messed up summer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nvr Ending Jrny

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I switched majors and started pre-med last semester. so im taking chem 101 right now (and i've taken bio101 with lab). So my adviser told me to take chem 102 and bio102 in the summer so that i can take orgo/physics next year (my junior year).

The problem is that I have a trip planned to europe during the only time they offer those two classes. Would it be very stupid to take chem 102/bio102 in the fall, and then start orgo/physics int he spring? Then I guess take orgo2/physics2 the following spring?
That would basically leave no time to take upper level sciences and I would have to apply late to schools and maybe take a year off after college.

I'm so confused on what to do. I just wish I was pre-med from the beginning and I wish I didn't have to take sciences in the summer. I just want to be taking the the first semester courses in the fall and the 2nd section of those courses in the spring like everyone else.

Members don't see this ad.

how important is you going to europe this summer? can you change your plans?

do you want to take longer??

these are questions you need to answer. maybe you can tell us more bout yourself so we can help.

thanks for replying. going to europe is already a done-deal cause we've booked the plane tickets and eurotrail passes.
i don't mind taking a year off or needing to work for an extra semester after my 4 years. My main concern is that just getting everything in order.

I don't want to do be taking orgo/physics in off semesters. I have to take chem102 and bio102 this summer it seems like if i refuse to take orgo/physics in off semesters. Is it a big deal taking pre-reqs at a different school?

Members don't see this ad :)
why dont you want to take them off semester? ...it usually is easier.

if you take them elsewhere, your grades are foremost important. it can be bad to take them all at a diff school....they will think you did it just because it would be easier even though this is not the case for you.

how bout you just take some classes next summer? and try to catch up. you have to think about the mcat as well.

So you have to take

chem 102
bios 102
phys 1 and 2
orgo 1 and 2

You'd have to take either chem or bios 102 next semester along with phys 1 and orgo 1.

Then take the other chem or bios class along with phys 2 and orgo 2 in the spring.

Of course you'd probably want to take the Aug MCAT with 3 science classes (little prep time) your spring semester.

BTW, How much research/clinical experience do you have so far? I ask because I switched to pre-med my junior year. I already had bios and chem done at that point, but I had no clinical experience.

You'd undoubtedly be a stronger applicant if you waited a year, especially if you got some good clincal or research experience in your year off. I was doomed to the Aug MCAT because I was in a similar situation as you are, and I think my chances suffered a bit because of that. How bad do you not want to take a year off?

The big question is, WHAT DO YOU WANT to do? Is going to Europe more important than applying to med school's on time? Med school's will always be here.

I personally take Europe first, and delay applying. If you don't want to take a year off then don't go to Europe. It is more or less wasteful to apply late because you could waste your money at some, most or if not all schools because their slots fill up quickly. You would also have to consider when you would take the MCAT. Having your pre-reqs ready to go before studying for the MCAT would be a good thing.

Personally, i'd just suck it up and finish my school first, AND then take a year off to go to Europe. But i'm a non-traditional applicant. I think i've done more to benefit myself as an applicant in the year and a half after graduation than the 4 years i spent as an undergrad. So thats my two cents.

thanks for all the replies. i just found out that it's possible for me to take chem102 this summer (at the very end after europe in 4 weeks). wouldn't it be very hard to take orgo/physics/bio in one semester? orgo and physics are 5 credits each and bio is 4, so would be okay to take only 14 credits? i really don't want to take 17 cause 3 labs is going to be really hard to for me.

Well I don't know how easy the workload transfers over from semester to quarter unit, but 14 semester units = 21 quarter units. Thats the limit of units we can take here at the University of California, unless we petition. However many of my friends have done it perfectly fine.

Its doable, and personally, bio, and physics aren't too demanding in my opinion, that part of the semester should be OK. The OChem portion may be a whole other story. That part is dependent on how well you can memorize, and apply knowledge. I'm not you so I wouldn't know.

I personally took OChem, Physics, and upper division physics, each 5 quarter units, so I did well, but thats the quarter system. Its all you though, can you gurantee that you will be able to handle the workload from OChem combined with bio and physics, especially considering that you never have encoutered OChem before.

OChem IMO isn't hard, its just new to people who just came out of GChem. It seems to take more time to study, and memorize, and apply knowledge, but beyond that I thought it was easier and more fun than GCHem. HOWEVER, it seems the trend is, people who liked GChem would hate OChem, and people who hate GChem likes OChem. It seems to work out that way from my experience.

Originally posted by relentless11
HOWEVER, it seems the trend is, people who liked GChem would hate OChem, and people who hate GChem likes OChem.
The *remote* possibility exists, of course, that some people hate both. ;)

Originally posted by Nvr Ending Jrny
thanks for all the replies. i just found out that it's possible for me to take chem102 this summer (at the very end after europe in 4 weeks). wouldn't it be very hard to take orgo/physics/bio in one semester? orgo and physics are 5 credits each and bio is 4, so would be okay to take only 14 credits? i really don't want to take 17 cause 3 labs is going to be really hard to for me.

I took Physiology, Orgo 2 and Physics 2 in one semester, plus I did research for 3 credits = 16 credits at my school. It's demanding but it can be done. I'd stay away from 17 credits, however.

I don't see anyway around taking 3 sciences for one semester. With being able to take chem 102 over the summer, that will free up some time in your winter semester so that you may be able to take the April MCAT. Otherwise, I suppose you could wait and take the Aug MCAT. Then you could theoretically take one of the classes over next summer, but I'd just get them out of the way and do something else w your summer (along with MCAT studying). I'd think seriously about taking a year off if you take the Aug MCAT though, I kindof wish I did that.