Mercer University College of Pharmacy Class of 2020 (Entering Fall 2016)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks. I already have the three Hep B shots taken over a series of 6 months many years ago. But I want to know what else requires that much time.

I believe Hep B is the longest one you can have.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks. I already have the three Hep B shots taken over a series of 6 months many years ago. But I want to know what else requires that much time.
I sent an e-mail out, will keep ya''ll updated

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone interviewing on Friday at 1?

Just spoke to Jordana. A postal mail packet has been distributed earlier this week. The packet contains some information including an immunization document. Note, this is not the same document that was for last year, so please note the date on the top. Some shot series have to be started early, so plan accordingly. Influenza shots are not available until late summer or august, so don't worry about that, the deadline is in October (for influenza ONLY).
Since we are dealing with the postal service, people who live in other states might take LONGER to get their packets. Newly admitted students will be provided information accordingly.

Just spoke to Jordana. A postal mail packet has been distributed earlier this week. The packet contains some information including an immunization document. Note, this is not the same document that was for last year, so please note the date on the top. Some shot series have to be started early, so plan accordingly. Influenza shots are not available until late summer or august, so don't worry about that, the deadline is in October (for influenza ONLY).
Since we are dealing with the postal service, people who live in other states might take LONGER to get their packets. Newly admitted students will be provided information accordingly.
awesome! thanks for the follow up

Thank you! :) I got my immunizations letter last week.

Reactions: 1 users
is mercer rolling admission like south? Ive received/completed interviews for UGA and South, but yet to receive an invite from Mercer. I did complete my pharmcas late (December) ..does anyone know until when Mercer sends out interview invites? Isnt their deadline March 1?

is mercer rolling admission like south? Ive received/completed interviews for UGA and South, but yet to receive an invite from Mercer. I did complete my pharmcas late (December) ..does anyone know until when Mercer sends out interview invites? Isnt their deadline March 1?
Yes, Mercer has a rolling admissions process. You should have received an email saying your file was complete and under review shortly after your PharmCAS verified. If I were you, I would contact the admissions office. They are very friendly!

Yes, Mercer has a rolling admissions process. You should have received an email saying your file was complete and under review shortly after your PharmCAS verified. If I were you, I would contact the admissions office. They are very friendly!
turns out your right...I sent them an email right after I posted on here and got an invite soon afterwards.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do most students live on campus or off campus?
Usually those who are out of town live on campus (paired up with a random roommate, or someone from their class). There are also apartments available walking distance for those who want to have their own space/live with a friend. Mostly students live in those apartments since living on campus can be pretty costly. Students from the Atlanta area usually commute to school from their current home.

Does anyone know if there is a dress code for regular class / lecture?

Does anyone know if there is a dress code for regular class / lecture?
During your first year, the dress code is mostly professional. You will be doing presentations in front of class, poster presentations to peers, consultations with patients and actors, labs etc. PROFESSIONAL DRESS is a MUST! I suggest starting shopping now, so you won't need to spend a lot of money at one time for dress clothes. Second year/third year as you get into the core classes, its mostly college dress although nothing improper like (shirt skirts, see through shirt etc,.). Class attire constitutes T-shirts with pants, khaki shorts, professional dresses.

turns out your right...I sent them an email right after I posted on here and got an invite soon afterwards.

Did you do the supplemental application before they invited you for the interview? I got my pharmcas verified 2/16.... Still have not received an email from them saying they got my application. I have not done the supp yet.

Did you do the supplemental application before they invited you for the interview? I got my pharmcas verified 2/16.... Still have not received an email from them saying they got my application. I have not done the supp yet.

You don't need to complete your supp until they invite you for interview. I would just email the admissions office. Like I mentioned earlier in the thread, they are very friendly.

I would definitely email them asap...on the interview invite they say you need to complete supplemental 48 hours before your interview time, but if you want I would go ahead and finish the supplemental.

Do most students work during school?
I think most students work ~10 hrs per week (during the semester) from what I heard but it varies. I'm planning on working during the summer and possibly over the holidays.

Do most students work during school?
Many do work, especially during the first year because the schedule accommodates that (morning classes). Second year the volume of work increases, but some people still keep up with their jobs. Depends what grades you want

Many do work, especially during the first year because the schedule accommodates that (morning classes). Second year the volume of work increases, but some people still keep up with their jobs. Depends what grades you want
Would it be difficult to find a job in the Atlanta area? Or are most of the jobs already filled by current pharmacy students? Also when are we allowed to apply for an intern license?

Hello Pharmily!

I'll also be attending Mercer this coming August. Thank you @Jlcallisto for answering our questions. I too have a few.

I've completed most steps, just working on my vaccinations and titers. I plan to stay off campus with my boyfriend, so are there any apartments that you could recommend (there's so many!) ?

What is the dress code for the Mercer event in April (haven't received specifics)?

Is there anything you would suggest we began buying or saving for (besides the professional attire)? (I ask because I want to get a laptop and ipad but I'm holding off until I talk to current students)

Thank you!

Hello Pharmily!

I'll also be attending Mercer this coming August. Thank you @Jlcallisto for answering our questions. I too have a few.

I've completed most steps, just working on my vaccinations and titers. I plan to stay off campus with my boyfriend, so are there any apartments that you could recommend (there's so many!) ?

What is the dress code for the Mercer event in April (haven't received specifics)?

Is there anything you would suggest we began buying or saving for (besides the professional attire)? (I ask because I want to get a laptop and ipad but I'm holding off until I talk to current students)

Thank you!
Hello, Congratulations on your acceptance. I have been asked many times where one would live if they are not from Atlanta, Yes, Mercer provides housing which you have to apply for. If you sign into my mercer.edu the link is going to be on the top right hand corner. You would have to follow the instructions there. There are plenty of off campus apartments that are easily within 1 minute of mercer. Those include residency square, Park pointe North, Amili. You would have to shop around for them yourself since mercer is not affiliated with them.

The dress code for the picnic is business casual. For men it is usually khaki pants with a collared shirt, females dresses, or blouse and pants. There will be an email sent out closer to the date. So, no miniskirts, fishnet tights with holes, no see through shirts, if you wouldn't go to an interview dressed like that, its probably not wise to wear that to the picnic since you will be interacting with fellow students, professors, and your classmates. This is supposed to be a fun event where you learn more about the school, the program, and meet fellow students and your future classmates.

When you start school, there will be several things that need to be bought like blood pressure cuffs, certain flashcards, and books. I suggest allocating money toward that because sometimes clubs provide discounts (because they buy in bulk). Also club memberships can be pricy with Apha membership costing upwards 60 dollars.

Would it be difficult to find a job in the Atlanta area? Or are most of the jobs already filled by current pharmacy students? Also when are we allowed to apply for an intern license?
Well, Atlanta is a big city, and there is a constant rotation of pharmacy students, some graduate, others find work effecting their grades, so I would not say that work is difficult to find. There are plenty of help needed for people working for a certain company for instance a student might send out a message "hey can someone cover a shift for so and so this friday 5-9". The college offers internships and opportunities as well in areas where jobs might be hard to find, like informatics, etc.

The school mediates your license application, which means you will be submitting documents to the school in the fall, and they will be taking care of getting them to the board. Nothing you have to worry about now, but you will be getting license around late october/november, not earlier.

By the by, I would recommend against living in Park Point North. While I personally didn't live there, many of my classmates did and they had constant issues (gate never worked, thieves, delays in repairs, ect).

I also agree with most of JIcallisto's recommendations. The only one I would dispute is the necessity to purchase books. While the curriculum and the professors have changed, I only found one book was really necessary during my time there: The Federal Law book.

By the by, I would recommend against living in Park Point North. While I personally didn't live there, many of my classmates did and they had constant issues (gate never worked, thieves, delays in repairs, ect).

I also agree with most of JIcallisto's recommendations. The only one I would dispute is the necessity to purchase books. While the curriculum and the professors have changed, I only found one book was really necessary during my time there: The Federal Law book.

Thank you!!! I read horrible reviews about Park Pointe North online so I will definitely stay away!

Just curious, is there anything that we should be doing in terms of financial aid. I've applied for FASFA and looked into external scholarships/loans (no luck).

Looking over the "New pharmacy student checklist" it's states, "Award letters will be sent electronically to students who have paid tuition deposit and files are complete" so I'll wait for that but do you know if the award letters contain the Grad plus loan or is that a completely seperate application process done on our own?

ALSO, if anyone has any links to scholarships or loans you don't mind sharing, it'll be greatly appreciated:)

How long did it take to receive an interview invitation after you received Mercer's application file is complete email? It's been about a week since I received the completion email.

How long did it take to receive an interview invitation after you received Mercer's application file is complete email? It's been about a week since I received the completion email.
It took exactly 2 weeks

those who were accepted, was it through a phone call? I received a call but it went straight to voicemail and I called back but the office is busy.

those who were accepted, was it through a phone call? I received a call but it went straight to voicemail and I called back but the office is busy.

Yes, first phone call, then email then the official acceptance mail.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Hello! I'm also starting in august! I'm definitely looking into apartments and such.
Does anyone know when white coat ceremony for fall 2016? I'm looking for schedules and all, and no luck. I'm assuming 1st or second week in august.

Hello! I'm also starting in august! I'm definitely looking into apartments and such.
Does anyone know when white coat ceremony for fall 2016? I'm looking for schedules and all, and no luck. I'm assuming 1st or second week in august.

Pretty sure that info is in your acceptance letter. I think the white coat ceremony is just a few days before classes start in August.

Hi Guys!! I will be attending Mercer Pharmacy School this August as well. I'm pretty sure there are 150 of us that will be entering the class of 2020. Where did you all go for undergrad if I don't mind and what did you major in? (I attend the University of Tennessee, Knoxville and I'm majoring in Microbiology.)

Hi Guys!! I will be attending Mercer Pharmacy School this August as well. I'm pretty sure there are 150 of us that will be entering the class of 2020. Where did you all go for undergrad if I don't mind and what did you major in? (I attend the University of Tennessee, Knoxville and I'm majoring in Microbiology.)
I graduated from the University of Georgia and also majored in Microbiology!

Graduated from UGA this Dec. majored in Bio/Psych!

Pretty sure that info is in your acceptance letter. I think the white coat ceremony is just a few days before classes start in August.

Orientation and white coat ceremony are August 18th and 19th. Classes start on the 22nd.

When you all interviewed how many people were invited? like 10-15? Just curious as to how many people they invite for each interview.

When you all interviewed how many people were invited? like 10-15? Just curious as to how many people they invite for each interview.
There were ~15 people when I interviewed about a month ago.

It honestly depends. In the beginning of the year it is about 7-8 per group, towards the middle of the year usually 10-14, and as spring continues it can be up to 20 people at an interview.

I think I had one of the earlier interviews, if not the first.... mine was the last week of August and there were only maybe 5 other students besides me...

Hey guys. My name is Shan and I was there for the interview on February 26th. I will be attending mercer in Fall. I am really excited to take one step forward to my ultimate goal. Who else was there for interview on February 26th and will be attending Mercer? And do we have a Facebook page for class of 2020 yet?

Need to email or call Jordana this week, but maybe one of you know... I've begun the Hep B series and will get the final dose in early Aug, then get the titers. Was looking through my acceptance paperwork and it states they want the immunizations complete by June 1??

Need to email or call Jordana this week, but maybe one of you know... I've begun the Hep B series and will get the final dose in early Aug, then get the titers. Was looking through my acceptance paperwork and it states they want the immunizations complete by June 1??
i was planning on asking her about this too, if someone knows or has already asked please post on here.

I don't think anyone that starts now can get the hep b series completed before August anyway. It does take 6 months. I think at the very least what they want out of the way is at least two shots of Hep B before the June deadline to show that you have started on the series. I've read in a lot of places that lot of people show immunity after two shots.

But of course talking to Jordana would be best.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app