Messed up my first semester

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pennstate936

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just completely messed up my first semester of college. I'm not exactly sure what my final GPA is going to be but it's going to be somewhere between 2.5 and 3.0. Is it possible for me to still get into a top medical school (like Johns Hopkins, Brown, ect.)?

Members don't see this ad.

i would say yeah sure it is. but thats mostly because its only your freshman year of college.... you've got the rest of your college career ahead of you. bad grades first semester freshman year can easily be explained as a difficult time transitioning. But of course it's up to you to demonstrate that.

Not a problem. Everyone likes to see an upward trend, so do better next semester.. OK?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ahhh youth. By the time you're graduating you'll be hoping to get into A medical school, not just hopkins.

Yep, when I came in freshman year I had the mentality of Harvard! Johns Hopkins! Brown! Ivy League! Top med school!

When it comes down to it though, a med school is a med school. Sure there may be slight disparities, and there is nothing wrong with setting the bar as high as possible, but concerning yourself with med school rank is a waste of time.

Don't be discouraged, we all learn from our mistakes! Develop a strong work ethic along with time management skills, study smart for you, avoid distractions and all will be fine.