Mercer University College of Pharmacy Class of 2020 (Entering Fall 2016)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How are the IPPES? I'm not too familiar with what it is. Do you stay on campus for it? Is it work intensive? We have a choice of choosing which day we want to take our IPPES and Monday doesn't seem like a popular day to take it since we have exams that day as well. Or does it not matter? What do you do in IPPES?

Thanks.
IPPE is based on modules on most common disease state. Your first year you get introduced on basics about diabetes, hypertension, dyslipidemia. IPPE is hands on where u check blood glucose, cholesterol, measure blood pressure. It is once in two weeks for 4 hours. You pretty much fill out a workbook and take some quizzes. It is not intensive, but you do need to come in prepared (thats why monday is not popular because you don't want to prepare for lab and the test at the same time)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
IPPE is based on modules on most common disease state. Your first year you get introduced on basics about diabetes, hypertension, dyslipidemia. IPPE is hands on where u check blood glucose, cholesterol, measure blood pressure. It is once in two weeks for 4 hours. You pretty much fill out a workbook and take some quizzes. It is not intensive, but you do need to come in prepared (thats why monday is not popular because you don't want to prepare for lab and the test at the same time)

I see. Thank you!

And how are exam days like? Is it that you take an exam for EVERY class (that you have in that time period), every two weeks? Or is it, on some Mondays its 1 exam and other Mondays it's 2 or 3 exams depending on the professors timeline? Sorry for all the questions.

I see. Thank you!

And how are exam days like? Is it that you take an exam for EVERY class (that you have in that time period), every two weeks? Or is it, on some Mondays its 1 exam and other Mondays it's 2 or 3 exams depending on the professors timeline? Sorry for all the questions.

Mercer uses a block schedule, so it's usually one class everyday for 4-5 weeks alongside some of less strenuous classes once a week. So generally you end up with one exam a week with an occasional additional quiz/exam from your ancillary classes. But with finals, you'll have several exams a week due to electives/ancillary class/main class.

Members don't see this ad :)
@Jlcallisto Are there any things in particular that you would suggest we get now such as a specific laptop, iPad, certain supplies or books (just to name examples)?

@Jlcallisto Are there any things in particular that you would suggest we get now such as a specific laptop, iPad, certain supplies or books (just to name examples)?

Well computer that can hold charge, and that is fast is a MUST. Everything is done on the computer for example some in class quizzes you only have 3 minutes for. No one is going to wait for you to load your computer, or update it in class or install/reinstall anything. Everyone is ready to go and take the quiz once announced. I would also recommend getting a planner for the first year (at least). There will be different locations/rooms/times/assignments thrown at you (especially in the first week of school), so you need to keep track. I think one of the biggest differences between undergrad and pharmacy school is you are not going to be babysat. If you don't turn in an assignment- no one will hunt you down for it, you just get a 0. Books in most part should not be bought. Usually books will be available online or a teacher might specify exactly the one you need (changes from year to year). Just normal school supplies, nothing fancy..a binder maybe, pens/pencils, paper, whatever you need to take notes. I would also recommend investing in a printer. Some papers must be turned in and you don't want to be in the library at 6 am trying to print something etc. Professional dress code is a must some day so invest in some professional attire including shoes. I think the rest will come along the road like scrubs for P2 year etc.

Well computer that can hold charge, and that is fast is a MUST. Everything is done on the computer for example some in class quizzes you only have 3 minutes for. No one is going to wait for you to load your computer, or update it in class or install/reinstall anything. Everyone is ready to go and take the quiz once announced. I would also recommend getting a planner for the first year (at least). There will be different locations/rooms/times/assignments thrown at you (especially in the first week of school), so you need to keep track. I think one of the biggest differences between undergrad and pharmacy school is you are not going to be babysat. If you don't turn in an assignment- no one will hunt you down for it, you just get a 0. Books in most part should not be bought. Usually books will be available online or a teacher might specify exactly the one you need (changes from year to year). Just normal school supplies, nothing fancy..a binder maybe, pens/pencils, paper, whatever you need to take notes. I would also recommend investing in a printer. Some papers must be turned in and you don't want to be in the library at 6 am trying to print something etc. Professional dress code is a must some day so invest in some professional attire including shoes. I think the rest will come along the road like scrubs for P2 year etc.

Thank you!!!!

Mercer uses a block schedule, so it's usually one class everyday for 4-5 weeks alongside some of less strenuous classes once a week. So generally you end up with one exam a week with an occasional additional quiz/exam from your ancillary classes. But with finals, you'll have several exams a week due to electives/ancillary class/main class.

Thank you!

Quick question - The white coat ceremony is listed as August 18 and 19th, what is done during both days? I thought the ceremony would last only one? Just making sure as far as what to tell guests. Also, is anything major done during the weekend before classes start besides the white coat ceremony? Thanks!

Quick question - The white coat ceremony is listed as August 18 and 19th, what is done during both days? I thought the ceremony would last only one? Just making sure as far as what to tell guests. Also, is anything major done during the weekend before classes start besides the white coat ceremony? Thanks!

Orientation is Thursday the 18th. White Coat Ceremony is the 19th. I think both are mandatory.

Orientation is Thursday the 18th. White Coat Ceremony is the 19th. I think both are mandatory.
Both are absolutely mandatory. If you don't attend one of those days or don't have a valid excuse for missing, you might be disqualified from the program. At orientation there will be document discussion that you would need to turn in, how to log onto moodle to see your classes, how to submit homework's online, schedule. Just things that are essential to the program and mercer. During the weekend, there probably be already some small homework due for the upcoming week for some of your first classes.

Reactions: 1 users
Is there anything you would recommend studying / reviewing over the summer before P1?

Is there anything you would recommend studying / reviewing over the summer before P1?
Get to know your OTC, enjoy your last summer

Do you learn the "Top 200 drugs" over the course of 4 years or within the first year? Is it done randomly or by function/purpose?

Do you learn the "Top 200 drugs" over the course of 4 years or within the first year? Is it done randomly or by function/purpose?
You learn them based on organ/disease state modules as you go through 4 years

Hi guys, I was accepted for the Class of 2020 and I cannot wait to start this fall!! Is anybody considering staying in the on campus apartments? Jlcallisto, do you know anybody who stayed there? Are they nice? Is it worth it?

Hi guys, I was accepted for the Class of 2020 and I cannot wait to start this fall!! Is anybody considering staying in the on campus apartments? Jlcallisto, do you know anybody who stayed there? Are they nice? Is it worth it?
In your acceptance email there is a link for the Facebook group. In there I think you can ask your future classmates if anyone lives/considering living on campus. See my other posts for pros/cons and other explanations.

So Jordana just posted some specifications our laptops should have. Anyone have any recommendations for a laptop that is not out of this world expensive?

What is PDN exactly? I am currently registering for classes and I noticed its not on the list of classes we register for. Is that something we don't directly sign up for like the exam period on Mondays?

PDN has a fancy name, but don't expect much.

Last edited:
Hey, so I dont have time to go to Atlanta to try on the whitecoats, since I live 3 hours away---could someone recommend a coat size for ladies? Are they fitted or generally loose? I normally wear size 12 jeans, should I get M or L coat? I dont want it to be too loose. Thanks!

Just curious. My friend and and I were talking and we remembered that when we interviewed, Dean Matthews mentioned something about a new school of Pharmacy (in) construction. Was that in the works or is that done? Has any current/incoming students heard anything else about this?

Just curious. My friend and and I were talking and we remembered that when we interviewed, Dean Matthews mentioned something about a new school of Pharmacy (in) construction. Was that in the works or is that done? Has any current/incoming students heard anything else about this?
In the works. Won't be done for a couple years afaik.