Mentorship in Military Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

glorenz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone~

I have a dream...ok, let's say a thought. That the pitfalls, mistakes, embarrasing moments of my medical school experience, as well as the great experiences, letters of recommendation and wise physicians I've met in the Air Force not fade out into some Alzhiemer oblivion. Let me pass this along! So I'm asking (pleading with you), be a mentor for a fellow HPSP student or ask for an Active Duty counterpart!!!

In this spirit, I would love to take any and all AF HPSP students, new old or grumpy interested in Flight Medicine or Dermatology (my two interests). I've met the directors, I've done the rotations, I know the breakdowns and were to buff some areas and turff others! So let me hear from you. ciao

Lt Giovanni Lorenz
OMSIV, TUCOM-CA

Members don't see this ad.

deuist said:
First question (please answer publicly on this forum):

What is the point break down for the match?

Per AFPC Physician Education webpage and the derm program director.BTW, you can also find the actual scoring sheets as an attch at that website...

The Joint Service Graduate Medical Education Selection Board (JSGMESB) is a Tri-Service board. Applications will meet a joint scoring panel, for the specialty being requested, comprised of a senior physicians from the Army, Navy and Air Force. For example, applications for Family Medicine will meet the Family Medicine panel and be scored by a senior Air Force, Army, and Navy Family Medicine physician. Attached is an example of a score sheet and composite score sheet used at a previous JSGMESB.

Each service fills out one score sheet, thus each application receives three scores to make up the composite score. After all applications have been scored in the specialty panel, each service develops an Order of Merit List by listing the highest to lowest scores, accordingly. Bonus points may be awarded for research (maximum 4 points) and prior military service (maximum 2 points). Applicants are selected based on the total merit of the application and eligibility to enter training.

Eligibility factors include, but are not limited to, meeting time on station requirements, amount of time in between residencies, commander's recommendations, etcetera. Please contact Physician Education Branch with further questions at DSN 665-2638; commercial (210) 565-2638, or toll free 800-531-5800.

Wouldn't it make more sense for mentors to be active duty physicians? Current medicals students and residents seem to have a very different perspective (and one with a lot less experience) than current students and residents.

Might make the qualification for being a mentor that you've had a year experience working as a physician in the military.