messed up...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kid_icarus

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

(btw. I've posted this also the EM board, so don't get mad, it's because I'm interested in both and want to hear opinions from both.)

I've been a wanderer around these boards for a while, but something happened which led me to start posting here.

First of all, I'm an M1.

I'm very interested in a residency in either EM or radiology, but not really sure which one yet.

The problem was a few days ago was my behavioral science final (not midterm, which I didn't know at the time), and I had some personal issues come up in the weekend. Needless to say, that affected my studying and I failed the exam. Therefore, failing the course. My first failure in an exam in my academic history.

In any case, I'll be taking a makeup exam to get the pass. Funny thing is that I've honored anatomy and physiology. But now, after taking this re-take, my transcript will show that I failed, then passed the class.

Now this mar on my record has given me a few sleepless nights, might you that I'm still in the middle of an exam week.

I need to know if this mar would affect my competitiveness in applying for these types of residencies. I hope to do well in my boards and my 3rd year, but that horrid "failed, but later passed" point on my transcript has me worried.

God, I wish they just replace the damn thing. It's not like I wanted that bad weekend. Please someone tell me I'm overreacting.

I would love some advice/consoling.

Thanks...
:scared:

Members don't see this ad.

kid_icarus said:
Hey All,

(btw. I've posted this also the EM board, so don't get mad, it's because I'm interested in both and want to hear opinions from both.)

I've been a wanderer around these boards for a while, but something happened which led me to start posting here.

First of all, I'm an M1.

I'm very interested in a residency in either EM or radiology, but not really sure which one yet.

The problem was a few days ago was my behavioral science final (not midterm, which I didn't know at the time), and I had some personal issues come up in the weekend. Needless to say, that affected my studying and I failed the exam. Therefore, failing the course. My first failure in an exam in my academic history.

In any case, I'll be taking a makeup exam to get the pass. Funny thing is that I've honored anatomy and physiology. But now, after taking this re-take, my transcript will show that I failed, then passed the class.

Now this mar on my record has given me a few sleepless nights, might you that I'm still in the middle of an exam week.

I need to know if this mar would affect my competitiveness in applying for these types of residencies. I hope to do well in my boards and my 3rd year, but that horrid "failed, but later passed" point on my transcript has me worried.

God, I wish they just replace the damn thing. It's not like I wanted that bad weekend. Please someone tell me I'm overreacting.

I would love some advice/consoling.

Thanks...
:scared:

Yeah, its a mar, but move on, and do your absolute best from here on out. Furthermore, if you had a reasonable circumstances that may have affected your performance you can mention it in your personal statement. IE a close relative died, you were going through a divorce, etc. If you want to do radiology or EM, you should definitely apply. Show the programs that it was a total fluke and honor everything else if you can.

Good luck!

Strong applicants are strong because of a pattern of success, and poor applicants are poor because of the opposite. Congratulations on honoring physio and anatomy, that will serve you well in the future. Please do not stress about this failure, just pass it and move on. Continue to work hard, and TWO YEARS from now when you are applying for rads you will have that pattern of success you need and this little "failure" will be an outlier. I disagree with the above post - I would not address this in your personal statement. Talk honestly about it if asked, which I highly doubt would ever happen. Sleep well tonight my friend, this is only a problem if it continues in the future. Oh ya, enjoy your last real summer vacation!

Members don't see this ad :)
I too would just act as if it never happened, unless you're asked about it point blank, then quickly mention you failed it. Don't make any big excuses, just say you were getting over a death in the family, or whatever, just don't elaborate too much or they'll think it's more important than it really is. Nobody will care though, and most people won't even notice it. DO NOT mention something as trivial as that. You didn't fail anatomy, or phys, or pharm, or anything. You failed BEHAVIORAL SCIENCE. Most rads people don't give 2 $hits about it.

Your step I will trump your preclinical grades. Prepare well!!

appreciate all the helpful comments and advice guys. I hope too it isn't a mar as well.

Just I'll have to own the Step I's. :)