Met a Medical Corps Marine today

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Apollyon

Screw the GST
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here in Hawai'i, met a full bird colonel in the USMC, who is in the Medical Corps, and serves as a psychiatrist. I said to him, "A Marine in the Medical Corps is as rare as hen's teeth", and he said "Rarer".

He had a huge rack of ribbons, with a lot of campaign ribbons, but I didn't see a Good Conduct medal. I wonder if he's prior service, or just been in a lot of theatres.

I know that the JAG Corps has Marines, and that the Medical Officer of the Marine Corps is a Rear Admiral (who wears the USMC uniform, just like the Chaplain of the Marine Corps), but ever known any other Marines that were doctors in the MC? I haven't.

Members don't see this ad.

Here in Hawai'i, met a full bird colonel in the USMC, who is in the Medical Corps, and serves as a psychiatrist. I said to him, "A Marine in the Medical Corps is as rare as hen's teeth", and he said "Rarer".

He had a huge rack of ribbons, with a lot of campaign ribbons, but I didn't see a Good Conduct medal. I wonder if he's prior service, or just been in a lot of theatres.

I know that the JAG Corps has Marines, and that the Medical Officer of the Marine Corps is a Rear Admiral (who wears the USMC uniform, just like the Chaplain of the Marine Corps), but ever known any other Marines that were doctors in the MC? I haven't.

The man you met is the Division Surgeon for the 4th Marine Division. He is a Navy Captain. Good guy.

Last edited:
The man you met is the Division Surgeon for the 4th Marine Division. He is a Navy Captian. Good guy.

Yeah, he seemed really solid. So you're saying he wears the green, but he is actually USN? He had the oak leaf and acorn on the left collar, as I'd expect of a Navy staff corpsman.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, he seemed really solid. So you're saying he wears the green, but he is actually USN? He had the oak leaf and acorn on the left collar, as I'd expect of a Navy staff corpsman.

When you are assigned to the Marine Corps, you have the option to go Marine Corps Regs. You must be within USMC height/weight standards and grooming standards. You are then permitted to wear all USMC uniforms. The USMC does have the best uniforms.

When you are assigned to the Marine Corps, you have the option to go Marine Corps Regs. You must be within USMC height/weight standards and grooming standards. You are then permitted to wear all USMC uniforms. The USMC does have the best uniforms.

To this I would add that all Navy personnel, within USMC standards or not, wear the Marine digital camo uniform when attached to USMC units. That uniform was the next best thing to lounging around in scrubs all day.

I was a Division Psychiatrist and an assistant Division Surgeon. I really miss the Marine Corps. I thought about joining the reserves with the intention of working with the 4th Marine Division. I'm afraid if I did it the Navy would activate me right away and force me to deploy with the Army or the Blueside. I tell you what I've been sharpening my clinical skills working with patients who are too sick to be in the military and I would probably be a better asset to the Navy now than before I left.

I'm not up on all the regs, but this guy had on the ribbons, but the green pants (not the blue with the blood stripe), and had the piss-cutter with him.

Was this what he was wearig? If yes, it is the Navy (not MC) aviation working greens. He might very well have been a flight surgeon, so he would be inclined to wear this uniform. I know of a few aviators who have this uniform and have worn it including a previous XO.

043.jpg

No suit coat. Khaki shirt with crow on R collar and MC oak leaf on L (but I think it was just a bit darker than in that picture). Ribbons on short sleeved shirt. Pants green, not blue with blood stripe. Cover was piss cutter, but I didn't look at the insignia; likely eagle, globe and anchor. Moreover, he replied in the affirmative when I referred to him as a "Marine in the Medical Corps", so I believe it unlikely to be naval aviation working greens.

No SWOS, submariner, or aviator insignia on him. A LOT of campaign/service ribbons, though.

I'll check closer when I see him again. Thanks for the heads up!

Probably wearing Marine Charlies. The pants with the blue and red stripe are more dress than daily. Charlies are (with the green pants) and the standard if not in Cammies

Figured as much... spent 4 years in the corps if I didn't know that it would be a sad state of affairs

So, if he's USN but attached to USMC, does he get addressed as "Captain" or "Colonel"? I mean, if it's a Corpsman, they're wearing their insignia, so it's evident, but the officer has the crow on one side, and the oak leaf on the other.

So, if he's USN but attached to USMC, does he get addressed as "Captain" or "Colonel"? I mean, if it's a Corpsman, they're wearing their insignia, so it's evident, but the officer has the crow on one side, and the oak leaf on the other.

Most assuredly: "Captain." And to add to it, I don't think I have heard the Eagle of the O6 referred to as a Crow. Petty Officers, yes, O6s, no. Perhaps just a deficiency on my part.

Most assuredly: "Captain." And to add to it, I don't think I have heard the Eagle of the O6 referred to as a Crow. Petty Officers, yes, O6s, no. Perhaps just a deficiency on my part.

Maybe I should have said "bird". My error. Then again, I don't know if I've ever heard "full bird captain", but only "full bird colonel".

Thank you for the update - I won't stumble again when I see him!

Maybe I should have said "bird". My error. Then again, I don't know if I've ever heard "full bird captain", but only "full bird colonel".

Thank you for the update - I won't stumble again when I see him!
The reason that the reference to full bird colonel is that there is a lesser rank lieutenant colonel. Full bird colonel differentiates from those lesser colonels.There is no lieutenant captain (although the Navy does have Rear Admiral (lower half)).

The reason that the reference to full bird colonel is that there is a lesser rank lieutenant colonel. Full bird colonel differentiates from those lesser colonels.There is no lieutenant captain (although the Navy does have Rear Admiral (lower half)).

I should have explained. I know that fully. I was a "play soldier" for 4 years in military college (one of the "senior military colleges" in the US).