Mercer University College of Pharmacy Class of 2020 (Entering Fall 2016)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just received the new student welcome email today! Who else is planning on going?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys! Just had a question about the immunization form. I know it's supposed to be completed by June 1st. But I'm out of the country until mid July. Does anyone know if the immunization form completed at a different country would still be valid? And is it true that we can't register for classes until the immunization form is completed? And also is there are advantage in registering for classes early (aren't we all taking the same classes?) If anyone knows please let me know! Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys. My name is Shan and I was there for the interview on February 26th. I will be attending mercer in Fall. I am really excited to take one step forward to my ultimate goal. Who else was there for interview on February 26th and will be attending Mercer? And do we have a Facebook page for class of 2020 yet?

I was there on the 26th too and yes I got in as well :) congrats!

i was planning on asking her about this too, if someone knows or has already asked please post on here.
I had the same issue, because even though I got the series years ago, I am still not immune for whatever reason. I talked to someone in the admissions office, and she said as long as I get the third shot by August, its okay.

Hi!

I have a question in regards to the PharmD curriculum at Mercer. I noticed that this pharmacy curriculum differs from other schools in a sense that it focuses mainly on disease/disorder states such as: nervous system disorders, cardiovascular/renal disorders, gastrointestinal disorders, endocrine disorders, and infectious disease.

Do these courses involve more of an anatomy and physiology aspect or a pharmacy-related aspect? If possible could you give a brief overview of what is covered/learned in one of the courses I listed above?

Thanks!!

Hi!

I have a question in regards to the PharmD curriculum at Mercer. I noticed that this pharmacy curriculum differs from other schools in a sense that it focuses mainly on disease/disorder states such as: nervous system disorders, cardiovascular/renal disorders, gastrointestinal disorders, endocrine disorders, and infectious disease.

Do these courses involve more of an anatomy and physiology aspect or a pharmacy-related aspect? If possible could you give a brief overview of what is covered/learned in one of the courses I listed above?

Thanks!!
Usually, a module starts off with anatomy and physiology. The pace of this is fast because the pre reqs require you to already taken the class, so nothing should be new. Then after a fast anatomy overview of the discussed module, you learn the pharmacology of the drugs, how they act on the molecular level. The last part is therapeutics thats where the doses/interactions etc is discussed. All three are very closely related because knowledge of anatomy is the base, and everything else builds on that. This series is like that for most of the body systems.

Members don't see this ad :)
My name is Maliha, I go by Em :) yes I will be attending Mercer !! Very excited.
I just got accepted as well ! Very excited! Does anyone know if u receive a new student welcome packet electronically as well as mailed?

I just got accepted as well ! Very excited! Does anyone know if u receive a new student welcome packet electronically as well as mailed?
Congrats!!! You will first receive a phone call. Later your will receive an email about your acceptance and then you will receive your packet in mail within a week or two of acceptance. And once again congrats!

Did you find out if there is an official Facebook group for class of 2020? Thank you.
right now there is no "official" facebook group for class of 2020 yet, the one listed above looks like someone personally made the group. Jordana would email/invite when she creates the group.

Does anyone know how you go about paying the deposit ? Can you pay it online?

Does anyone know how you go about paying the deposit ? Can you pay it online?
the acceptance email they sent you, in that theres a tinyurl link that you fill out with your information, after a day or so they send you your personal portal login info to pay deposit online.

Hey y'all!

I have an interview at Mercer this Friday at 1:00. I was wondering what to expect? Is the group interview portion intimidating? I had a semi- group interview at another school I interviewed at but it was while we were eating lunch, so it was not that intense! Any tips or comments about Mercer's interview process would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Hey guys, I will be attending Mercer this Fall and I will move closer to Mercer. I wonder if anyone is trying to find apartment and want to live with a group of 2 or 3 people to save money?
p/s: I am a girl..:)

Hey y'all!

I have an interview at Mercer this Friday at 1:00. I was wondering what to expect? Is the group interview portion intimidating? I had a semi- group interview at another school I interviewed at but it was while we were eating lunch, so it was not that intense! Any tips or comments about Mercer's interview process would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

The group interview portion is relatively relaxed. Just make sure you contribute to the conversation!

Hey guys, I will be attending Mercer this Fall and I will move closer to Mercer. I wonder if anyone is trying to find apartment and want to live with a group of 2 or 3 people to save money?
p/s: I am a girl..:)
I'm apt hunting too, hopefully the facebook group is created soon.

Reactions: 1 user
Received an email from Jordana couple days ago and it has a link for the official facebook group but when I click on it,it gives me an error message. Has anyone run into the same problem as me or its just me?

Received an email from Jordana couple days ago and it has a link for the official facebook group but when I click on it,it gives me an error message. Has anyone run into the same problem as me or its just me?
Hey Shaun,
I had the same situation when I clicked on it on my phone. But I am able to open it on the laptop today. So, try to open on the laptop.

Not just you! I had the same problem

how long does the background check/drug screening take by certiphi?

how long does the background check/drug screening take by certiphi?
Just a few days for the background check. About a week for the drug screening.

Does anyone know if you get extra time for the Hep B vaccination ? And is it true that it takes 6 months? Thanks!

Does anyone know if you get extra time for the Hep B vaccination ? And is it true that it takes 6 months? Thanks!
Yes it takes 6 months. I emailed Jordana about this over the weekend. Just get started on it ASAP and you'll be fine.

Hey everyone! I got accepted a while back ago, and going to the picinic on the 15th, woohoo! I haven't received an email from Jordana for the facebook group yet. Anyone else not get it?

Hey everyone! I got accepted a while back ago, and going to the picinic on the 15th, woohoo! I haven't received an email from Jordana for the facebook group yet. Anyone else not get it?
If you still need the FB group link, you can PM me.

Interviewed on Friday and got the call from Jordana today saying I was accepted!! Woot woot! :clap::clap:

If any currents students are still reading this, what's the best day of the week to have IPPE for P1? Also, how tough are the end of year exams?

If any currents students are still reading this, what's the best day of the week to have IPPE for P1? Also, how tough are the end of year exams?
Honestly, I would recommend Fridays. During P1 year, you are in lab for the actual 4 hours, so having the weekend the next day is nice. Lecture module tests are every monday, so taking a test and also preparing for your lab at the same time can be stressful. It also depends on students work schedules, so some people work around that. I liked Fridays, plus labs are every 2 weeks, not every week.
As for EOYE, each class has a certain amount of questions on the exam, it is nothing to stress out if you kept up with your school work during the year. It is just a practice for the NAPLEX.
See you all at picnic.

Reactions: 2 users
Hello all. So i went to my primary care physician to get my immunizations done. They did the paperwork and everything But I can't help but feeling its not done. They didn't do the mmr titer or hep b titer and told me I should be fine with just the records that i got those vaccinations. Don't i need the blood titers as well? I'm confused.

Hello all. So i went to my primary care physician to get my immunizations done. They did the paperwork and everything But I can't help but feeling its not done. They didn't do the mmr titer or hep b titer and told me I should be fine with just the records that i got those vaccinations. Don't i need the blood titers as well? I'm confused.
Yes, you need the titers as well. I would suggest going to the health department.

Hey guys! When do we register for the Georgia pharmacy intern license?

Very laid back. Only 9 applicants, including myself.
1) Tour of campus led by a P1
2) One on one interview with a faculty member who has received your PharmCAS info but may/may not have read it b/c they want to get to know you more organically
3) One on one interview with a P3 student
4) Group interview with 3 applicants and a large group consisting of P1, P3 and admissions

What kind of questions do they ask on the interview? and the group discussions...

What is PDN exactly? I am currently registering for classes and I noticed its not on the list of classes we register for. Is that something we don't directly sign up for like the exam period on Mondays?

What is PDN exactly? I am currently registering for classes and I noticed its not on the list of classes we register for. Is that something we don't directly sign up for like the exam period on Mondays?
Thats correct. PDN is for your portfolio. Its allocated time where you might meet with your advisors, attend a seminar, etc. Everyone has that time blocked off, and its not something you sign up for. Its like lunch, its just there.

Hello,

Will they assist us in the registeration for the
Georgia pharmacy intern license?

Hello,

Will they assist us in the registeration for the
Georgia pharmacy intern license?
yes, you will be submitting all the documents to the school and the school will be sending them in. Don't worry about it now, this will be done in late September

Thats correct. PDN is for your portfolio. Its allocated time where you might meet with your advisors, attend a seminar, etc. Everyone has that time blocked off, and its not something you sign up for. Its like lunch, its just there.
thank you!

Are there any thing in particular you all (current students) would suggest we get such as a specific laptop, iPad, certain supplies or books (just to name examples)?

How are the IPPES? I'm not too familiar with what it is. Do you stay on campus for it? Is it work intensive? We have a choice of choosing which day we want to take our IPPES and Monday doesn't seem like a popular day to take it since we have exams that day as well. Or does it not matter? What do you do in IPPES?

Thanks.