Meredith College Pre-Health Post Baccalaureate 2020-2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ped-neph92

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Accepted and attending for the 2020 - 2021 cycle. Anyone else? Has anyone met with the lead advisor for the program?
 
The program is okay- lots of transitions happening. Some alum would not suggest it. Most students end up going to medical school (DO). I wish they would make that statistic more clear.
 
Hello, I'm from the 2018-19 cohort! I'm here if you have any questions before/during/after attending Meredith.

There have been a lot of changes going on in the program, but they are very much for the better. The majority of the changes occurred during my cohort, which were mainly expanding the program to accommodate more students and bringing in more advisors.

Most of us from my cohort have gotten into a wide variety medical schools, both MD and DO, based on how we targeted ourselves and our personal goals (our application cycle is still ongoing, so I don't have the exact numbers to share). The main reason I actually attended Meredith was because of how many previous students have gotten into competitive schools, along with the personalized advising you get from the program.

I think attending Meredith was the best decision I made for getting into medical school. Being an enhancer (pre-health undergrad major trying to raise scores), I chose Meredith because of the 1 on 1 attention you get. I went to a very large institution for undergrad, so you often had to compete to get attention and opportunities. As someone who was a non-traditional student, I really wanted personalized help and guidance, not to continue to compete for attention.

Meredith's class sizes are very small (my classes ranged from 8 students to 30 students). I got to know all my professors really well, which allowed me to get the most out of my classes, improve my scores significantly, and also get awesome, personalized recommendation letters. The advisors at Meredith know your story, background, and aspirations, and you're able to get 1 on 1 attention whenever you need it. I don't think many other institutions can offer that. My advisor was Dr. Aghoram, and there is no one more dedicated or hard working than him, and he genuinely cared for each and every student he worked with.

As a cohort, all the students get really close and help each other through classes. We have a GroupMe where we continue share different resources, volunteer opportunities, and information about the application process. Meredith overall is a very positive community, and it makes this entire process just a bit less stressful when you have so many people supporting you!

Hope this helps. Please feel free to ask me anything here or in a DM if you have any specific questions, I'd love to help any way I can!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Accepted for summer 2020 to spring 2021. I live in Durham nearby, and work as an EMT if anyone has questions. I'm currently finishing up 3 classes at UNC CH. I've been speaking with the advisors about classes and such, finally getting all that nailed down. I've heard mostly good things about Meredith, but the occasional naysayer as well. I'd love to hear more of everyone else's experiences and information about it, too.
 
I got the chance to zoom with Dr. Aghoram and I am very pleased! I am scheduled to do Gen Chem I, Gen Chem II and Cell Bio over the Summer. Given that we are switched to virtual learning, my move to Raleigh got postponed. I originally went to NCSU 8 years ago, but ended up finishing my degree at USC last year. I chose Meredith because I wanted a small classroom setting for getting my pre-requisites out of the way. Given that I am non-traditional, mom of 3, I felt like I would have been lost as just a number at USC. I am feeling at peace with this choice.