's my state school and mentioned this during the interview. Thanks for the information.

Members don't see this ad.

I was asked at Nova why I applied to so many Allopathic school. It was to set up the question about which I would pick if accepted to both Allo and Osteo. I think that if you can answer the question confidently and with conviction you should be alright.

craigkes said:
I was just wondering if any of you mentioned that you applied to allopathic schools as well as osteopathic schools during your interview. I mentioned it in both of my interviews so far and I am not sure if this will negatively influence their decision in accepting me. I have looked at other threads where people mentioned it didn't make much difference but was wondering if anyone had any negative experiences with this. I am applying to an allopathic school but just because it's my state school and mentioned this during the interview. Thanks for the information.

When I went to interview at COMP, I mentioned that I applied to Allo schools as well. I told them that I am a foreign applicant, and I wanted to maximize my chances. Whether I goto allopathic or osteopathic, my long term goals are the same. I still got accepted, and I was also accepted at CCOM (they didn't ask where I applied).

Members don't see this ad :)
to be honest the only school that was not so concerned that I applied to allopathic schools was KCOM--after all they're one of the oldest medical schools in nation, and have deep connections with other schools, including many allopathic ones.

However--when asked at NOVA, i told them, and they did not like it one bit.

TUCOM, AZCOM and DMU were okay with it, they didn't press me to death, like the way NOVA did.

So far I've been accepted to KCOM, TUCOM and AZCOM, and placed on alternate list for NOVA.

Good luck, be yourself, who cares if they don't like what you say??

I've interviewed at PCOM and they asked about this. I was honest and told them each of the schools that I applied to, both MD and DO. I felt awkward because I just happened to apply to more MD (based mainly on my location which I didn't convey to them at the interview) and I wasn't sure how they would take it. After I answered, there didn't seem to be any problems from their end. I guess it wasn't so bad though because I did get accepted there.

i've interviewed at UNECOM, NJ, COMP, OUCOM, and DMU i was honest about my applications i've been accepted to four and haven't yet heard from the fifth. I think it's no problem if you're knowledgeble about DO and it doesn't seem like you're applying because you're afraid you're not going to get into allo
hope this helps

My interviewer asked where else I had applied. I really wanted to stay in state and so I did apply to MD schools just to increase my chances of getting in somewhere. I firmly believe that if you set out to practice medicine with a particular set of values, it doesn't matter which school you go to. I told my interviewer this and explained why their DO program was my first choice. He seemed very satisfied with our conversation. I think if the person asks, you should be honest. But, if it doesn't come up then there's no point in bringing it up yourself :p .

I was completely honest with those who asked. It came up at 4 D.O. schools and one M.D. and I have been accepted to all who asked. I wouldn't be worried. Just be honest and reasonable in your answer.