Meredith College PostBac Pre-Health 2018-2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PolarBear23

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I wanted to create this thread for others who have applied to this year's class to share info, connect, ask questions, etc.

I submitted my application last week and have been anxiously checking the mail/e-mail in case somehow miraculously they made a decision within 6 business days :laugh:

So where are you guys in the app process? Would love to hear from others. Good luck everyone and congrats to those who made it!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I wanted to create this thread for others who have applied to this year's class to share info, connect, ask questions, etc.

I submitted my application last week and have been anxiously checking the mail/e-mail in case somehow miraculously they made a decision within 6 business days :laugh:

So where are you guys in the app process? Would love to hear from others. Good luck everyone and congrats to those who made it!

I have been accepted into the 2018-2019 cohort and just had my advising meeting yesterday! It took me around 3-4 Weeks to hear back from Meredith, they don’t send you an email notification they only send your acceptant through the mail. As for anyone who has any questions about the area I grew up 20 minutes outside of Raleigh and did my undergrad in Raleigh.

I have been accepted into the 2018-2019 cohort and just had my advising meeting yesterday! It took me around 3-4 Weeks to hear back from Meredith, they don’t send you an email notification they only send your acceptant through the mail. As for anyone who has any questions about the area I grew up 20 minutes outside of Raleigh and did my undergrad in Raleigh.

That's great, congrats on your acceptance! Is the advising meeting so you can work out your class schedule for the summer?

Members don't see this ad :)
That's great, congrats on your acceptance! Is the advising meeting so you can work out your class schedule for the summer?
The advising meeting was actually to set up my schedule for the entire program. I’m a career changer so this summer session 1 I will take bio 1 and chem 1. Summer session 2 I will take cell bio and chem 2. In the fall I will take ochem 1, physics 1, and genetics. Then in the fall I will take ochem2, physics 2, and biochem. Very excited about how it is laid out and the program director said that this is the general schedule for most career changers so there will be a good amount of postbacs in these courses.

I submitted my application in October and heard back around early December! I think it takes a while for them to get back to you haha

Haha I know, just can’t wait. This is the only program I applied to and the only one I want to do.

I applied in January and heard back by February! I had my meeting with the program director a week later, and am currently waiting on financial aid. I am so excited to be a part of the 2018-2019 cohort! Does any one know when schedules will be officially made? Dr. Marritt said it will be taken care of for us, but I was unable to get an idea of when we would receive them by.

I applied in January and heard back by February! I had my meeting with the program director a week later, and am currently waiting on financial aid. I am so excited to be a part of the 2018-2019 cohort! Does any one know when schedules will be officially made? Dr. Marritt said it will be taken care of for us, but I was unable to get an idea of when we would receive them by.
I’m not sure of when we should receive official schedules but if you know what courses you are taking you can go to meredith college’s webadvisor and it will show you which sections are available during the summer to get an idea of what times you will be in class.

Hello! I just submitted my application for this program but when I look at my Application Status it says my they are 'Awaiting' my transcript from my university. I don't recall there being a step requiring for transcripts to be sent in (although I may have missed it). Unfortunately since I technically submitted my application, there isn't a way for me to go back and check and see if this was a required part of the application or if they will ask me to send it in later on. I'm worried that they won't look at my application until they receive my transcript and our school is currently on spring break so I believe it would most likely be past the application deadline by the time my transcript request gets processed and sent to Meredith.

Can anyone recall how the transcript portion of your application went? That would be very helpful (and put me more at ease)!

Hi there. Congrats on submitting your app! Hopefully we hear good news soon :)
Transcripts are absolutely required, but the info for that was kinda buried in the "Instructions" page, which for someone like me who was anxiously stressing on other parts of the app (like the essay) it could be easy to miss. Here's the info from the Common App Materials requirements section on the "Instructions" page:
  1. Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended in sealed envelopes. Bachelor's degree must be from an accredited institution. For international transcripts, a certified translation into English with a course-by-course evaluation including GPA is required, and should be mailed directly from the pre-approved organization (refer to your specific program’s website).
Also, it says:

Any mailed materials should be sent to:
Meredith College Graduate Programs
Attn: [Name your program here]
3800 Hillsborough Street
Raleigh, NC 27607

But they should be contacting you soon. Two days after I submitted my application I received an e-mail from them that said they had received my application but were "awaiting my official transcripts." So if I were you, I would go online and order them right now from your college's website, that way you can get a jump start and have them already in the mail on they way to Meredith before they contact you! Most colleges should have staff working in the transcripts/registrar/financial offices even during semester breaks. Also, there was another blurb that said:
  1. To be considered complete, all materials - both common and program-specific - must be submitted by the deadlines provided below.
Which in this case is March 15th. So if your undergrad college is local, you might be better off just picking up the sealed transcripts in person and hand delivering it to Meredith just to ensure it's delivered on time. Otherwise pay for the expedited shipping!

Lastly, like most things in life that are kinda gray area or unclear, it's best to just reach out to someone at graduate admissions. Who knows, they may be willing to work with you if your college truly can't get the transcripts sent in time. They are just people after all, and it doesn't hurt to seek clarification. Also, if your undergrad college offers an "e-transcript" option where they will e-mail official "sealed" electronic transcripts, reach out to Meredith and see if they will accept that.

For me, I submitted my app, received an e-mail 2 days later acknowledging receipt of app but missing transcripts (transcripts were already in the mail, as soon as I submitted app I went straight to my college's website and placed orders for my transcripts) then a day later received an e-mail from Meredith acknowledging receipt of my transcripts. All the categories said "received" with a green check mark on my app and I thought it was complete, but about 4 days after that they contacted me and said that they reviewed my transcripts and noticed I had transfer credit for which I hadn't submitted a transcript (I took 2 classes at a community college 8 years ago and totally forgot about them) so I needed to send that in too. They were super helpful through all of this, and finally, about a week after I submitted the original app I received a confirmation e-mail that my application "is now complete and will be forwarded to the Pre-Health committee."

So in short, communication is key. Reach out to them if you are having any questions or uncertainty about what is required on the app, and order those transcripts ASAP!!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi there. Congrats on submitting your app! Hopefully we hear good news soon :)
Transcripts are absolutely required, but the info for that was kinda buried in the "Instructions" page, which for someone like me who was anxiously stressing on other parts of the app (like the essay) it could be easy to miss. Here's the info from the Common App Materials requirements section on the "Instructions" page:
  1. Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended in sealed envelopes. Bachelor's degree must be from an accredited institution. For international transcripts, a certified translation into English with a course-by-course evaluation including GPA is required, and should be mailed directly from the pre-approved organization (refer to your specific program’s website).
Also, it says:

Any mailed materials should be sent to:
Meredith College Graduate Programs
Attn: [Name your program here]
3800 Hillsborough Street
Raleigh, NC 27607

But they should be contacting you soon. Two days after I submitted my application I received an e-mail from them that said they had received my application but were "awaiting my official transcripts." So if I were you, I would go online and order them right now from your college's website, that way you can get a jump start and have them already in the mail on they way to Meredith before they contact you! Most colleges should have staff working in the transcripts/registrar/financial offices even during semester breaks. Also, there was another blurb that said:
  1. To be considered complete, all materials - both common and program-specific - must be submitted by the deadlines provided below.
Which in this case is March 15th. So if your undergrad college is local, you might be better off just picking up the sealed transcripts in person and hand delivering it to Meredith just to ensure it's delivered on time. Otherwise pay for the expedited shipping!

Lastly, like most things in life that are kinda gray area or unclear, it's best to just reach out to someone at graduate admissions. Who knows, they may be willing to work with you if your college truly can't get the transcripts sent in time. They are just people after all, and it doesn't hurt to seek clarification. Also, if your undergrad college offers an "e-transcript" option where they will e-mail official "sealed" electronic transcripts, reach out to Meredith and see if they will accept that.

For me, I submitted my app, received an e-mail 2 days later acknowledging receipt of app but missing transcripts (transcripts were already in the mail, as soon as I submitted app I went straight to my college's website and placed orders for my transcripts) then a day later received an e-mail from Meredith acknowledging receipt of my transcripts. All the categories said "received" with a green check mark on my app and I thought it was complete, but about 4 days after that they contacted me and said that they reviewed my transcripts and noticed I had transfer credit for which I hadn't submitted a transcript (I took 2 classes at a community college 8 years ago and totally forgot about them) so I needed to send that in too. They were super helpful through all of this, and finally, about a week after I submitted the original app I received a confirmation e-mail that my application "is now complete and will be forwarded to the Pre-Health committee."

So in short, communication is key. Reach out to them if you are having any questions or uncertainty about what is required on the app, and order those transcripts ASAP!!

Thank you, that was really helpful!! I'll get on that immediately.

I submitted my application around the same time..any news yet?? It’s been about 2.5 weeks for me.

I submitted my application around the same time..any news yet?? It’s been about 2.5 weeks for me.
Finally heard back this weekend! An e-mail with postal mail to follow :) Took just over 4weeks.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Finally heard back this weekend! An e-mail with postal mail to follow :) Took just over 4weeks.
Awesome! So hopefully another week for me! It sucks bc classes starts in May and gotta plan for a move soon (if I get in! )!

Btw, how is the tuition cost per credit? I am interested in that program. Thanks

The advising meeting was actually to set up my schedule for the entire program. I’m a career changer so this summer session 1 I will take bio 1 and chem 1. Summer session 2 I will take cell bio and chem 2. In the fall I will take ochem 1, physics 1, and genetics. Then in the fall I will take ochem2, physics 2, and biochem. Very excited about how it is laid out and the program director said that this is the general schedule for most career changers so there will be a good amount of postbacs in these courses.

I just finished the PostBac in May. Some of your courses like Physics (at least for us) will be all PostBacs while things like Biochem and Ochem will be a mix of PostBacs and undergrads.

Let me know if y'all have any questions.

I just finished the PostBac in May. Some of your courses like Physics (at least for us) will be all PostBacs while things like Biochem and Ochem will be a mix of PostBacs and undergrads.

Let me know if y'all have any questions.
I want to ask how much the tuition cost per credit. Thank you :)

I want to ask how much the tuition cost per credit. Thank you :)
Directly from Meredith's website: meredith.edu/accounting-department/pre-health-program-tuition
Annual Tuition: $20,295

Fall - $10,147.50 based on 12 credits per semester plus $920 for each additional credit

Spring - $10,147.50, based on 12 credits per semester plus $920 for each additional credit

That's ~$850 per credit up to 12 credits per semester.

Good luck!

Directly from Meredith's website: meredith.edu/accounting-department/pre-health-program-tuition
Annual Tuition: $20,295

Fall - $10,147.50 based on 12 credits per semester plus $920 for each additional credit

Spring - $10,147.50, based on 12 credits per semester plus $920 for each additional credit

That's ~$850 per credit up to 12 credits per semester.

Good luck!
Thanks a lot!

It's probably too late for my response to reach the OP. However, please be wary of this program. The tuition figures provided on Meredith's website are misleading. Most students elect to take summer courses, WHICH are not factored in to the overall tuition breakdown. Therefore, you are looking at more than just a hefty $20k+ price-tag for a certificate program. Although it requires a bit more planning on your part, taking courses at NC State (which is literally right down the street) is a much, much cheaper option.

It's probably too late for my response to reach the OP. However, please be wary of this program. The tuition figures provided on Meredith's website are misleading. Most students elect to take summer courses, WHICH are not factored in to the overall tuition breakdown. Therefore, you are looking at more than just a hefty $20k+ price-tag for a certificate program. Although it requires a bit more planning on your part, taking courses at NC State (which is literally right down the street) is a much, much cheaper option.
Thank you. I am NC resident, I think maybe UNC would be better for me to save some money

Really interested in applying for the 2019-2020 year! How is everyone paying for the program? I went to the interest meeting last week, and the program director says that sometimes parents pay the program in full. Oh how I wish I was that fortunate! ;)
Anyway, for those who don’t have 20K laying around, how did you/are you affording the program and keeping up with living expenses?!

Really interested in applying for the 2019-2020 year! How is everyone paying for the program? I went to the interest meeting last week, and the program director says that sometimes parents pay the program in full. Oh how I wish I was that fortunate! ;)
Anyway, for those who don’t have 20K laying around, how did you/are you affording the program and keeping up with living expenses?!
have you heard back from meredith? did you apply?