Mercer University's Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah the Mercer interview is really fun actually. You have a lot of opportunities to talk to the other students there with you and also to the faculty/staff. It's pretty relaxing once you are there, but of course I was extremelyyyyy nervous before it started. lol

Members don't see this ad :)
That's awesome guys!

No it's not bad... I'm sure we're all pretty broke. I'm booking my reservations now and I could definitely make you feel better if I told you how much it is going to cost me. LOL The only reason I can afford it is because I've been working, my boyfriend might come and help pay, and I just got a refund check today for this quarter of my MBA classes.

It's 340 for both our flights, 100 for the hotel in Atlanta, 100+ for the rental car, and another 100 for the hotel in Miami because I have to take an exam at FIU on Saturday when I get back and I don't live near Miami anymore. This is not counting food, gas, and shopping (I shouldn't be but I know I want to go to Lennox and Buckhead lol).

So yeah it's going to be like 400 a peice for us, but I figure that it's worth it because it's kind of a once in a lifetime thing to get into pharmacy school and also go on one of the only vacations I'm going to have in a long time since I start working full time next month and then start school in August.

I'm pretty broke too. I'm lucky enough to have a friend that lives in Marietta so I will be staying with her. Plus I don't get to come down that way very often so I'm going to drive to Montgomery, Al from there and visit with my boyfriend for the rest of the evening! Two in one trip!!! Can't wait to see everyone!!!:D

I had my interview, was late due to some airline problems!!!(emergency landing and delays) but overall, the interview was really nice, everyone was nice too and I was relaxed, I really hope I get in!

does anyone know when is the last interview for Mercer?

I had my interview, was late due to some airline problems!!!(emergency landing and delays) but overall, the interview was really nice, everyone was nice too and I was relaxed, I really hope I get in!

I had my interview on Friday too! I've never been to Atlanta.. or Georgia for that matter but I absolutely LOVED it there when i came up for interview! The people at Mercer were super nice! I felt like I stumbled with my student interview though. :(

Oh yeah, do you remember when they said they will let us know? Were they going to let us know by the end of this month?

I had my interview on Friday too! I've never been to Atlanta.. or Georgia for that matter but I absolutely LOVED it there when i came up for interview! The people at Mercer were super nice! I felt like I stumbled with my student interview though. :(

Oh yeah, do you remember when they said they will let us know? Were they going to let us know by the end of this month?

Yeah, they are awesome people! They did say it would be around the end of the month....I remember this because it's also the last week of classes for me...lots of sleepless nights ahead...haha

I am a long time Mercer '77 grad when it used to be in downtown. A virtual war zone in the 70's. Took your life in your hands to go to school and many students packed heat. Mercer had to give up its downtown location and now has a nice place in N. Atlanta. I believe Mercer is the best school to get a rounded pharmacy education. Plenty of clinical and retail jobs in the area. Experience, in the long run, means more than pharmacy school. Today's pharmacists try to make things harder than they really are. After all pharmacy is NOT brain surgery. A word of advice--Do not make mountains out of molehills at your job. Another, do not think you are a doctor or can influence many doctors decisions. You will get knocked back into reality if you try. You will be a vital member of the health care team, but in the role of the poor man's physician. Learn all you can about OTC remedies. People need consultation on these type products and only you are most familiar with them. People are so dumbed down today, most can not read or think for themselves. You have to be their brain. Remember OTC sales pay your salary. With all the price matching and third party foolery going on with pricing it is the only thing you can make money on today. And always remember that making money is the goal of every retail or clinical establishment no matter what else transpires.

Yes, it is safe in this area. Anything in N.Atlanta is fairly safe. You will be in a suburb of Atlanta called Tucker, and in the Chamblee-Tucker area. It is very close to I-85 and 1-285 (the perimeter) and easy to get anywhere from there. All amenities area available in that area. You are not far from Lenox Mall, a premier shopping mall in the whole South. You are also close to Stone Mountain. A great place for a picnic or just to climb up 800 ft. for a great view of the area. There is a lot to do in Atlanta. I graduated from Mercer 33 yrs. ago and have lived here 38 yrs. There is nothing like Atlanta in the fall. Beautiful fall landscapes and fair cool weather. And FOOTBALL!

I remember the deputy dean said first week of next moth. Also I know because they have interviews till April 30. fingers crossed!

Members don't see this ad :)
mercer has interviews into midmay (my girlfriend has one on the 14th, i think thats the last one). I'm a first year student there right now and wanted to say don't worry too much about having a later interview, or being waitlisted. Even if spots are "full" right now, many of them open up if and when people find out they get into UGA. I'm from out of state, but have pretty much been told that Mercer's class can't truly be full until UGA's is. I interviewed in April, was waitlisted, and didn't end up getting accepted until late May or early June. And I have many friends and classmates that went through the same. it SUCKS, but stay positive.

Also, bring a car. It's really really hard to get by without a car in Atlanta...its way too spread out. There are some nice places by campus (so you could walk to class), but you're all going to be working in a pharmacy at some point your first year, and it won't always be close. Public transportation is OK, but I would not want to have to rely on it. If you choose to live further from campus (I live much closer to downtown), don't worry about the commute. Atlanta traffic sucks something fierce, but in the morning it's all coming into the city. I make it to class in less than 15 minutes no problem.

congrats to people who got accepted, I'll see you all at the picnic tomorrow when i show up after class for the free food.

The spring picnic was fun :)

I visited the on-campus housing as well as Park Pointe North and Regency Square. How many of you guys/gals have an idea of what you want to do for housing? And let me know if you want any of the info on those off-campus apartments.

I'm living at Park Pointe North. Lol. I'm reserving the 850 sq ft one bedroom but I we have to either buy or rent a washer and dryer for the connections.

I didn't see you uncbiograd, but I know your real name because you were the only person from MD and you prob know mine because I'm the only person from south Fl on the list. Lol

I'm living at Park Pointe North too! You can find the list of a few off campus places on the mercer website along with the on campus info. From there I had to call the place because they did not have a very good website.

What's the date for the white coat ceremony? At work and my mom wants to know. Thanks

Do the school notify you by email if you are invited for an interview?

Do the school notify you by email if you are invited for an interview?

Yeah man. You'll receive an email from Melva inviting you for an interview on a specific date and time. It will also ask you to RSVP. Then about a week before the interview, you will receive 1 or 2 reminder emails. They're fantastic communicators! Best of luck.

I just received an interview invite, gee I sent my application over four months ago and now they want me to come in for an interview yeah! Well anyway Ill decline it asap so someone else gets in Good luck all!

I just received an interview invite, gee I sent my application over four months ago and now they want me to come in for an interview yeah! Well anyway Ill decline it asap so someone else gets in Good luck all!
Yeah, I was invited for and interview today also. I am very excited about the opportunity!

PCOM - Accepted:D
Mercer - Interview on 4/30:claps:

Last edited:
Hey guys...I have all of my study materials for the PCAT (study cards, 2 question/answer books, Kaplan and Dr. Collins-which I highly recommend!). If you know of anyone needing study materials I am selling everything for $200 (Dr. Collins alone cost me over $300). PM me...thanks!

I canceled my interview (April 23)... someone might get a future invite!

STILL no word from Mercer! I finished everything in August! I have gotten 2 emails saying they needed more time to further review my application. WTF?!

Would you chose an out of state school over your home town school? I can see the benefits of both that's just why I'm curious?

Would you chose an out of state school over your home town school? I can see the benefits of both that's just why I'm curious?

For Mercer, I probably would. It's a pretty reputable school. So we will see what happens.

For Mercer, I probably would. It's a pretty reputable school. So we will see what happens.

True... I don't have any pharm schools in my hometown so I'm just wondering how other people feel about it. Georgia has pretty nice cost of living if you must live on your own... I found a one bedroom for ~550-650 depending on the amenities and size.

True... I don't have any pharm schools in my hometown so I'm just wondering how other people feel about it. Georgia has pretty nice cost of living if you must live on your own... I found a one bedroom for ~550-650 depending on the amenities and size.

Yes, ANYWHERE is cheaper than West Palm. OMG it is expensive to live here. But if I stay here, I will live with my parents and have no rent!

Yes, ANYWHERE is cheaper than West Palm. OMG it is expensive to live here. But if I stay here, I will live with my parents and have no rent!

No rent would be hard to turn down!

Hey guys,
Congrats to all that got accepted. Also, for the people waiting to hear back, stay positive. There's a facebook group for the accepted class of 2014 if you haven't joined yet. http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=304589195351
I go my Moose or chocolate moose...whichever u prefer...I've lived in Atlanta for the past five years and for those students who are on the wait list for housing or just haven't found a place to live yet....I def recommend getting an apartment close to I-85 where you can just hop on it quick and not worry abt traffic. Just remember traveling North on I-85 traffic is minimal, but coming south (going towards downtown) sometimes I-85 becomes a parking lot. Even if you get an apt in Buckhead, Midtown, or even downtown....that's about a 15 min drive.
PS. I am a promoter for several night life events in Atlanta. I call dibbs on social chair for this class. Friend me on FB: Musau Kithome
Cheers

Hey guys, anybody who had an April interview hear back yet?

Hey guys, anybody who had an April interview hear back yet?

Not yet....I don't believe the admissions committee meets until next Tuesday....someone please correct me if I'm wrong...

lol...I'm guessing everyone who didn't receive a call today got rejected, or maybe waitlisted?

Hey guys,
Congrats to all that got accepted. Also, for the people waiting to hear back, stay positive. There's a facebook group for the accepted class of 2014 if you haven't joined yet. http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=304589195351
I go my Moose or chocolate moose...whichever u prefer...I've lived in Atlanta for the past five years and for those students who are on the wait list for housing or just haven't found a place to live yet....I def recommend getting an apartment close to I-85 where you can just hop on it quick and not worry abt traffic. Just remember traveling North on I-85 traffic is minimal, but coming south (going towards downtown) sometimes I-85 becomes a parking lot. Even if you get an apt in Buckhead, Midtown, or even downtown....that's about a 15 min drive.
PS. I am a promoter for several night life events in Atlanta. I call dibbs on social chair for this class. Friend me on FB: Musau Kithome
Cheers

Hmmm... I might need you to fill me in on this. lol I'm coming from south Florida and I don't really know anyone in Atlanta at all.

Congratulations on getting accepted!! I also interviewed on April 9th and didn't receive a phone call today - oh well. I was wondering what your pcat and gpa were? I know it's a silly question, but I am really worried I won't get in and kind of want to know what my chances are compared to someone that did get in......

Does everybody that got interviewed and wasn't accepted get waitlisted? Or do some interviewees get rejected?

I got waitlisted!!!! so sad :(

Congrats to all accepted. I will be applying this fall, but I have a few questions about the pre-reqs I want to ask them. So when I called I talked to a woman who gave me a email and I must have wrote it down wrong because it didnt work. Does anyone know of someone that I could contact with a pre-req question. Thanks.

Congrats to all accepted. I will be applying this fall, but I have a few questions about the pre-reqs I want to ask them. So when I called I talked to a woman who gave me a email and I must have wrote it down wrong because it didnt work. Does anyone know of someone that I could contact with a pre-req question. Thanks.

http://cophs.mercer.edu/faculty.htm Use this link and scroll to the bottom for the staff. You can email Melva Lord or Jordana Stephens Berry. They're both very helpful and involved with admissions. Best of luck!

I have an interview at Mercer tomorrow and would like to know what to expect. What are the steps of the interview process?

I have an interview at Mercer tomorrow and would like to know what to expect. What are the steps of the interview process?

The first hour consists of an introduction where they will speak to you about Mercer's program and pharmacy. This is followed by a short tour of the school which lasts half an hour. The actual interview process consists of a 30 min interview with a faculty member, 30 min interview with a pharmacy student, and 30 minutes of mingling time with everyone. I don't think you are really assessed during the mingling time (maybe by some of the pharmacy students) but just make sure you thank Dr. Bartley (associate dean) and Jordana for having you at the interview.

Three hours sounds bad but it's really not. They are very welcoming and friendly. It really helps to try to make your interviews conversational. I would recommend reading some of the questions posted in the interview feedback on SDN for Mercer pharmacy.

Last edited:
The first hour consists of an introduction where they will speak to you about Mercer's program and pharmacy. This is followed by a short tour of the school which lasts half an hour. The actual interview process consists of a 30 min interview with a faculty member, 30 min interview with a pharmacy student, and 30 minutes of mingling time with everyone. I don't think you are really assessed during the mingling time (maybe by some of the pharmacy students) but just make sure you thank Dr. Bartley (associate dean) and Jordana for having you at the interview.

Three hours sounds bad but it's really not. They are very welcoming and friendly. It really helps to try to make your interviews conversational. I would recommend reading some of the questions posted in the interview feedback on SDN for Mercer pharmacy.
Thank you! That really helps. I feel much better now that I know what to expect.