Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Christmas Presents via Budget and Accounting Office
Dear Students,
We would like to inform the students that next year we decided to raise tuition a measly 6%, so open your check book (or call Uncle Sam). And remember you peon students we could have raised it 8% so consider it an early Christmas Gift.
Sincerely,
_INSERT SCHOOL PRESIDENT HERE__
During my couple of weeks off I was pondering why every year there is a 5%-7% increase in tuition, whether it be undergrad or a graduate program. I read an article in forbes and it summed it up from a business standpoint. I wonder how the schools themselves can rationalize a 5-7% increase. CPI is around 3% and headline(?) inflation is more around 7%. So it's pegged to the other inflation number (food and energy), but I doubt that podiatric physicians and other med professionsals are getting 7% pay bumps. I hope schools take this into account, especially since most of the people who are administrators never had this problem to deal with while they were in school.
Forbes seemed to think the problem was with the gov't handing out too much money and as the gov't handled out more money, schools never had to watch costs like a true business. What is the answer??? I don't know take away that money and someone wouldn't be able to go to school. Limit money to the schools you take away from the american dream, but force them to lower tuition?? All I can say is good luck to the poor sap who goes to a private school and then finds out that his/her degree did not pay as much as he thought and then wants to go to med/pod/dds/fill in the blank. Check out the article I'm thinking about printing it off and giving it to my president as I don't remember any student input in raising my tuition bill. Oh for all you other business minded people check this one out, marry another doc and you too could have a net worth of -$445,000!
Let me know your reactions to the problem as I think it is a lot bigger than people think. Or better yet, let me eat happy over the holidays and tell me why everything is ok and that student loans are chump change to the huge load of cash we are eventually going to be rolling in!
http://www.forbes.com/businessinthebeltway/forbes/2007/1112/144.html
http://money.cnn.com/2007/11/16/pf/young_doctors.moneymag/index.htm?postversion=2007111611
Dear Students,
We would like to inform the students that next year we decided to raise tuition a measly 6%, so open your check book (or call Uncle Sam). And remember you peon students we could have raised it 8% so consider it an early Christmas Gift.
Sincerely,
_INSERT SCHOOL PRESIDENT HERE__
During my couple of weeks off I was pondering why every year there is a 5%-7% increase in tuition, whether it be undergrad or a graduate program. I read an article in forbes and it summed it up from a business standpoint. I wonder how the schools themselves can rationalize a 5-7% increase. CPI is around 3% and headline(?) inflation is more around 7%. So it's pegged to the other inflation number (food and energy), but I doubt that podiatric physicians and other med professionsals are getting 7% pay bumps. I hope schools take this into account, especially since most of the people who are administrators never had this problem to deal with while they were in school.
Forbes seemed to think the problem was with the gov't handing out too much money and as the gov't handled out more money, schools never had to watch costs like a true business. What is the answer??? I don't know take away that money and someone wouldn't be able to go to school. Limit money to the schools you take away from the american dream, but force them to lower tuition?? All I can say is good luck to the poor sap who goes to a private school and then finds out that his/her degree did not pay as much as he thought and then wants to go to med/pod/dds/fill in the blank. Check out the article I'm thinking about printing it off and giving it to my president as I don't remember any student input in raising my tuition bill. Oh for all you other business minded people check this one out, marry another doc and you too could have a net worth of -$445,000!
Let me know your reactions to the problem as I think it is a lot bigger than people think. Or better yet, let me eat happy over the holidays and tell me why everything is ok and that student loans are chump change to the huge load of cash we are eventually going to be rolling in!
http://www.forbes.com/businessinthebeltway/forbes/2007/1112/144.html
http://money.cnn.com/2007/11/16/pf/young_doctors.moneymag/index.htm?postversion=2007111611
