Mercer or UGA: which one should I pick???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FireBolt123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm currently applying to pharmacy schools, two of which are UGA and Mercer. I've interviewed at both schools and even got accepted to one of them (while still waiting for news from the other one). The problem is I can't seem to decide between these two schools; I LOVE both of them, and I can definitely see myself studying at either one. UGA is a state school, so the tuition is not sky high like Mercer. If I go there, I wouldn't be in so much debt when I graduate. However, I heard that it's hard to find a pharmacy job in Athens (where UGA is located) because you have a bunch of pharmacy students competing for jobs in local pharmacies. This is where Mercer will be more advantageous. It's located in Atlanta, so I wouldn't have ANY problems finding pharmacy jobs in the huge city. What do you guys think about this? I'm just so torn between these two.

Members don't see this ad.

Both schools are very good schools.

If you are meaning finding a job while in school- yeah you might have a harder time at UGA- but you also need to take into account the tuition levels. I think you will get a great education from either school- so why not pay less for a good education?

Even though I am a Gator- I say go with UGA! A good school where you will receive a good education and you won't be in as much debt when you graduate!

Hope this helps!

Choose UGA so I can be removed from the post interview list at Mercer. J/k but seriously you're talking about a $24,300 tution cost as opposed to a state tuition cost of only about $7800. On the other hand, Atlanta will provide a ton of employment oppurtunities which will give you a headstart in the pipe-line to starting your career. Plus, you'll have many different venues to relax (if you have the time) in Atlanta than you would in Athens. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd say wait for UGA first then decide.

UGA is a much better pharmacy school than Mercer. I have friends that go to pharm school at UGA and who have found jobs without problems. Tuition is a deal and plus its UGA. The school is awesome. I went to UGA for my BS and plus I had a class with Flynn who is an amazing professor. From what I hear UGA is well known to get students very well prepared for pharmacy.

I'm not sure what your criteria are to consider UGA a "much" better school than Mercer. If the driving criterion is the fact that UGA's tuition is much cheaper, then yea, it's a much better school than Mercer. However, I don't see anything other than that that would separate the two. Mercer has been in the pharmacy education business for over a 100 years, so I'm pretty sure that they've finessed their program to almost perfection.

I'm not sure what your criteria are to consider UGA a "much" better school than Mercer. If the driving criterion is the fact that UGA's tuition is much cheaper, then yea, it's a much better school than Mercer. However, I don't see anything other than that that would separate the two. Mercer has been in the pharmacy education business for over a 100 years, so I'm pretty sure that they've finessed their program to almost perfection.

I think that if you plan to stay in Georgia to practice, then UGA might be a better choice for the reason that you will have a lot of good contacts around the state. It seems like everytime I meet a new pharmacist and ask where they went to school, the majority of the time they say UGA. Now, a lot of the people I've met lately have been out of school for awhile, and I can only assume that the program has changed somewhat at UGA now that they are so selective, but it seems like most of the people I've met are white males.

Second point to consider is that the school atmosphere of the two is VERY different, and that could be a good point or a bad point for either one of the schools, depending on your personal preference.

Third point to consider, the curricula of the two schools at the moment is set up very differently. Although they both have to cover a set of common requirements from ACPE to be accredited, how they do this is different. UGA uses more of a traditional pharmacy school curricula, where things like pathophysiology and pharmacology are taught as separate classes. At Mercer, this information is integrated together in a series of disease state classes that cover almost all of the 2nd and all of the 3rd year. Again, this might be good or bad to different people, depending on your interests, educational background, etc.

I am in the same situation this previous person was in. I've been accepted to both Mercer and UGA but I wanted to know if anyone else could offer their insight into the two programs. I'm not interested in hearing the difference in tuition as an argument for either school because I already know that and that's not the major factor in my decision to attend either school. Anyone got some alternate advice about the difference in their programs, campuses, social aspect, ect. any advice is good advice and welcomed! :)

UGA is dirty cheap! Seems like an easy choice

Not if you're out of state, which I am. So the difference between Mercer is UGA still isn't very much. I mean, there is still a very good difference financially. UGA is definitely cheaper by far. But I am not considering finances as my number one concern for choosing between the schools as I mentioned earlier but thanks for the advice anyway:)

I just want some other advice regarding their programs and some of the stuff I said in my original post.

I'd choose which ever was more awesome. :)

(I PMed you.)

Last edited:
What is your reasoning?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app

My reasoning is that I speak from experience.

Last edited:
Agreed. I would go with UGA. Something about going to a public school that attracts me more. And hey-- you'll get some good football.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk