messed up at interviews? what do you all think

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Strikeout13GB

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
had two interviews and no acceptances, not expecting anything at this point either. Check my predent profile for stats and numbers but it seems to me I must have screwed up at my interviews. Especially VCU, they have a good interview/acceptance ratio, plus i'm instate. What do you all think? because I'm clueless as to what happened this cycle. I have learned a lot this cycle though and its been a humbling experience. (I know no one really knows but anyone on here has a better idea and understands the process better than anyone else I could ask). Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

had two interviews and no acceptances, not expecting anything at this point either. Check my predent profile for stats and numbers but it seems to me I must have screwed up at my interviews. Especially VCU, they have a good interview/acceptance ratio, plus i'm instate. What do you all think? because I'm clueless as to what happened this cycle. I have learned a lot this cycle though and its been a humbling experience. (I know no one really knows but anyone on here has a better idea and understands the process better than anyone else I could ask). Thanks!

Its hard to analyze what you did wrong at this stage. Just reapply next year but add a few more schools to maximize your chances. Maybe some schools though your stats are too high for them and that you would want to attend elsewhere. Can be tricky when you have really high stats like you.

I agree it is difficult to exactly say why you didn't get accepted. I would definitely add more schools. You usually have a better chance with out of state private schools vs out of state public schools (but obviously apply to your instate school again). You should try some mock interviews if your college advisors do these just to get some feedback. You could have had a cold LOR from someone, or maybe your personal statement had some red flags that stuck out. Tough to say.

I feel for you, with your stats, you should have got in. Keep your head up and go back and examine your whole app for possible flags. Meditate on your interviews - were you energetic, outgoing, friendly, intelligent but NOT cocky, etc. Stuff like that...

Hang in there!

Members don't see this ad :)

It's strange that your in state school didn't give you an offer. Why do you think you screwed up your interviews? A particular reason?

If I were you, I would get in touch with someone at VCU to see what was wrong. Hopefully you'll get the info you need and you can use it to apply next cycle.

Good luck

yea it is a huge mystry to me, I'm not saying I expected to get in but I thought I had a very good chance. thats why there has to be something in my app I messed up or interview, both my interviews I thought went very well though, I was friendly and talked to other applicants and had good conversations with both interviewers at VCU, maybe I should have been more energetic about dentistry lol i dont know. I even emailed Dr. Haley like he said to if you didnt get in dec first and express your interest and your situation, I said it was my number one choice and would accept a offer in a heart beat, not my exact wording but you get the picture.

tell us more about your interviews please

very curious

There isnt much more to tell really, I thought they all went well, they were all comfortable, easy conversations, they didnt ask any crazy questions, I didnt get stumped on anything and I didnt THINK i said anything stupid. Maybe some of my honest answers just did not match up with what they are looking for

look at your profile on Predents and to be honest, you could have got into the big names like Penn, Colombia, UCLA... I don't know about Maryland, but for VCU, I agree with a post above that may be you are so great for them to the point they afraid that if they offer you, you will turn them down anyway. My friend had the same situation with Western last year. His profile was just awesome and got rejected.
At this point, I'd say try to appeal if the schools have this option. Appeal does work sometimes. Good luck.

whats appeal? and I've heard of people getting rejected because of those reasons but I emailed dean at VCU twice expressing my interest, maybe they didnt beleive me? i dont know. another thing maybe they looked at is my undergrad college. Its a very small liberal arts school, we have a great, competitive bio program but the truth is it doesnt compare to programs like UVA. regardless I feel like my DAT, support my good GPA and the biology education I have received here.

Reactions: 1 user
Not sure... Apply more broadly next year and you should get in somewhere, maybe...

are you asian?

were you of the same race as your interviewer(s)?

serious question

whats appeal? and I've heard of people getting rejected because of those reasons but I emailed dean at VCU twice expressing my interest, maybe they didnt beleive me? i dont know. another thing maybe they looked at is my undergrad college. Its a very small liberal arts school, we have a great, competitive bio program but the truth is it doesnt compare to programs like UVA. regardless I feel like my DAT, support my good GPA and the biology education I have received here.

You havn't been flat out rejected yet correct? dont panic too much just yet then. If I were you I'd call and see if they would allow you to submit new 'updates'. If they say that is ok, find any legitimate excuse to call/email/submit things to keep making your name pop up. Test grades you've received, new shadowing/volunteering experiences, another letter of rec etc. I'm obviously not advocating you be pushy, but you should be able to gauge from their response what they would deem appropriate and helpful for you, and what wouldn't be.

There is a reason you weren't accepted Dec. 1. Its not cause you were over qualified and its not because of the school you went to (im assuming a 4 year university). Your stats are crazy good, so its not bc of those either. Unless there is something in your application you aren't telling us, pretty much the only logical thing it could be is your interview. You hinted that you didn't sound as excited about dentistry as you could have. Expound upon that. Maybe your responses weren't bad, but maybe they weren't particularly good either. If you want legitimate feed back, consider telling us what the questions were and what your answers were.

P.S. If you dont get in this year, believe me when I tell you its not the end of the world. Just do yourself a favor and apply to more schools next time. :thumbup:

P.P.S. Im in a similar situation (havn't heard back from state school). I'm going to take some of my own advice and call to see if I can update my file! lol

to stevesteve121 i'm white, both interivews are VCU were white and at MD she was not white. to dru180 yes I have not been rejected flat out but I'm pretty sure VCU already did their alternate list so the only thing left is D5. As for Maryland i havent heard back since my interview. I thought it was too late to update grades and stuff because aadsas is closed now? And I really dont think there is anything else in my app that is bad or a red flag. I'm a pretty normal guy, nothing to crazy on my app, I thought a good ps and lots of work and tutoring. My volunteer hours are alittle weak but I have good shadowing hours in all specialties. As for the interview, when i say not as excited about dentistry, I wasnt like answering their questions with "yea i've wanted to be a dentist all my life! i've always known!" that kind of stuff, but I dont think many people are like that...Looking back on it I do wish I did more research about the school and the program and asked alot more questions to both the interviewers and the students, to show that I want to know everything about the program. thanks for you everyones input

Hey, your numbers look great but I think an 18 RC could have held you back from gaining an acceptance. Just a guess and I could be completely wrong lol. Keep your head up, good luck!